Author Topic: Triple Monitor Setup - but now this...  (Read 3136 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Triple Monitor Setup - but now this...
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
He seems to just ignore any comment he disagrees with Skuzzy. Not worth it to correct him anymore. I know *I* stopped replying to him.

I ignore the comments when they're clearly misinformed. None of you have given not even one technical reason why Windows 8 would 'suck' as a gaming platform, Skuzzy included. All the benchmarks point the exact opposite so I'm now waiting for someone to come up with at least SOME proof that their point is right.

Skuzzys reason to detest windows 8 are purely political. He doesn't agree to the direction their development is going to and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't agree with it either - but I'm not going to get all Don Quijote over it. There are alternative OSes if and when MS drops the ball completely. Heck there are even the consoles to turn to if Win blows completely. Naturally Hitech Creations cannot think in this way and things would get pretty complicated for them if Windows would cease to work as a gaming platform.

In the mean time I'm enjoying the smooth operation of the Win8 and find it pretty refreshing actually. The live tiles in the start screen are a nice addition and if I would use Windows as my primary platform I'm sure I would customize it beyond the news, weather etc. it displays as a default. It's actually pretty funny that Win8 tiles have much of the same things I've customized my linux desktop to show :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:37:05 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
My reasons for not wanting to use Windows 8 have nothing to do with politics.  My reasons are virtually all technically based.  Other reasons have to do with personal choices.

Personally, my Windows 7 system blows Windows 8 out of the water in all areas, even in gaming.  It even matches the boot speed of Windows 8.  The memory foot print is also smaller on my system than with Windows 8.

I can also launch my applications faster in Windows 7 (one keystroke, + one mouse click) than in Windows 8.

Even with a touch screen desktop, it is still slower to launch in Windows 8.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:48:06 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
My reasons for not wanting to use Windows 8 have nothing to do with politics.  My reasons are virtually all technically based.  Other reasons have to do with personal choices.

Personally, my Windows 7 system blows Windows 8 out of the water in all areas, even in gaming.  It even matches the boot speed of Windows 8.  The memory foot print is also smaller on my system than with Windows 8.

I can also launch my applications faster in Windows 7 (one keystroke, + one mouse click) than in Windows 8.

Even with a touch screen desktop, it is still slower to launch in Windows 8.

I'm sure you could give out some technical examples as to why Windows 8 couldn't easily match and better your boot speeds after the amount of tweaking you've had in the 7. The fact that Windows 8 boots as fast as your super tweaked 7 out of the box is a huge statement in itself!

It's not enough to give vague throws, give some exact examples. By the way you can launch your apps with 1 mouse click in windows 8 just as easily.

Tomshardware benchmarked the very early Win8 version (with immature drivers) against the 7 and found it to match the performance with only 1 game title causing problems (81fps vs 86fps) on 1 graphics card. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:56:02 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
I'm sure you could give out some technical examples as to why Windows 8 couldn't easily match and better your boot speeds after the amount of tweaking you've had in the 7. The fact that Windows 8 boots as fast as your super tweaked 7 out of the box is a huge statement in itself!

Yes, it is a statement to how poor of a job Microsoft actually does with their operating systems.

It's not enough to give vague throws, give some exact examples. By the way you can launch your apps with 1 mouse click in windows 8 just as easily.

Examples of what? 

Every application I have installed and every utility that installs with the operating system, can be started with a single mouse click, or by a single keystroke followed by a mouse click. 

Tomshardware benchmarked the very early Win8 version (with immature drivers) against the 7 and found it to match the performance with only 1 game title causing problems (81fps vs 86fps) on 1 graphics card. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331.html

Immature drivers?  Why would that happen?  The Windows 7 video card drivers work with Windows 8.  The only real difference is Windows 8 drivers are signed for Windows 8.  Even Microsoft states the drivers are the same. 
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Yes, it is a statement to how poor of a job Microsoft actually does with their operating systems.

I don't follow your logic. So you're saying now that Windows 7 sucks because you had to tweak it in order to make it boot as fast as Windows8 does - and by this logic Windows8 now sucks?  :joystick:

Examples of what?  

Examples of technical reasons as to why Windows 8 would do a worse job than Windows 7 as a gaming box. It benchmarks the same or better - so why in your opinnion it wouldn't work just as well with games?

Every application I have installed and every utility that installs with the operating system, can be started with a single mouse click, or by a single keystroke followed by a mouse click.  

And this hasn't disappeared anywhere with Windows 8.

Immature drivers?  Why would that happen?  The Windows 7 video card drivers work with Windows 8.  The only real difference is Windows 8 drivers are signed for Windows 8.  Even Microsoft states the drivers are the same.  

There is a difference with 'working' and 'built for'. For some reason graphics driver versions differ between Windows 7 and 8. Why would there be a 'beta' driver for Windows 8 if the only difference was the signing? And if the two operating systems really are so similar at core level, return to the original question: Why do you say Windows8 wouldn't work as a gaming machine?

Are you saying that there is no technical obstacle but only the principle against the EULA change and the new UI? Because that's how it's starting to look like.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:48:16 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
Skuzz i love my Windows 8 gaming machine but i was already totally hooked a year ago on my WindowsPhone.
Windows 8 is made for three devices in mind like no other OS does.
Although it is clear to me u have way more knowlegde than me and sure u boosted up your W7 platform but is that realistic for common users?
Why wouldnt you do the same tricks in W8 ?

All Operating systems do update and i completely understand the vision with MS doing this The Metro style is absolute the most beautiful UI.
I will not say blindly perfect but within a year or 2 common buissness.

And W7 forgotten.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
So in the next patch i expect a live tile who updates my statistics and shows that my squaddies are in the Arena.
Lets get into 2013 ;)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
I don't follow your logic. So you're saying now that Windows 7 sucks because you had to tweak it in order to make it boot as fast as Windows8 does - and by this logic Windows8 now sucks?  :joystick:

If Microsoft had done a decent job configuring Windows 7, it would boot as fast as Windows 8 does.  The fact that it can be done says Microsoft did a poor job.

Examples of technical reasons as to why Windows 8 would do a worse job than Windows 7 as a gaming box. It benchmarks the same or better - so why in your opinnion it wouldn't work just as well with games?

I do not believe I have ever said Windows 8 could not run games as well as Windows 7.

And this hasn't disappeared anywhere with Windows 8.

You cannot understand this particular aspect without me giving away design details.  As I have been saying all along, the UI for Windows 8 is a poor implementation compared to what could have been done, for the desktop and mobile.

There is a difference with 'working' and 'built for'. For some reason graphics driver versions differ between Windows 7 and 8. Why would there be a 'beta' driver for Windows 8 if the only difference was the signing? And if the two operating systems really are so similar at core level, return to the original question: Why do you say Windows8 wouldn't work as a gaming machine?

I never have said Windows 8 would not work for games.  Never.  Microsoft has stated the video drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the same drivers.  The only difference is the Windows 8 drivers have been verified under Windows 8.

Are you saying that there is no technical obstacle but only the principle against the EULA change and the new UI? Because that's how it's starting to look like.

No, I am not saying that at all.  There are problems with Windows 8, but there are problems with all Microsoft operating systems.  If you want to ignore all the bug reports Microsoft has, then you are free to do so.  Asking anyone to post those bugs is really silly.  Even Paul Otellini publicly stated Windows 8 was not ready to be released when it was.

Skuzz i love my Windows 8 gaming machine but i was already totally hooked a year ago on my WindowsPhone.
Windows 8 is made for three devices in mind like no other OS does.

There is a better way for the user interface to be implemented if the goal is to have one common interface across desktop and mobile platforms.

Although it is clear to me u have way more knowlegde than me and sure u boosted up your W7 platform but is that realistic for common users?

I agree, it is not realistic for the common user.

Why wouldnt you do the same tricks in W8 ?

I only did what Microsoft did for Windows 8.  Although I ended up with a smaller memory footprint than they did when I was done.

All Operating systems do update and i completely understand the vision with MS doing this The Metro style is absolute the most beautiful UI.

It is a bad design in light of how much better it could have been.  And that is my problem.  I know it could be worlds better than it is, which drives my personal disdain for Windows 8, technical issues aside.

I will not say blindly perfect but within a year or 2 common buissness.

And W7 forgotten.

People accept the mundane all too easily.  It does not make it better, or right.

I am actually not a fan of Windows 7.  There are things about it that drive me nuts.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:30:50 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »

You cannot understand this particular aspect without me giving away design details.  As I have been saying all along, the UI for Windows 8 is a poor implementation compared to what could have been done, for the desktop and mobile.

Possibly. I get the feeling that you're using an indexing app which gives you a one key shortcut/browse option to all the indexed applications ;) Windows 8 contains this as a built in option. If I want to open 'Firefox' for example, I can just press the key F on the start screen and the search will list me all the matching apps (Mozilla Firefox, File Explorer, Windows Firewall, Finance, Windows Fax), sorted by usage popularity. Optionally 193 settings and 71 files were offered, grouped to their own groups.

But I can open any application I wish as it is by pressing the win key and clicking on the appropriate icon on the start screen. Or just by clicking the icon depending if I'm on the classic desktop or start screen.

I find Windows 8 very simple to use once you get to know the few differences between the new UI and the old. Much easyer to use than, say, Ubuntu Unity for example :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:56:01 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Possibly. I get the feeling that you're using an indexing app which gives you a one key shortcut/browse option to all the indexed applications ;) Windows 8 contains this as a built in option. If I want to open 'Firefox' for example, I can just press the key F on the start screen and the search will list me all the matching apps (Mozilla Firefox, File Explorer, Windows Firewall, Finance, Windows Fax), sorted by usage popularity. Optionally 193 settings and 71 files were offered, grouped to their own groups.

But I can open any application I wish as it is by pressing the win key and clicking on the appropriate icon on the start screen. Or just by clicking the icon depending if I'm on the classic desktop or start screen. Search is also very effective, all thats needed is pressing win key (if not already in modern start menu) and start to type. A list of settings, apps etc. is instantly displayed for selection.

I find Windows 8 very simple to use once you get to know the few differences between the new UI and the old. Much easyer to use than, say, Ubuntu Unity for example :)

I have been working on my own UI.  From a blank desktop, press one key, then click the mouse button.  No need to scroll, type anything else, or drag anything.  Will work on mobile as well and that is all I am going to say about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
I dont think they are Nuts at Microsoft either. Fan or not i'm rational all other OS dont play Flightsims like windows does IMHO.
W8 is just the latest version.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
I have been working on my own UI.  From a blank desktop, press one key, then click the mouse button.  No need to scroll, type anything else, or drag anything.  Will work on mobile as well and that is all I am going to say about it.

I'm not even asking to. But logically each key should at some point bring up several alternative programs. Which Win8 currently does unless only 1 match is found. In fact by typing the first letter of the app you wanted, the most commonly used app starting with that letter is listed and set as active so all that's needed is to type the first letter and press enter to start the app - not even mouse required. Very simple I should say.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
This is indeed very handy no searching long lists just type the first few letters on the start screen With this i could easily find paint for example to copy my screenshots directly (from the films)to it. Normally i would go to start and manouvre my mouse to the right folder. Because i normally never use that program.
 I also find out after upgrading my wife's desktop streaming was a piece of cake.
I also find out streaming movies to my Xbox was easy also.

My photographs made by my windows Phone shows up on my skydrive tile on my PC.
Integration with office 2013 and sharing documents with the option to edit on any device is excellent.
Directx 11 etc etc.

There is a lot of potentional.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
I'm not even asking to. But logically each key should at some point bring up several alternative programs. Which Win8 currently does unless only 1 match is found. In fact by typing the first letter of the app you wanted, the most commonly used app starting with that letter is listed and set as active so all that's needed is to type the first letter and press enter to start the app - not even mouse required. Very simple I should say.

Actually Windows 7 search does the same thing.  It auto-fills and auto-lists all the files as you type.  Admittedly, I am not a big fan of it and have used it little.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:56:45 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »
Wow! Holy fanboy on a soapbox Batman, can a thread be hijacked any more completely or what? Surprised Skuzzy let himself get trolled so hard.

Did the OP ever get his problem fixed? If so, what did you end up doing if you don't mind?
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.