Author Topic: Could use some helpful hints  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Could use some helpful hints
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
ENY must play a role then that I'm not seeing, or if it is I wonder how much?

It doesn't.

The fix you're going for though would go against the trend I'm seeing within the explanations of your post, that bigger is better for score, period.  Biggest payload bombers with the biggest bombs - all needing to be utilised intelligently though of cource, but still giving (vastly?) more favor and forgiveness to the big bombers.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

The 'fix' I was talking about was to remove the imbalance between bomb sizes. I want to get the same number of damage score points for the same amount of actual damage inflicted, no matter which size the bomb is. Currently you get much more score points for taking out a single object with a 4k bomb than for taking out the very same object with a 250lbs bomb
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:10:26 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »

It doesn't.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

The 'fix' I was talking about was to remove the imbalance between bomb sizes. I want to get the same number of damage score points for the same amount of actual damage inflicted, no matter which size the bomb is. Currently you get much more score points for taking out a single object with a 4k bomb than for taking out the very same object with a 250lbs bomb

I'm thinking that more will need to be done than that one fix.  If I'm not completely missunderstanding how it works, there is currently a heavy-imbalance with favor twords heavier buffs with bigger bombs. 

If just that one change was implimented, it would go against the current trend with the bomber scoring system/formulas, which as you said is to give you a greater reward for killing one object wit ha 4k bomb than that same object with a single 250lb bomb.

The current system doesn't care if you pull off the same mission a B-17 pilot did but with lesser aircraft (not just sub-"flying fortress", think "flying matchsticks"), a smaller total payload, smaller bombs, more precision/planning/coordination and in a minute less time.

One change will help, maybe a lot, but it won't solve the problem IF you and me aren't the only two people who percieve this as a problem...
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 01:25:25 PM »
Would a formula work if it generated coeficiences off bomber type (ENY), bomber potential (maximum loadout), total damage delivered (the number we see in lights) and a sum of damage needed for the objects you destroyed (or damaged while trying to destroy)?

Something like:

(((E/L) / (D/N)) / O) / 3

E is aircraft ENY
L is that aircraft's loadout potential (IE: 6,000lb in B-17s)
D is damage delivered across the board
N is damage needed to destroy what you hit or destroyed (so if you softened a VH and sunk a fresh CV = ~11,000)
O is Obj
Divide by three for formations.

(10,123/11,000) / (10/6000)
0.9203 / 0.0017 = 541.35

(541.35 / Obj) / 3
(541.35 / 9.0) / 3
60.15 / 3
20.05 score/perks/brownie-points

Math is not my thing, so please proove to me it's not that easy.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
I'm not looking for a fundamental change of the scoring system as you do.

I just want to 'fix' a minor issue, namely that displayed landed damage and actual damage score points are unrelated to each other. When 10K "landed damage" equal X damage score, 20K landed damage should equal 2X damage score. That's all I'm aiming at: Transparency.

Factoring in plane ENY would be a fundamental change to the score system that would have to be implemented across the board for all categories, and would have a different intention ans well as outcome.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
I'm not looking for a fundamental change of the scoring system as you do.

I just want to 'fix' a minor issue, namely that displayed landed damage and actual damage score points are unrelated to each other. When 10K "landed damage" equal X damage score, 20K landed damage should equal 2X damage score. That's all I'm aiming at: Transparency.

Factoring in plane ENY would be a fundamental change to the score system that would have to be implemented across the board for all categories, and would have a different intention ans well as outcome.

That's where my discontent with the current scoring system could be wrong or backwards.  I'm assuming/desireing that it be based on a measure of an individuals skill and proficiency that scales to take into account the aircraft chosen and the bomb loadout selected. 

However, it may not consider such things or value them like I do, but instead depend on a pilot to choose what has already been predefined for the arenas as the best available option (biggest bomber, biggest loadout, biggest bombs) and doing the most damage with it possible.  Why would someone, focusing on score or perk points, not choose the best/biggest option?  What if you do choose a lesser option?  Why even bother wasting resources for modeling a medium or light bomber if you want to continue with a scoring system that deters their use?  If you want to be rewarded in score or perks then you choose the biggest bomber, with the biggest loadout, and the biggest bombs in the loadout.  If that is the logic, then it's a wonder why we didn't get the B-29 sooner since it is currently and will always be the best for the bombing-game to the maximum.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.