Author Topic: I hate the La7  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
I hate the La7
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »
Nothing else is as annoyingly dangerous to me as the La7! I hate it!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: I hate the La7
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »

Fly the mighty Spitfire.  :joystick:

I (and you can too) pwn LA7s daily, unless they run away and then are no threat anyway. :)

Problem solved. :aok
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:57:18 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »
Depends on type of fighting.  I can deal easier with La7's in a dogfight than I can Spit16's.  The Spit16 simply have more tricks in their bag when it comes to 1v1  knife fighting.  The La7's biggest trick is to run from a superior knife fighter, or chase down a slower aircraft.  The second thing is the triple 20mm cannons.  Third, it can accelerate and climb like a banshee.  Turn and roll are average, really. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »

If one gets on your 6, let it get about D700 & kick full left rudder and split S to your left & extend out, works for me most of the time. If you see one coming dead at you on your 12 o'clock, dive hard and keep going straight under it gain some E and either keep going or pull up and go for a snapshot from below.
Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »
quick someone call the waaambulance
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
One of the best fights I got into was an La7 against my Yak9u, low, slow, turn & burn over the water.. quite the white-knuckle tangle & weave. I managed to squeak out a victory after we collided and he crashed.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »
To me this is the apex of the game.  Taking on rides that are far more capable than mine and finding a way to win.

It is just a conspiracy of mind!  :old:

Yes uber rides have more options.  Great feedback in this thread though on dealing with them.  If you have to engage and don't have E or alt try to force the uber ride pilot to make a mistake.  If nothing else to give you time and extension.

Heck if nothing else when he is on your 6 cut the throttle, slam the rudder over, turn hard (basically speed breaking) and let him fly past.  Take a shot if you get one.  Don't expect to get a 2nd chance on that technique though.  

Still on your 6? Dump the flaps and fly in between the trees.  These things I do but I avoid stick stirring (just my thing = too gamey for me).  If you are still alive TAKE IT TO HIM! Uber ride dudes don't expect this sometimes.  This is a mistake on their part.  

If he is using his superior climb and acceleration at this point to position for a last killing pass...use it against him.  You may have just enough E to turn your nose on his (or part of his fuselage).   Dont bump your nose until the last split second.  He may think you do not posses the E. What a surprise it is when he discovers you do!  :rock

EDIT:
Greebo is a master at this BTW.  Like no other.  When you think you have him (or so out match his position) he finds a way to even the odds and even kill you.  He is amazing at this.  I have learned so much by being killed by Greebo.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:04:06 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »
PERK IT!  :P
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

Is it 2005 again?  :uhoh

Nah.  The La7 has too many things going against it to perk.  Very limited range and an ord package not worth mentioning, it truly is a short range low level interceptor.  On the same token though... the Spit 14 is perked.  Hmm.

I say give the P51D a perk price though.  Even if it is only 1 or 2.  For all that can do I'm surprised it is not.  It isn't like it is tough to earn perk points in fighter/attack mode.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline blazer65

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
They can't turn well at all, just dont run away from them and theres no problem.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
Nah.  The La7 has too many things going against it to perk.  Very limited range and an ord package not worth mentioning, it truly is a short range low level interceptor.  On the same token though... the Spit 14 is perked.  Hmm.

I say give the P51D a perk price though.  Even if it is only 1 or 2.  For all that can do I'm surprised it is not.  It isn't like it is tough to earn perk points in fighter/attack mode.   

The LA7 can run surprisingly far and fast using low throttle and rpm. Just need to be careful while fighting not to run it dry.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
I love the LA7 for ONE thing only. Speed.

Take away its speed advantage and you make LAs cry.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »
The La-7 as a whole in no way needs to be perked. I'd argue for perking the third 20mm option, though, as this was a very rare configuration IRL but is pretty much the MA standard.

That said, La-7s are best at low-altitude energy fighting. Force her to turn and she has a lot of weaknesses to exploit. You have to really keep the pressure up, though. Give her an opening to grab some running room and she'll slip away from you fast. Also, while the 20mm hit hard the ballistics kinda blow, (its' been a while, but IIRC the only guns in her class that are worse in that regard are the Japanese 20mm) so keep maneuvering and you'll give most La drivers fits just trying to score a hit.

I LOVE running into La-7s above 15k. She does NOT like altitude, and most of the American iron will eat La-7s for lunch once you get up there. Drag the fight higher and force her to engage close-quarters, and more often than not you'll have a dead La-7.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »
Las can turn better than 109Gs, through the whole speed range, also have a good turn radius thanks to their large flaps.
Fun fights for sure if the lala pilot knows how to fly.
AoM
City of ice