Author Topic: Has Trinity been pulled?  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Has Trinity been pulled?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 05:10:51 AM »
Trinity isn't my favourite map but it is OK once you get past the front line stage, Beta2 is my pet hate. The problem with Trinity though is the time it takes to win. At least with any other map that you dislike it is gone in a few days.

It wouldn't be hard to make Trinity a better map. The choked front lines at the start position are the biggest issue. Unless there is a CV in range you only have one pair of airfields in close proximity per side, plus A1. This benefits the defender to the extent it is hard for an attacking side to make progress. Also, at the start position you often get only one picker infested furball to fight in, there is no choice of where to go.

This could be easily changed by reducing the height of the border mountains, which is simply a matter of HTC changing one number in a text file. So if this number was reduced to 1/3 its current value, it would reduce all the land altitude to 1/3 height over the whole terrain, thus making fields over the whole borders' length accessible. The main benefit of this approach is it would need no further bug testing.

Another way would be to cut two or three A1-style canyons through the mountains per border. Or add chains of island bases across the seas. This would be a lot more work though.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »
Trinity would be fun if it weren't for those stupid mountain ranges on the default front lines. 

You know, the mountain rainges that are only 3,000' lower than the summit of Everest.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Sg11

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »
wtf? Trinity was one of my favorite maps, there's a lot more maps I'd rather see pulled...  :bhead
sigh
Trinity was on of my favourites. I hope it will come back.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »
Trinity isn't my favourite map but it is OK once you get past the front line stage, Beta2 is my pet hate. The problem with Trinity though is the time it takes to win. At least with any other map that you dislike it is gone in a few days.

It wouldn't be hard to make Trinity a better map. The choked front lines at the start position are the biggest issue. Unless there is a CV in range you only have one pair of airfields in close proximity per side, plus A1. This benefits the defender to the extent it is hard for an attacking side to make progress. Also, at the start position you often get only one picker infested furball to fight in, there is no choice of where to go.

This could be easily changed by reducing the height of the border mountains, which is simply a matter of HTC changing one number in a text file. So if this number was reduced to 1/3 its current value, it would reduce all the land altitude to 1/3 height over the whole terrain, thus making fields over the whole borders' length accessible. The main benefit of this approach is it would need no further bug testing.

Another way would be to cut two or three A1-style canyons through the mountains per border. Or add chains of island bases across the seas. This would be a lot more work though.

Ya know Greebs...  you seem to have an "in" with HTC.  You do a lot of work for them and the AH community in general.  I hereby vote for you to be our voice.  I'm sure others will chime in and second the motion.  This post right here is a perfect example of how and why you'd be good for the position of "Player Liaison", you know the basics of the "coad" (not HTC specific), in particular in which maps are made and edited.  If changing Trinity is so simply then why does HTC not do it, especially if it would encourage more interaction between teams (lower mountains, etc)?

Oh, and I hereby vote for "USRanger" to be your right hand man.  I'm sure someone will chime in and second that motion too.  There are a few others that know the mechanics of the game as well, you may appoint them as needed.  Greebs and Ranger- with two of you gentlemen at the helm lets hope we can get some changes in AH.  You two need to start being very vocal with HTC and passing along this kind of thing in a vocal sort of way.  The only way many of us feel we would be heard is if we all stopped playing AH.   :(

Winter maps, desert maps, edits to maps already in rotation, etc.  Make it so.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
In Order to solve map issue's yes Maps are made by the player's we need a few more player's who are dedicated in learning the trade of map making,,,,

It seems to me there were several players involved in map making in the past but I remember a time where none of them were being approved and put in rotation.  There's no sense spending a lot of time on something that will never see the light of day so it seems most quit trying.

That's just my perception.

Beyond that there's still a ton of old maps that have gone away.  Where are they?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
Beyond that there's still a ton of old maps that have gone away.  Where are they?

there would be quite a lot to change on these old maps, just to list a few:

the town size have changed, some old maps would have the town overlapping the field  :)
the gv spawns have changed in radius, all of them would have to be checked
the strats have changed a lot, they'd have to be replaced
..etc...
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
Smokinloon, outside of working on default skins I have no more influence than any other player. My knowledge of the subject of map making comes from making my own MA map which is something any player can do.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
New cockpit glass > new maps.

:old:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
Beyond that there's still a ton of old maps that have gone away.  Where are they?

For the most part, they just didn't survive major terrain upgrades. We also 'lost' a few when the Arena Split happened in 2006 and all large maps were retired for about a year. After that, the were outdated and were in need of rework as well, which not all of them did get.
A few may have been pulled for gameplay issues, like the old fightertown map (new maps aren't allowed to have FT anymore) and maybe that "color by numbers" map (don't remember the real name) which had it's towns many miles away from bases.

By the way - much to my own surprise I read last night in game that "Lusche has confirmed that Trinity was retired by HTC"  :headscratch:
Seems some have trouble to differentiate between a statement and a question...  :old:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:20:48 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
I realize there have been many changes to the game since several maps were last seen but, all of the maps we play on now were in use then (and some since nearly the beginning of the game ie: NDIsles, Baltic and Uterus) and they have all been modified to accomodate all changes.

Saying they need updating is stating the obvious.  Saying that's why they aren't in play doesn't hold water.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
Saying that's why they aren't in play doesn't hold water.

Why not? It's a lot of work to update a map, and we got additional new maps by players in the meantime.
Also I provided additional explanations for selected maps as well  :P
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
Speaking of you Greebo, I wonder how your recent MA map submision is going?  (Seems there may be an opening  :aok ).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »
I was told by HTC a few weeks ago they were looking at my terrain, so fingers crossed we might see it soon.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 04:18:46 AM »
I was told by HTC a few weeks ago they were looking at my terrain, so fingers crossed we might see it soon.

:x
now posting as SirNuke

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
  I liked Trinity also and will miss the killer cookouts we had there at the spawn camp......

Molsman

+1      Pass the mustard, who brought the potato salad? :devil
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.