Author Topic: the most timid  (Read 28090 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: the most timid
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
What both of you are effectively saying is, you want your opponents to give you a chance that they don't have to.

Wiley.

What we are explaining is why excessive running hurts game play,the community, and the game. What are asking is for those who run to maybe explain it. They can't. You and FLS keep defending their "right" to run, without explaining the rationell for running. If there is a good reason, I could be persuaded to respect it, and the player. So far no such case has been brought forth. Neither by you or FLS.

Would like to actually explain it?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
These are all symptoms....just symptoms.  The disease is score and how it affects status.  

The effect of score on 'status' is often overrated.

As a frequently "top ranked" player for years, I can say

- almost nobody cares about it in the first place
- In case someone actually does, the derogatory remarks outnumber the 'admiring'  ones by at least 3-1. The latter ones usually coming from very new players only. Almost everybody else doesn't care if I'm ranked #1 or #855.

Last year I was #1 in fighters for the first time ever in my 7 years of AH... and I still don't get laid  :furious  :cry
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:34:29 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
These are all symptoms....just symptoms.  The disease is score and how it affects status.  The people typing about fighting are generally the folks I know to NOT care about score...note I said people I know.   They know who they are.

Score to most relates as follows:

Score = skill level = should be respected by the community as a capable fighter without a need to either fight or prove ones score

There you have it.  Eliminate all scoring and everyone will fight.  Why?  No particular reason to stay alive except pride and that will get beaten out of your bellybutton quickly in an environment that's only pecking order tree is based on films of you beating the snot out of others

Have a nice day

Dr Changeup
even 6 year old kids playing youth soccer where Mon won't let them keep score....even they keep track of who's winning
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
even 6 year old kids playing youth soccer where Mon won't let them keep score....even they keep track of who's winning
That's a team sport.  Scores in game are not team scores.  Poor example

What they actually keep track of are the number of studs on the opposing team, not the score itself.  Having played sports at a high level and having a 10 year old son who plays, the kids know who the studs are the minute the game starts.  There are gamers and there are people who need a score to officially declare a victor.   I can tell you like scores, lmao!  

I'm saying with no score in game, people would have nothing to equate their uberness to except how many fights they win or lose AND who is beating them.  Period
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:41:16 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
These are all symptoms....just symptoms.  The disease is score and how it affects status.

I would go further Dr. Changeup and say that it is a manifestation of an increasingly results-focused and egotistical Western culture announcing primarily as an insecure symptomatic mismatch betwixt words and deeds, the newly installed 'Kill Club' section of our forum being a prime example of the value of presentation over content.

It's not the 'score' as such, it's how 'products of the above culture' interpret their defeats in this Virtual Environment.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
The effect of score on 'status' is often overrated.

As a frequently "top ranked" player for years, I can say

- almost nobody cares about it in the first place
- In case someone actually does, the derogatory remarks outnumber the 'admiring'  ones by at least 3-1. The latter ones usually coming from very new players only. Almost everybody else doesn't care if I'm ranked #1 or #855.

Last year I was #1 in fighters for the first time ever in my 7 years of AH... and I still don't get laid  :furious  :cry

You're entitled to your opinion.  I, therefore you, is the worst way to make an argument.  Truth is that you, nor I have any idea what others think about scoring...or how scoring affects their gameplay.  You just don't Lusche.  Please don't try to make an argument that is fact based on your opinions because the only fact involved in that argument is that it's your opinion.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:17 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion.  I, therefore you, is the worst way to make an argument.  Truth is that you, nor I have any idea what others think about scoring...or how scoring affects their gameplay.  You just don't Lusche.  Please don't try to make an argument that is fact based on your opinions because the only fact involved in that argument is that it's your opinion.

Totally unlike your statments which don't have any opinion in them, right? :)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
I would go further Dr. Changeup and say that it is a manifestation of an increasingly results-focused and egotistical Western culture announcing primarily as an insecure symptomatic mismatch betwixt words and deeds, the newly installed 'Kill Club' section of our forum being a prime example of the value of presentation over content.

It's not the 'score' as such, it's how 'products of the above culture' interpret their defeats in this Virtual Environment.

An example would be "you beat me but my score is better than yours,  so I'm actually a better cartoon pilot than you"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
look tardlings... I am the most timid....

... it is settled... here is a doughnut... (or a Berliner/pfannkuchen for Snailman)

oh.. and score means jack butt-cake
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
I nominate SQUAT for flying in the red gangbange last night along with saying your going to bring your 109 at 5 k then seeing you at 10 k coming in.

:lol
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »

... it is settled... here is a doughnut... (or a Berliner/pfannkuchen for Snailman)

I made my claim before you!  :old:

But I'm willing to sell my rigths for another Berliner  :noid

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »

Totally unlike your statments which don't have any opinion in them, right? :)

Mine was a hypothesis that I expected to generate a healthy discourse to prove or negate.  Your ensuing counter was an opinion.  I can cite exactly 131 in game pictures of players on 200 quoting someone else's score to try to diminish the other players skill level.  Thats a fact.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
I don't believe there was an implication that the MA should be duels only. Rather that more fighting and less running makes for more, well, fighting  :banana:

Of course if people want to run that's up to them, as I watch them go I often think to myself: yup that guy doesn't want to fight. After I break off and he comes back, I think: he definitely wants kills though.  :lol

Don't you think it has more to do with Timid Timmy lacking the confidence to fight on your terms?  In a P-38, I don't have the skill to engage and kill a Ki-84 unless I have some sort of an advantage.  I'm simply not good enough.

I think fighting is awesome.  Sometimes I mindlessly furball and fight in an effort to sharpen my skills.  Disadvantage be damned.  I mean, it is instructive.  You really do learn to push your a/c a little further, and that's a good thing.  I reach a point though, where I feel like I'm just being a dummy.  Up.  Shoot.  Kill.  Die.  Repeat.  Doing that over and over (or stone sober  :)) isn't really fun to me.  It's then I start trying to actually pay attention to stuff around me.  Yes, that means I'm actually trying to survive.  Sometimes that means discretion is the better form of valor, knowing one's limitations, and other profound expressions.  

:salute
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »
lol love the cheating accusation from TKO in your sig Snailman ;D

that guy is a real piece of work

With regard to the actual topic at hand, you just have to accept that there are more people that want to not die than there are people that want to have a good fight

Score or no score, sadly that is just the way it is. Most people are wired to feel that dying (even if it's only in a cartoon plane of which there are an infinite number in the hangar) is a negative thing and will do everything they can to avoid it

Die-hard fight at all costs types might say 'well that's fine, but why do they have to be so lame and decide to fight when they have a 3-1 advantage, or pick me when I find someone that DOES want to fight'  etc etc...

Again, sadly, that's just the way it is. Human nature. Cheap tactics and lack of sportsmanship are not limited to Aces High, but they are especially common because there is not much in the game to prohibit or discourage it. So from that we can assume that HiTech wants it that way.

They surely don't want the majority of their playerbase (i.e. the timid players) unsubscribing because they are suddenly forced into fair fights against players who will :ahand them every time...
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »

oh.. and score means jack butt-cake

It is so obvious, I am much more timid than all of you...

1. I never fight unless there are 10 friendlies against that single P40C.
2. I will never fly anything slower than a P51.
3. I always HO on the merge, especially if there are more good guys around than bad.
4. I engage, run and only reengage when the other guy is engaged with some one else.

You see bunnies, it is not possible to be more timid than me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:03:36 PM by Tom5572 »
80th FS "Headhunters"