Author Topic: Oculus Rift - Will Aces High Support This?  (Read 12728 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus Rift - Will Aces High Support This?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:27 PM »
Just a quick note...

ITS WORKING WITH AH   :O  :O  :O

Using FacetrackNOIR and the Tridef 3D drivers it appears to be good. I need to have a play with the convergence etc to get a good feel for how well it will do.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
That is good news. Tell us what it looks like :)

Did I read that there will be a version 2 of the developer unit? If so, wonder if it will have a higher resolution? I would really like to try but uncertain about a 640 x 480 res.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
That is good news. Tell us what it looks like :)

Did I read that there will be a version 2 of the developer unit? If so, wonder if it will have a higher resolution? I would really like to try but uncertain about a 640 x 480 res.

It 640x800 res per eye (so technically still 1280x800 total depending on how you view things).

Lack of res is a bit accentuated at the moment as the Tridef OSD does not work in AH and I'm finding it hard to make adjustments - so the view in each eye is not using the full screen. That said the tracking is smooth as, the 3D is great, and the screen brightness/contrast is awesome so it's heaps of fun.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Can you estimate what the view would be comparable to. Like what size display. Is it like looking at a very large display? 

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
Can you estimate what the view would be comparable to. Like what size display. Is it like looking at a very large display? 

FoV is 90 degrees. So  bring your hands together in front of you at 90 degrees and the wrists touching. ie a V. Bring that under your chin, look straight ahead, the fingertips approximate the width of the Rift FoV.

The second version will be the full release consumer version, with 1080p resolution. Reports so far say it's much better than the dev version (what I have).

If you're not a complete VR fanatic wait for the consumer version. You won't like the resolution on the dev model.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2013, 01:31:17 AM »
 :)

Another Gadget to enrich my AH experience :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2013, 01:32:32 AM »
Another update, I've got the views maximized now, and quality sorted (it was a matter of tuning the tridef driver).

A few challenges:
 - icons: they're rendered in an odd focal plane, sometimes you get double images from them
 - the radio box, needs to be centered but can be hard to read (HTC, a 3D radio box like the clipboard would be nice)
 - the radio transmitter text is hard to read (being top right)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
I've read the pricing on the retail version is going to be a lot lower than I anticipated, I've seen sub 500$ in a couple places.  I'm getting one for certain if that is indeed the case.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
I've read the pricing on the retail version is going to be a lot lower than I anticipated, I've seen sub 500$ in a couple places.  I'm getting one for certain if that is indeed the case.

The price point they are shooting for is the same as the developer's kit, $300 if they can keep production costs down. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
Vulcan have you tried the sony hmz-t2? Just read about it and wondered how it would do with AH. Did you solve the problems mentioned in your last post?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
Vulcan have you tried the sony hmz-t2? Just read about it and wondered how it would do with AH. Did you solve the problems mentioned in your last post?

No, but the HMZ is not a lot different to my emagin Z800 (45 degree FoV) but with better OLED's. It also has no tracker. So it's a tradeoff between res and fov. I'm also not sure how the HMZ is going to handle 3D, the level of resolution output required might be a challenge.

Yes I solved the icons issue (some sort of tridef autofocus thing).

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
Last week I got to try one of these at a game development conference where some people from Occulus were giving short demos. This is the most exciting thing in gaming since the 3D video card.

The latest versions are 1080p, and although they only support 3 degrees of freedom, they claim that the consumer version next year will have 6. They are also testing with a new LCD that has very low latency so they should be minimal motion blur. The head tracking seemed really precise with no noticeable lag at all. I can't wait to see this integrated into Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »
Sony is rumored to be developing their own VR headset, though no one is sure if it's only going to be for the PS4/TV or will also include PC support and is expected to cost a lot more than the OR headset.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »
Great....what he h3ll will I do with my three 27" monitors and TrackIR when this thing comes out!?!?!?  :headscratch:

Already working on my funding approval submission for the family CFO*   :aok

* My wife.  Take my advice....never, ever marry a CPA if you like to buy really expensive toys.  :uhoh

Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
AH has a lot of button and or key inputs.  Do these things have a way to see things like the Cougar MDF and the keyboard?