Author Topic: My Latest Sci-Fi Novel Has Been Released  (Read 3192 times)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Re: My Latest Sci-Fi Novel Has Been Released
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 03:14:47 AM »
I once read an awesome story some guy wrote about a squadron of A-10s that went back in time to Julius Caesar's Rome, and helped the legions suppress rebellions.  There was a bit of discontinuity as he had Hannibal crossing the alps in the story, which obviously was before Caesar's time.  Nevertheless there's this great battle scene where the Carthaginian elephants are charging the Roman line.  The line breaks, and all seems lost when Caesar calls in the airstrike.  You can imagine what a squadron of A-10s do to a bunch of elephants.

It was like Final Countdown meets 300.  Amazing!

This post made me think of:

Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
Those crazy Finns that did "Iron Sky" is prepping for another film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLZFCi_HwKQ#!

Their promo trailer looks very interesting!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
I once read an awesome story some guy wrote about a squadron of A-10s that went back in time to Julius Caesar's Rome, and helped the legions suppress rebellions.  There was a bit of discontinuity as he had Hannibal crossing the alps in the story, which obviously was before Caesar's time.  Nevertheless there's this great battle scene where the Carthaginian elephants are charging the Roman line.  The line breaks, and all seems lost when Caesar calls in the airstrike.  You can imagine what a squadron of A-10s do to a bunch of elephants.

It was like Final Countdown meets 300.  Amazing!

:rofl
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
I also want to see a movie where the USS Enterprise goes back to the Civil War and, after a big dramatic on-ship confrontation, decides to fight for - well, I'll let it be a surprise which side they fight for.  I just want to see those Hornets come screaming in with cluster bombs right in the middle of the climatic cavalry charge...

Crimson Tide meets Glory

Woo hoo!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:37:45 PM by Stellaris »

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
GScholz gets it!  :D  Although if Vasquez was at all realistic, she'd have thought, "I hope I never have to shoot an alien in the face with my backup S&W 39.  That would probably suck."

Perhaps my attempt at humor was a little too narrow, guys.  More precisely, my goal is to write science fiction adventure with compelling characters, a fast-paced plot, and lots of action.  I like modern firearms, as do most of my fans, so I try to incorporate them into my adventures.  James Cameron's Aliens is an obvious influence; sci-fi weapons don't have to be all pew-pew-pew lasers.

& I want knee high acid resistant boots so I can step on their faces & not get burned by acid blood.  :old:  :x
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »
Unlike others I'm not going to make any sarcastic comments as I'm currently writing a story about an alien craft which appears in the sky and the reaction of the people of Earth to this apparition. Also I notice you are sold out which implies good sales.

Also I love your P&W eagle logo. I have a metal one like that on my fridge. Pathetic really but of such symbols.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
Hey whoa - there's no sarcasm there.  I am having a bit of fun with the time-travel crossover concept, but I'm a writer myself, I know what it means to get published.  Respect. :rock

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
...sci-fi weapons don't have to be all pew-pew-pew lasers.

Oh and one sci-fi movie that has great alien firepower is the South African film "District 9". Probably the best and most creative I've seen on the big screen.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »
I thought District 9 was AWESOME! It was on the edge just enough to keep me glued to the screen the whole time and had me hooked.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
Yeah. The battle scenes with Vilkus in the power armor was particularly epic!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
Temporarily out of stock...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in my writing!  I wish I could take credit for Amazon being out of stock of the print version of The Fox and the Eagle, unfortunately this is actually due to a problem at their Arizona warehouse and not an indication of my sales prowess.  As you may have noticed, there are no supply issues with the Kindle version, so if you have a Kindle-compatible device or the front-end program on your PC, you can get it immediately.

I have been in regular contact with my publisher and Amazon regarding the supply problem.  My publisher confirmed that four dozen hard copies were sent to Amazon as of 11/18, and today Amazon confirmed the receipt of said shipment, though they had not yet been entered into inventory.  Needless to say this makes my sales pitch a bit awkward.  I apologize for the problem, and Amazon is pretty sure (for what it's worth) that The Fox and the Eagle will be listed as "in stock" by tomorrow.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:34 PM »

This post made me think of:

(Image removed from quote.)

YES!  :rofl :rofl

I was thinking that same thing actually LOL
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain