Author Topic: Do P51s breed sucky pilots??  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do P51s breed sucky pilots??
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »
This is not a whine thread to start with, . . .

Ha! Self-administered foreplay is what it looks like.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
It doesn't turn well when slow (full flaps), or roll well, also if you just disengaged from a fight and won, it's not like our K4 or D9, it is a heavy mofo and it feels like it takes ages to accelerate, also there's not much of a reward for anyone who would push/fly a P51(assuming you mean mostly D's) to its limits. 5 ENY, even your dora is 15, we make some perks when we win fights :)

Not that perks are really any incentive what so ever, just a thought.

Anyway that's how the 51D felt the times I've flown it. Also if someone sees a super slow pony just out of a turn fight, it's like seeing a low mossie, everyone wants the runstang/easy perks (or that's what I think  :lol )

There are however a few good pony pilots, ran into DirtDevl earlier, he was damn good, BigR comes to mind as well. Other than that though, you're right, not too many good pony pilots.

Obviously, you've never seen 0lDemon on the deck mixing it up.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »
This question could be asked about many more planes like La7, Spit 16, K4 to mention some.

I would say overall there are more aggressive pony pilots than there are 190D pilots. 

It isn't the plane that makes someone timid just the pilot.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »

+1

If this is who im thinking of, it was a very memorable experiance......he had me shedding parts more than a SAPP landing. Was the first time i wished a pony would have run away  :lol

Love the guys that stick around and fight the Pony D/B  :aok always a good time
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 06:35:53 AM »
That old goat gave up went to that World of Tonka. But yes he normally stuck around low and slow.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 07:06:42 AM »
Most people think fighting has to be low and slow but the Pony excels at going fast.  Therefore, to fly smart and to the strengths of my Pony I must keep it slightly below compression at all times, right?  :uhoh

I've been trying to help my brother learn some other planes (finally got him to venture from the Spit16).  He basically had no idea how to "fight fast".  I think a whole lot of people don't, and that's why the Pony gets such a bad rep.  Sad too.  It's such a great plane.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »
I owned Pervert in my Typhoon his Narzzie plane was toast :old:

He logged straight after as well :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 07:16:44 AM »
Steve was always a good P-51 stick, at least from my memory. Haven't seen him around in awhile though.

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 07:40:23 AM »
Isn't SirNuke in your squad?  :) Pretty sure he flies the 51D almost all the time. Though I haven't 1v1 him yet...I think. So I don't know how good he really is but he's definitely good at BnZing if you want to call it that.  ;)

thats why he says the P51 breed crappy pilots  :lol And we did 1V1 in the past, the K4 matchup is always troublesome tho  :cry
now posting as SirNuke

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Guess it struck a chord with you, eh?

No other speed demon can do what the P51D can do in its entirety. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Isn't SirNuke in your squad?  :) Pretty sure he flies the 51D almost all the time. Though I haven't 1v1 him yet...I think. So I don't know how good he really is but he's definitely good at BnZing if you want to call it that.  ;)

thats why he says the P51 breed crappy pilots  :lol And we did 1V1 in the past, the K4 matchup is always troublesome tho  :cry
now posting as SirNuke

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »
This is not a whine thread to start with, but I was wondering tonight why is there not a dedicated core of good P51 sticks? Its the most popular plane in the game hands down but I cannot honestly remember the last time I was impressed with a P51 that I ran into in the MA, the 2 I do remember Sunbat and Grmrpr that was years ago.

Could it be that one of its most used strengths 'running away real fast' is the reason no one consistently pushes this plane and therefore why they 'P51 pilots' continue to suck in it? I have flown it before and I think its got a lot of great attributes, maybe only lacking in the thrust department, so why do you all fly around like really bad AI in a really good plane??

All planes have their strengths and weaknesses, the ponies are most likely the most well known, as the plane is. When people jump in it, it is because this is the plane they read about, this is the plane they think they know. However, once you've flown it a while you learn that it isn't the domineering  plane you read it to be.... in the game at least. So most look toward other planes to fly, the K4 for speed and cannon, the Spit16 for speed turn and cannon, and so on. Those few that stay in the pony are very good at it but do fight it to its strengths, like most people do with other planes. You don't see too many dora's turn fighting on the deck, why would you expect to see the ponies doing it? 

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:44 AM »

There is a prevailing myth among pilots that the 51 can't do dogfights.
Need to get this out of pilot's heads.
Its good enough to trespass at least a little bit into turny plane's territory.
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
ran into DirtDevl earlier, he was damn good, BigR comes to mind as well. Other than that though, you're right, not too many good pony pilots.
Same here, his pull up HO was most excellent. Better than most other P51 Degenerates
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »
Guess it struck a chord with you, eh?

No other speed demon can do what the P51D can do in its entirety. 

I don't fly the P-51D unless I need to blow something up.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.