Author Topic: INK'S understanding of AH Lingo  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: INK'S understanding of AH Lingo
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
*Darbar: The counter vaguely displaying the relative number of enemy (red) or friendly (green) planes in a given sector

Or in other words: The thing that suddenly jumps from 'almost nothing' to 'full sector' out of nowhere the very moment you run into the 8 P-51 at 15K...  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
I must be pretty archaic as I still call them drunks, and eggs. At least since Air Warrior.

Also a lawndart and an auger are two different things. Lawndart is flying straight down into the ground usually at high speed,(normally associated with P-38's, but can be used for any plane) where for it truly to be an auger there must be a rotating motion for the plane to screw itself into the ground. (Normally associated with a stall and spin into the ground.)

I still do too =)

Also, fixed above!  Thanks!
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
Lancstuka
-AoM-

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,281337.0.html

(some backstories on some of them terms I've infected AH with.  :devil  )

"anklehumpers" - from my end, anyway. Back in the old days there was this ancient game HT played called Air Warrior in which people knew each other as random numbers. That changed and they acquired handles. There was this one lady who played, "subby" whom I had never met nor seen when I arrived during AW3 (Gamestorm). I did however get to "know" of her through others, and one of her smack-downs was "arp! get off my leg!"  I just ran a bit further with it and morphed it to anklehumpers, since you all weren't even good/smart/whatever enough to even reach my "leg."  Imagine a little chichiquaua... lolz.

"slobberdonkeys" - an online pic showing some donkey-headed guy braying at his monitor with spittle flying. Sounds very descriptive of most of you when I shot you down (and let you know how much you sucked) or you tried to respond to some of my smack. "You" being plural, as often as not. 

"castrati" - Came across the term in a book. Looked it up... since I know most people know what castrated means, it might encourage them to look it up and make their own associations (talk about pwnage, heh.)

<edit>
"milquetoasts" - go look it up. 

"Hordemonkey" - Doing a search on the term first shows it by myself in 2002, lol and the most frequent user. I was using it in-game prior to "castrati."

"Base/Ackbunnies" - kind of self-explanatory, being all huggy and @%!#.  Dunno if they've been used much lately.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »
My little pet peeve with the lingo in game is referring to bombers as "buffs", especially since "buff" referrs to only one particular bomber, the B-52.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »
When I was playing the game(stupid real life!) I was one of the games best fighters , Shooting and fighting skills were unmatched by anyone.. Then the sad day came and I woke up and realized that I was just a gamer that loved the game .. Party on All !!  :rock :rock :salute
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
When I was playing the game(stupid real life!) I was one of the games best fighters , Shooting and fighting skills were unmatched by anyone.. Then the sad day came and I woke up and realized that I was just a gamer that loved the game .. Party on All !!  :rock :rock :salute

(Who is this guy?)^^^^^^^
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »
Its shppr01.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »
In case it was missed, one of the oldest.

"cc"
-AoM-

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »

Flopstar - one who relies on the landtrout maneuver.

Landtrout Maneuver - evasives generally performed by fast rolling planes like the FW, close to the deck being pursued in which they change their roll axis so quickly the fm/internet has difficulty keeping up and it looks like they're flopping around like a fish out of water, albeit in a more or less straight line, making landing hits difficult.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Brakechk

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:13 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,281337.0.html

(some backstories on some of them terms I've infected AH with.  :devil  )

"anklehumpers" - from my end, anyway. Back in the old days there was this ancient game HT played called Air Warrior in which people knew each other as random numbers. That changed and they acquired handles. There was this one lady who played, "subby" whom I had never met nor seen when I arrived during AW3 (Gamestorm). I did however get to "know" of her through others, and one of her smack-downs was "arp! get off my leg!"  I just ran a bit further with it and morphed it to anklehumpers, since you all weren't even good/smart/whatever enough to even reach my "leg."  Imagine a little chichiquaua... lolz.

"slobberdonkeys" - an online pic showing some donkey-headed guy braying at his monitor with spittle flying. Sounds very descriptive of most of you when I shot you down (and let you know how much you sucked) or you tried to respond to some of my smack. "You" being plural, as often as not. 

"castrati" - Came across the term in a book. Looked it up... since I know most people know what castrated means, it might encourage them to look it up and make their own associations (talk about pwnage, heh.)

<edit>
"milquetoasts" - go look it up. 

"Hordemonkey" - Doing a search on the term first shows it by myself in 2002, lol and the most frequent user. I was using it in-game prior to "castrati."

"Base/Ackbunnies" - kind of self-explanatory, being all huggy and @%!#.  Dunno if they've been used much lately.

"Slobberdonkey" always made me laugh...can't believe I forgot about anklehumper lol.  My wife used to come into the computer room and ask me what was so funny...
 :rofl  :salute
Brakechk/Zaphod

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »
Changeup, You might not know me cause I always saluted those that killed me wether it was fair or naot and I never complained on the bbs about anything. In other words , I was just a player on the 353rd FG roster !!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
Its shppr01.

Exactly... Who?  Claims to being the best fighter and shooter are fairly high claims sir.  Those usually remembered.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:31:37 PM by Changeup »

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »
You apparently can't read too well! I said I was one of the best then I woke up! Meaning that I was one of the worst ingame and still am. Only in my dreams am I a great stick !!! (If you have to explain a joke, it's no longer funny I guess ) 

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
You apparently can't read too well! I said I was one of the best then I woke up! Meaning that I was one of the worst ingame and still am. Only in my dreams am I a great stick !!! (If you have to explain a joke, it's no longer funny I guess ) 

Ahhh, yes.  That's the problem with me answering from my iPhone...its small and I get in a hurry.  My bad. :salute