Author Topic: Avoid Microsoft Office 2013  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
Avoid Microsoft Office 2013
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
It seems Office 2013 is tied to the hardware it's activated on without an option to move/reinstall it on another machine (old computer failed or new computer bought).
You can't sell it either after uninstalling it from your computer.

Just as a warning/hint to read through the web/publications prior to buying O2k13.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Avoid Microsoft Office 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »
It seems Office 2013 is tied to the hardware it's activated on without an option to move/reinstall it on another machine (old computer failed or new computer bought).
You can't sell it either after uninstalling it from your computer.

Just as a warning/hint to read through the web/publications prior to buying O2k13.

Why would anyone buy office when there are free alternatives such as OpenOffice and Libreoffice?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:28:06 AM »
Why would anyone buy office when there are free alternatives such as OpenOffice and Libreoffice?
Because people have personal preferences. I use MS money and have for years, my brother uses another software brand. I used ghost for years as he did also. Then he went to acronis, I eventually switched to Paragon. Just in the same way you like Apple  another person may not like it. I am not saying 1 is better then the other, just personal preference. I use MS office. I am happy with it. I am used to the software and have been using it for a long time and don't plan on switching just because open office is free.
Maybe this is hard for you to understand, but try.

You can reply Ripley, I won't bother replying and get into some forum tug of war with you.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:44 AM »
Because people have personal preferences. I use MS money and have for years, my brother uses another software brand. I used ghost for years as he did also. Then he went to acronis, I eventually switched to Paragon. Just in the same way you like Apple  another person may not like it. I am not saying 1 is better then the other, just personal preference. I use MS office. I am happy with it. I am used to the software and have been using it for a long time and don't plan on switching just because open office is free.
Maybe this is hard for you to understand, but try.

You can reply Ripley, I won't bother replying and get into some forum tug of war with you.

Microsoft Money is a discontinued product in any case so it's time to start looking for alternatives or just stick to the old versions.

If you're happy paying for something you could get for free it's indeed your personal preference. But then again the OP shouldn't get too concerned about the hardware lockdown of Office when people can simply stop using it. Apple offers a full office suite for 30 bucks and it's not hardware locked ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:38:32 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »
Microsoft office is awesome :old:

The freeware is not :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »
Microsoft office is awesome :old:

The freeware is not :old:

Looks like you never tried the freeware lol. Once again.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
Looks like you never tried the freeware lol. Once again.
i have and if you don't mind something that is 1 or 2, sometimes 3 generations behind, it's great. you have to do some advanced tweaking to make it really compatible with ms office products and you can/will get problems if trying to edit some types of documents and spreadsheets created in office 2010 and 2013.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
I must have misread that article regarding LibreOffice being a new/improved version and name change of OpenOffice.........

is LibreOffice a completely different product? ........  if it is, I need to go re read and review it..... if it is different, is it better than openoffice?  thoughts/opinions?

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
I must have misread that article regarding LibreOffice being a new/improved version and name change of OpenOffice.........

is LibreOffice a completely different product? ........  if it is, I need to go re read and review it..... if it is different, is it better than openoffice?  thoughts/opinions?

TC
libreoffice was started from openoffice code (i.e. forked). it could be called "new/improved version" but it's not really. like the difference between ubuntu linux and mint linux, same core but the rest of the code is different.

personally, i don't think one is so much better than the other.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »
I've know of reasons so far by experience: Compatibility and training. I've had customers who'd like to use Open/Libre Office, but can't because some feature they're familiar with in MS Office doesn't apply for OoO/LO. Before someone claims the opposite, they weren't SuperUsers. And although the freebies look familiar enough for typing a business letter, there are tons of functions which could be handy if people knew about them. "Intuitive" is not a word I'd use with spreadsheet formulas and functions...  
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
i have and if you don't mind something that is 1 or 2, sometimes 3 generations behind, it's great. you have to do some advanced tweaking to make it really compatible with ms office products and you can/will get problems if trying to edit some types of documents and spreadsheets created in office 2010 and 2013.

Heh, problems will arise when people still stick to the retarded Office cycle and keep paying for nothing. Microsoft is deliberately creating new incompatible formats (not just open, but old versions of Office too) to force people into buying new versions. That's why Office should be dumped and move to open formats. The reality is that people can do 99% of office work using openoffice and the 1% can usually be solved by asking the sender to save the file in an older compatible format.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:07 PM »
I've know of reasons so far by experience: Compatibility and training. I've had customers who'd like to use Open/Libre Office, but can't because some feature they're familiar with in MS Office doesn't apply for OoO/LO. Before someone claims the opposite, they weren't SuperUsers. And although the freebies look familiar enough for typing a business letter, there are tons of functions which could be handy if people knew about them. "Intuitive" is not a word I'd use with spreadsheet formulas and functions...  

Many people actually prefer OOO because it doesn't use the dumb ribbon interface. Outside of advanced macros OOO/Libre can do most things a regular office will do. Copypaste may have a different key combo (ctrl+v instead of enter after selecting area) etc. but thats about it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:10:23 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:48 PM »
I have 2013 preview (it still works) but there is also an option for office 365 wich u can install on 5 machines but is a yearly conscript. Nothing beats the Original i would say 2013 is pretty awesome.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
Office 2010 PKC is also tied to 1 hardware so there is nothing new.

Ripley, Office is much more than just MS word...  :aok

Office retail and PKC  pricing is going up because MS is pushing customers to 365.
I am a spy!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »
Office 2010 PKC is also tied to 1 hardware so there is nothing new.

Ripley, Office is much more than just MS word...  :aok

Office retail and PKC  pricing is going up because MS is pushing customers to 365.

Well, they just pushed my family away forever.  $99.99 U.S. a year subscription?  Right.  What moron would do that?  They can keep Office 365.

As the big guys move towards a "rental" pricing policy on all their products, it will spur the growth of other alternatives.  That is a good thing.  They do not realize it yet, but they are driving a stake into their own businesses.  I hope they do not wake up and realize it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:47:29 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com