Author Topic: damping setting to fly f4u  (Read 1725 times)

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
damping setting to fly f4u
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
The f4u-x gives to me a key problem: it bounces a lot  when rolling, using rudder and aiming.
It's the one plane only in which I experience this problem.
How much dumping do you use to avoid it?
Or do you use other solutions?

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: damping setting to fly f4u
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
Taking CT off and trimming the nose down to suit seems has helped me a good bit in just about every plane I fly.  It's not a magic bullet, but I haven't run across a plane yet that it doesn't help with stability. 

I wouldn't mess with dampening just to fly one plane.  I'd forget to change it back.   :D

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Im at work right now, or I'd pull it up and share mine with you (eitehr a screenshot of the sliders or a copypasta of the numbers from my config file).  I'm estimating I use about 10%.

What may be of help lulu is if you shared/showed us what your current settings are (also the joystick type, maybe another user can chime in).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
I have a ch joystick (fighterstick).
It has about 15 degree of dead band on roll and pitch axes.
All slider are at maximum.
Dead band is huge to avoid the problem of dead band.
I increased damping to try if better in f4u.
It seems to work but i'm not sure if this is the solution.

mobilis in mobile

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Huge deadband is a likely problem. Damping is not a solution.  Nose bounce is aircraft movement. Damping only affects stick movement not aircraft movement.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:43:18 AM »
Why the problem that i have is so important with f4u-x only !?

mobilis in mobile

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »

Most F4Us have flaps lowered two notches on takeoff, do you raise them?

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
yes.
mobilis in mobile

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
Taking CT off and trimming the nose down to suit, seems has helped me a good bit in just about every plane I fly.

Hey lulu,
what Triton28 posted is normally what I suggest to others to get rid of nose bounce.......

I personally, prefer to get the F4U series planes up to a level flight speed of between 325 IAS to 335 IAS ( white needle ) and leave it manually trimmed for this speed in level flight....

this can be achieved though in a very easy fashion, to do so, just hit Combat Trim ( Ctrl X ) to switch it on and then when you decide to engage in a fight, nose down with CT on, and once you reach the above speed ( 325/335 IAS ) hit Ctrl X ( Combat Trim ) to turn it off...... just be sure to not be giving any stick input be in a straight wings level shallow dive to obtain the speed and turn CT off..... if you are giving stick input it will throw your trim settings off kilter...

now, once you are trimmed to this speed setting, you can engage, get slower, lower any number of notches of flaps and you will not experience nose bounce ....... if you do then you are having trouble with your Controllers ( joystick / HOTAS ) themselves......
Trimmed in the way I described will allow you to use a gentle pull / constant pull to bring your boresite / piper  on target and hold it steady to fire when under a G load........ if you have to... it is prefered to be unloaded of Gs when you fire at your opponent, but it isn't always that easy in an angles fight, like it is while BnZing......

also, you can set your trim and then use the trim set dot command, to quickly obtain this setting when you are about to engage..

I myself, fly all the Fighter / Attack planes in the game with the trim set in this fashion...... I just differ the speed used, depending on the planes level flight top speed..... most of the time when we are engaged in a dog fight, we will always be under the top speed  / level flight  of the aircraft we are in......

Hope This Helps and Good Luck

TC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:09:43 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »

I don't know enough about what you're doing to answer that but as Triton and TC said, trim your nose down, you'll likely see improvement. You'll also lessen the transition problem of large deadband by keeping back pressure on the stick.

Be sure combat trim is off. Combat trim will not let you keep the nose trimmed down.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:36:39 PM by FLS »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
AckAck has a zip file you can download that has an image of his scaling setting.  These are the ones I use.  I think it can be found under the Help wth training at the very bottom under Files.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
When in a fight with the flaps out I turn off CT and manually trim the elevator down. Actually, I leave the slider pushed forward about 90% so when CT goes off the elevator is automatically trimmed down. Seems to help a lot with nose bounce.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
also, you can set your trim and then use the trim set dot command, to quickly obtain this setting when you are about to engage..

I have seen one list of keyboard commands that had an item "trim set.   Key-dot" but I do not see it in the commands section now? Would you please explain what it does (if it exists). Also is it a keyboard command or a radio dot command.

Thank you for the help.

Terry

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
Trim Set is a command that trims your control surfaces to match the current stick and pedal position. Hold the controls in the desired position, press ".", then release the controls. Experiment offline or in the training arena. It will not work if trim is mapped to analog controls. For wings level trim you can just use the auto pilot modes but to set trim to a bank angle you need Trim Set.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
Thanks. Will try today.