Author Topic: Your $15 per month  (Read 3191 times)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Your $15 per month
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
First off, don't take this thread the wrong way - we have been getting some great updates to AH and I am very pleased with the recent crop of graphical upgrades and the recent updates to (British :) ) planes

However I would like you to take a look at the screenshots below of Nr_RaVeN's excellent work with the terrain editor

Would you like some of your $15 / month to go towards getting some amazing terrain like this in the Main Arena's?

I don't care who makes it. But this shows what is possible with the terrain editor and I am convinced it would be great, not just for us, but to get new players into the game by tempting them with eye candy, to have some better looking maps in the MA.

Tunisia

Lybia

Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: Your $15 per month
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
Unbelievable!! We NEED this and more like this for the Main Arena  :aok :aok :aok
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:04:58 PM »
Very nicely done.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Now that is nice!
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
maybeeeeeeeeeee....ht should hire someone full time?
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
<hits like button>
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »
Honest question: Why doesn't HTC hire more workers? Afraid of money or what?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
+1

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
hard to believe it's the same game  :huh
now posting as SirNuke

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
I don't think half the machines in the game could run those maps, but man o man those look killer.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
I don't think half the machines in the game could run those maps, but man o man those look killer.

Make two different arenas, one for people with low-spec computers and one arena with mid-range to hi-spec computers. Afterall its 2013, amazing things have happened within the field of graphics card development, and prices of new cards have dropped aswell.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »

Yep. All those custom textures and objects on a main arena sized map would probably be a gig or more in size and take forever to download...and then the complaints about that and peoples' bad frame rates would flood the BBS.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
I don't think half the machines in the game could run those maps

Well, we have all these fancy new graphics options in the game but no one is forced to use them.

Players with old computers just have everything turned down to low detail, and the beautiful new terrain would look to them just as bland and terrible as the current terrain does on low detail.

Make two different arenas, one for people with low-spec computers and one arena with mid-range to hi-spec computers. Afterall its 2013, amazing things have happened within the field of graphics card development, and prices of new cards have dropped aswell.

I don't think 2 different arenas would be necessary - except if HTC were to come back and say, amazing terrain like this on a large map the size of say, OzKanzas, would be too much

Then I would say personally I would rather have two or three smaller arenas with great looking maps, rather than one big map that looks terrible...but that would be just my opinion and a lot of people more interested in the 'win the war' side of the game would probably disagree
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
The size of the map doesn't matter.  The PC is only rendering what can be seen.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »
For HTC:  is there a reason we cant have one of maps used for scenarios as a template, then have an editor place fields around the map in a measured manner so that it can be used in the MA???

Seriously, as you well know there are some very nice maps used in scenarios. If all we had to do was reset where the fields are, add in a HQ and a industrial complex, then why cant that be done?

This is something I have always wondered about and I'm sure others are curious as well.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.