Author Topic: Fw 190 fuel tank burn order  (Read 3929 times)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Fw 190 fuel tank burn order
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

It may be just a seasonal thing, but I came across a lot of bad advice in the game in the past weeks. Including this 190 fuel tank thing. Unfortunately players spreading such hearsay advice are often immune against reasoning, even explaining the causes and details won't change their mind.

Perhaps it's because you're flying Bish this tour :D

No exaggeration...every single time I log in I see someone on country making some kind of cheat/hack accusation  :rofl
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
You can take or leave my personal advice. It works for me.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »

It may be just a seasonal thing, but I came across a lot of bad advice in the game in the past weeks. Including this 190 fuel tank thing. Unfortunately players spreading such hearsay advice are often immune against reasoning, even explaining the causes and details won't change their mind.

Even explaining the differences between the various big caliber guns couldn't convince a certain player that the P-39D is the best tank buster in game. after all, only gun 'size' matters and he was sure HTC had modeled the guns this way instead of listening to such BS as shell type or muzzle velocity...

:confused:

:huh  :(  :rofl   

Clearly, someone with enough experience to dismiss all those .30 and .50cals ricocheting off a tank's hull ingame for being just eye-candy.  :banana:

Can't really go off on these new guys for being criticly wrong on some things... just flawed.  Like the Hurricane IIB and its armament of 12 x .30cals, sure it'll work and shoot down a plane.

Same with the logic on the forward fuel tank in the 190.  It's the forward tank, so it must be forward, right?

IF it was actualy located forward of the aircraft's CG, then draining it would indeed move the CG further aft.  Logical.  However, upon researching the facts, one will find all the 190's tanks, inluding the smaller forward tank, are actualy located aft of the aircraft's CG, thus if you drain it first (or last) you're actualy moving the aircraft's CG further forward, increasing this "nose heavy behavior" in direct contradiction to all those voicing an opinion to you via in-game chat that doing so not only won't, but somehow will improove this behavior (  :rofl  :lol  :devil  :ahand ).

You can take or leave my personal advice. It works for me.

There is some logic to it, this isn't a discussion about why one should do it one way over another ("right and wrong"), just that one speific reason for draining the forward tank first is unfounded.

I am not dismissing anyone's efforts.  Remember, the 190 only has two (2) tanks (sometimes a very (very) small third).  Some planes have it even worse, imho, having only one tank.  Draining one tank to absolute zero (0.000) assures you that your two-tank equiped 190 is now only equiped with a single (1) useful fuel tank now.  If I'm going to be in a puffy-ack heavy region (CVs or strat), with or without a DT but a long enough distance from a safe field, and I don't want to get another and frequent fuel hit to tank A or B - I am often rewarded (although as equaly as I won't be for the effort imho) for the effort of not putting all my eggs/fuel in one basket/tank.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:00:03 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
I think what they are saying here is your going to get a LOT of conflicting information here and in the game. Soda's while informative hasn't been updated in years. In that time some planes have gone through flight model changes, weight changes and so on.

Basically read what you can, test what you can and go from there. In time you will get to know which people to listen to and which only THINK they know what they are talking about. There all kinds of stories out there about how this plane fights better when you drain this tank first, or if you shoot off all the 303 to lighten the nose and so on. The only thing that makes the planes fly better is the pilot, and he only does it because he has tested it and practiced it a couple million times.

So listen/read and take it all with a grain of salt and then go out and practice it! oh btw of perverts 303 kils this month 300 of them are in the D9..... just saying   :devil

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »

I am not dismissing anyone's efforts.  Remember, the 190 only has two (2) tanks (sometimes a very (very) small third).  Some planes have it even worse, imho, having only one tank.  Draining one tank to absolute zero (0.000) assures you that your two-tank equiped 190 is now only equiped with a single (1) useful fuel tank now.  If I'm going to be in a puffy-ack heavy region (CVs or strat), with or without a DT but a long enough distance from a safe field, and I don't want to get another and frequent fuel hit to tank A or B - I am often rewarded (although as equaly as I won't be for the effort imho) for the effort of not putting all my eggs/fuel in one basket/tank.

152 has 4.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Ta152 is a 190 and it isn't a 190, it's a different beast.  Not best at all to bring up at the rudimentary level, unless you're volunteering to teach RotBaron its differences and subtle intricacies (particularly in this thread touching on the subject about turn capabilities, sustained turn rates and CoGs).  He's also been suplied with links to previous 190 threads that go into more detail between the differences of each 190, while being specific in regards to looking for information on the 190A-5 and A-8.

Even with little to no fuel, the CG in a 152 is precariously aftwards, but the fuel definitely exacerbates it.  The wing tanks aren't so much an issue with CG as they're (compared to the aft and fwd tanks) relatively well balanced to its CG (unless you crate an issue with making them unbalanced).  With such a wide wingspan and aftward-CG, you have to limit how fast it can roll, or else you'll become unstable in the yaw axis and quickly swap your nose for your tail.  All the other 190s, comparatively, are near impossible to create such an aggressive departure from controlled flight at such a high speed or energy state... again, it is a 190, but it's a different beast to learn or reach an understanding about 190s in whole.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:05:20 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
Ta152 is a 190 and it isn't a 190, it's a different beast.  Not best at all to bring up at the rudimentry level, unless you're volunteering to teach RotBaron its differences and subtle intriquacies (particularly in this thread touching on the subject about turn capabilities, sustained turn rates and CoGs).  He's also been suplied with links to previous 190 threads that go into more detail between the differences of each 190, while being specific in regards to looking for information on the 190A-5 and A-8.

It is a 190 and as such included in your statement 190 only has 2 tanks. Just clearing it up.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »
So many great and informative posts following up my last post, I can't say enough. The 190 diagram speaks volumes, along with the additional informative comments, I believe that sums it up and I thank you very much.

Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
I believe that sums it up

you have not been around these forums long enough  :D
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
 i tend to burn Fwd first to 1/2 then aft down to 1/4 on the A5 A8 D9 F8.  The A8 never more than 75% fuel clean, if i use a drop tank, 50% internal fuel for A5 A8 D9.

My understanding of the fuel tank placement was that they were side by side under the pilot, but im probably wrong
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57