Author Topic: Your $15 per month  (Read 3164 times)

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
Re: Your $15 per month
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
Yep. All those custom textures and objects on a main arena sized map would probably be a gig or more in size and take forever to download...and then the complaints about that and peoples' bad frame rates would flood the BBS.

Except for the fact that you can turn eye candy off to get a higher frame rate. I would much rather see new maps instead of air craft. I have a few friends that wont play AH just becaouse they said there isn't enough eye candy to be worth the 15 a month.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »
I don't think half the machines in the game could run those maps, but man o man those look killer.

BINGO !!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Make two different arenas, one for people with low-spec computers and one arena with mid-range to hi-spec computers. Afterall its 2013, amazing things have happened within the field of graphics card development, and prices of new cards have dropped aswell.

Yup thats' what we want to see, half the players in one arena and half in another, whats that like 50 players per side  :huh

Well, we have all these fancy new graphics options in the game but no one is forced to use them.

Players with old computers just have everything turned down to low detail, and the beautiful new terrain would look to them just as bland and terrible as the current terrain does on low detail.

I don't think 2 different arenas would be necessary - except if HTC were to come back and say, amazing terrain like this on a large map the size of say, OzKanzas, would be too much

Then I would say personally I would rather have two or three smaller arenas with great looking maps, rather than one big map that looks terrible...but that would be just my opinion and a lot of people more interested in the 'win the war' side of the game would probably disagree

So we set it up so that those with out the super computer can turn down the graphics so they can play. Great idea! Except that most of the players coming into the game today play on laptops Mommy and Daddy bought them and they can't handle the 3D graphics and so turn them down...... and complain that the graphics look like crap and are not worth $15

For HTC:  is there a reason we cant have one of maps used for scenarios as a template, then have an editor place fields around the map in a measured manner so that it can be used in the MA???

Seriously, as you well know there are some very nice maps used in scenarios. If all we had to do was reset where the fields are, add in a HQ and a industrial complex, then why cant that be done?

This is something I have always wondered about and I'm sure others are curious as well.

It's not that easy. There are a lot of differences between a scenario map and a MA map Not just the few things you mentioned. The changes would be like building a new map. Might as well build a new one.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

So we set it up so that those with out the super computer can turn down the graphics so they can play. Great idea!

Ummm...they already have to turn down the graphics.

We have all kinds of new fancy graphics settings in AH which those of us with decent computers can take advantage of, and those players with obsolete computers can't use. It would be exactly the same if we get new and improved terrain/maps.

Oh, and also you don't need a 'supercomputer' for these kind of visuals. Even the great stuff shown in Nr_RaVeN's screenshots is a good few years behind the curve.

Except that most of the players coming into the game today play on laptops Mommy and Daddy bought them and they can't handle the 3D graphics and so turn them down...... and complain that the graphics look like crap and are not worth $15

This is half anecdotal 'evidence', and half plain BS. Not even worth debunking. You should stick to what you know. Oh wait...all you know is posting these kinds of whines about young players and 'the Xbox generation' :headscratch:

It's not that easy. There are a lot of differences between a scenario map and a MA map Not just the few things you mentioned. The changes would be like building a new map. Might as well build a new one.

The idea of this thread is to ask people "Would you like your $15 a month to be spent towards getting something like this in the MAs". So, building a new one (or several new ones) might indeed be the solution.

If you and other people would rather just get new planes, and leave the scenery we fly them in looking awful, then just say so...but leave out the ridiculous, incorrect and irrelevant objections :old:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:03:26 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
What is it about a map like that would cause a frame rate hit?  Does it use higher resolution textures or something?
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »
I know I don't have the computer to run anything like this, but I still vote YES!
If this becomes the AH reality anytime soon I will sure make a bigger puter one of my top priorities, this would really add tons to the realism part of the game.
We got the flying characteristics, we got the sounds thanks to the great sound-gurus we have, and if we get this too this game will be alot more than just Aces High in my book, it will be Aces Heaven!  :aok

HTC, get to work!  :rock
TheStig

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
What is it about a map like that would cause a frame rate hit?  Does it use higher resolution textures or something?

More textures, custom textures, more objects, custom objects, etc., etc.  That all adds up to a larger file to download, and also adds to what your computer needs to load into memory while you are playing in the arena.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
First off, don't take this thread the wrong way - we have been getting some great updates to AH and I am very pleased with the recent crop of graphical upgrades and the recent updates to (British :) ) planes

However I would like you to take a look at the screenshots below of Nr_RaVeN's excellent work with the terrain editor

Would you like some of your $15 / month to go towards getting some amazing terrain like this in the Main Arena's?

I don't care who makes it. But this shows what is possible with the terrain editor and I am convinced it would be great, not just for us, but to get new players into the game by tempting them with eye candy, to have some better looking maps in the MA.

Very Very Nice  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)

Tunisia

Lybia

***The Perk Tank Snuff***
HHC 1-502nd "Strike" Infantry 101st Airborne Division Air Assault!
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
 :O

Get them MA approved!!!!
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
The current maps look so bad I don't even bother to put ground details on

I'd play 5$ more a month to play this in the MA, and I'd upgrade the computer as well.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 01:56:20 AM »
You want to test your comp The Karelia map used in the AVA will certainly give you an Idea
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »
I'd happily pay $20-25/month to be a part of the some "Supporters Club" (We could be the AH Jockstraps)...

As long as it didn't become some cockadoodledoo I get more say b/s society... just a voluntary every little bit counts and I have some extra scratch that I would happily part with to help the game club, I am in.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
I'd happily pay $20-25/month to be a part of the some "Supporters Club" (We could be the AH Jockstraps)...

As long as it didn't become some cockadoodledoo I get more say b/s society... just a voluntary every little bit counts and I have some extra scratch that I would happily part with to help the game club, I am in.

We could think of it almost like a Church Building Fund... except for maps.

- We have the standard $15 a month charge for normal upkeep of the grounds and salaries.
 - Maybe a voluntary $5 - $10 month building fund where the "House of Dale" hires contractors to build a new gym or new playgrounds for the kids.
   - We could pledge a commitment dollar amount over a certain number of months so HTC knows how much they can depend on when hiring a resource.

Embrace that warm fuzzy feeling you get, knowing that YOU made a difference!

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
Shouldn't we have an arena with AH1 and the Beta map just for playability for those of us who struggle to scrape together that $15 to be able to play this game with a P4@2.4 GHz and a Radeon 9800? Wouldn't that be fair?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
 :O

At first, I thought it was a different game altogether, but then I took a closer look... :O

That is awesome! :x
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
what makes me laugh is soon as people get a new machine they go and find the most graphic intensive game they can find to test their new shiny hardware on. 

disclaimer this is not directed at anyone in particular just an observation over the years.   :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H