Author Topic: Russia hit by meteor  (Read 2341 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: Russia hit by meteor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 08:26:17 AM »
I wonder if it was a piece of the one thats passing by today.  :headscratch:
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:56 AM »
It's amazing to watch that dash cam video that shows it first appearing then moving across the sky.  I always wondered what it would look like at the point of entry....it just appears from nothing and gets larger.

I wonder how large this thing was.  Can't wait to hear more about it.

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »
Yep, we are done for. This is exactly how many of the end-of-times movies begin.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
Id be more worried about some trigger happy russian pushing a few launch buttons  at the time of the flash/blast simply because of this reason

"The area around Chelyabinsk is also home to “dozens of defense factories, including nuclear factories and those involved in production of thermonuclear weapons,” said Vladimir Lipunov, an astrophysicist at the Shternberg State Astronomy Institute."

We got lucky one of their old defense computers didnt detect this as an attack and decide to launch a retaliatory strike on its own
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:03:57 AM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
I read somewhere I think that today's meteor, the one that is the size of a swimming pool, is only missing an impact with earth by 14 minutes of earth orbit around the sun.  :noid

I gather it will be invisible to the naked eye, but that it is passing within the orbit of our higher satellites.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:48 AM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
I wonder if it was a piece of the one thats passing by today.  :headscratch:

Scratch that, found my answer....cut from a USA Today artical

"The Earth travels about a million miles in a day and these are two events separated by almost 24 hours, so it is unlikely they are connected," says asteroid expert Richard Binzel of MIT. Meteors the size of the Russian one hit Earth every few years, Binzel says, but land near inhabited places much less often. "We just have the incredible coincidence of this happening just before the asteroid flies by," Binzel says.

Further, the Russian meteor landed in the Northern hemisphere while Asteroid 2012 DA14 is approaching from the direction of the South Pole, arguing against a connection.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
Alot of "random" events latly imo, the lightning striking the Vatican the day the Pope resigned comes to mind.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
Alot of "random" events latly imo, the lightning striking the Vatican the day the Pope resigned comes to mind.

The vatican dome gets lightning strikes probably on every thunderstorm. It just made a nice headline this time.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
spaceweather is back on line again. NOW prepare your self's for the DA14. In a few hours

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »
I saw the videos and thought it was Chalenge or EAce rtbing for more fuel  :old:
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »

Random events segregate non-randomly
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
When I saw the videos. I was jealous. How come the damm Russians get all the interesting stuff? Now I'm furiously touching wood because the last time I said something like that. I paid for it. Made some crack that we never get a serious thunderstorm here in Ireland. As I lay under my bed begging God to make it stop later that night. I somewhat regretted my rashness.

So leave it to the Russians and their dash cams.

Look to the skies!

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
This is just the beginning...

AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com