Author Topic: advantages/disadvantages of being in a squad  (Read 2962 times)

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
advantages/disadvantages of being in a squad
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
What are they? I don't want to join and then not fulfill whatever responsibilities being in a squad entails; but I don't want to give up the freedom to fly what and when I like either.
TIA

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: advantages/disadvantages of being in a squad
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
Don't just join the first squad that invites you. Fly around with different squads to see what you like, and don't like about each one. Then look for a squad that suits you.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
This isn't Glee Club.
Retired

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
Try a few, find one that fits with you.  If you're a super competitive person, you're not going to be happy with a casual squad and vice versa.  The most important thing IMO is to get along with your squaddies.

I'll take a newb that fits with the personalities in the squad over 10 stone killers that don't.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline blazer65

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
Basically, squads are groups of players who have decided to fly together in some sort of structured fashion.

Squads vary wildly in their attitudes, expections, goals, and structures.  Some are very laid back, non historical, and basically just a group of guys who fly together when they are playing.  Other squads are very historically minded, recreating an actual WWII squadron, flying dedicated squad aircrafts (i.e. a P-38 squad, or BF109 squad, etc), flying structured missions, formation flying, wingman tactics, etc.  And there are any number of squads who fall somewhere in between.

Most squads, even the highly structed ones, only will require you to fly specific types of aircrafts, or participate in structured missions/events, on designated nights, or for specific special events, and you would be free to fly whatever/whereever you wanted at any other times.  

In my opinion, you should ask yourself what you are looking for out of a squad(i.e. types of planes, historically minded or not, what nights you can participate in their squad nights, what special events you'd like to participate in, etc.), and look for a squad that you think you would naturally fit in with.  There are tons of great squads and players to hook up with in this game, and they all offer something a little different from the next.

Hope this helps.  Good luck to you.  In my opinion, being part of a squad adds an extra dimension to the game, and a lot fun too.   :salute

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
All squads are different.  What is your flying style and game attitude?  

So many variables...

Side switching vs game piece loyal
War winning vs fighting
Bomber/Jabo vs furball
Loose squad vs Militant
Axis vs Allied aircraft dominant

Etc......
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
good squaddies make good bait!!  

bad squaddies steal all your kills!  

colonials talk funny   :old:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »
I never really liked being in a squad. Sure its fun but after a while I prefer to be on my own, then again i'm kind of anti-social. It teaches you to learn about your surroundings and how to get out of bad situations. If I was in a squad it was probably for 2-3 weeks max. There's a lot of fun things to do in a squad, you just have to find out what squads do what you like and when they do it.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
squaddies make good bait!!  

good squaddies steal all your kills!  

Bruv talks funny   :old:

I fixed it.
Retired

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
bail
-AoM-

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
You get to call them names on squad channel.  :devil

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
bail
If they were good squaddies they'd be in with you.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
good squaddies make good bait!!  

bad squaddies steal all your kills!  

colonials talk funny   :old:
:lol  Now shut your pie hole and finish my McDonalds order you fancy lad.  :neener:
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
Basically, squads are groups of players who have decided to fly together in some sort of structured fashion.

Squads vary wildly in their attitudes, expections, goals, and structures.  Some are very laid back, non historical, and basically just a group of guys who fly together when they are playing.  Other squads are very historically minded, recreating an actual WWII squadron, flying dedicated squad aircrafts (i.e. a P-38 squad, or BF109 squad, etc), flying structured missions, formation flying, wingman tactics, etc.  And there are any number of squads who fall somewhere in between.

Most squads, even the highly structed ones, only will require you to fly specific types of aircrafts, or participate in structured missions/events, on designated nights, or for specific special events, and you would be free to fly whatever/whereever you wanted at any other times.  

In my opinion, you should ask yourself what you are looking for out of a squad(i.e. types of planes, historically minded or not, what nights you can participate in their squad nights, what special events you'd like to participate in, etc.), and look for a squad that you think you would naturally fit in with.  There are tons of great squads and players to hook up with in this game, and they all offer something a little different from the next.

Hope this helps.  Good luck to you.  In my opinion, being part of a squad adds an extra dimension to the game, and a lot fun too.   :salute

That's spot on I think.  :aok   :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
One day I will have to try this squad thing you all are talking about :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman