Author Topic: 5th Suicide Within 14 Months.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
5th Suicide Within 14 Months.
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
Well at about 4:15 PM today someone killed themselves in my area.

What's so special about this? Oh, nothing really, other than the fact that this is the 5th suicide within a 14 month period.

What is up with people just deciding to kill themselves recently? Is this a big issue in other parts of the country, or is the area I live in a special case? I don't think there's a suicide rate as high as the area I live in throughout the neighboring states.

Oh and to top it off, every single suicide that's happened here has been someone under the age of 18.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: 5th Suicide Within 14 Months.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
     Alot of times young people lack the sense of perspective to prevent suicide, things often appear to be much worse than they are.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:29:52 PM »
Of course I have no idea about this specific case. But in general, any cumulation of suicides in a given area can in turn trigger other sucides, in some cases even showning some 'epidemic' like qualities. This is especially true in young people, which are quick at following the 'example' of their peers.
That's  one reason why the media here is very reluctant in publishing anything about juvenile suicide cases.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
Check to see how many of these young people were medicating due to depression and/or anxiety.  Some of the drugs used to combat these emotional malaise have very unfortunate side effects regarding suicide.  Thats my guess.  Either that or the grunge music is still having its Cobain effect.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
Check to see how many of these young people were medicating due to depression and/or anxiety.  Some of the drugs used to combat these emotional malaise have very unfortunate side effects regarding suicide.  Thats my guess.  Either that or the grunge music is still having its Cobain effect.

Grunge music died out a while ago, it was cool for maybe a few months in 2011, but not it's kind of gone. I don't think music is doing anything with kids and suicide much these days. More likely the fact that a lot of kids just want attention that they never get because they just need it all, and killing themselves gives them the spotlight for maybe two weeks.

The only (slightly) reasonable suicide is the 3rd one that happened in late October, the kid had terrible parents that would beat him and usually left him to starve and die. Nobody went to help anyways, and if I would have known the kid i'd probably help.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:00:59 PM »
What is up with people just deciding to kill themselves recently? Is this a big issue in other parts of the country, or is the area I live in a special case? I don't think there's a suicide rate as high as the area I live in throughout the neighboring states.

Suicide isn't soley the realm of the young - 22 US ex-veterans kill themselves every day - 70% of those are over 50

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:23:30 PM »
One of the rules of the internet is "when one sees a lion, one must jump in the car." In a a nut shell, if someone starts bullying the others will follow. Cyber bullying has become a real problem. The biggest cause of the problem in my opinion is facebook. Everyone wants to have 2,000 friends on facebook to seem popular but don't really know half the people on the list. My brother is one of these kids, however he will deny it. I didn't make my facebook profile until about three months after I was out of high school, even then it was only to keep in touch with my squadies outside the game. Keeping in touch with high school friends was just a plus. As of right now I have about 50 friends on facebook, I don't need anymore than that. For me it's about the quality, when someone starts harassing me on facebook I know it's a joke or I've done something to deserve it. The problem with kids today is that they all "friend" people that they've passed in the hallway once, and when jokes (or mildly harsh words) go around things quickly escalate out of control.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »
I knew a girl who committed suicide last year by walking out in front of a train. She was only 17, but had a medical problem that caused her to have depression due to chemical imbalances in her brain.

However, she was like the fifth person to commit suicide in the preceeding year (at that time) to kill themselves by walking in front of a train in the greater Pittsburgh area.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
My nephew committed suicide just over a decade ago. Since then I have followed the issue and paid attention to it. The single most common thread through most suicides anymore is psychotropic medicines, such as Ritalin, Prozac, etc.

What the medical community has come to learn is that there is a very strong association in withdrawals from these 'mind altering' medications and violent thoughts and behaviour to include suicide. In fact, pay attention to TV commercials for these types of medicines. They tend to be 60-second commercials and over half of the commercial will be used to identify potential side effects, and virtually all of them mention violence or suicide.

Dosage, length of use, etc are extremely important. My nephew would be 30 right now. He was first prescribed Prozac when he was 5 years old! Back then it was the wonder drug. Seemed to cure everything and was handed out like candy. What they have learned since is that for children prescribed this (and similar drugs): 1) if prescribed for X period of time 2) below a certain age, suicide is almost 100%, either successful or attempted. Based on this kind of data they are much, much, much more careful about prescriptions, warning signs, etc. My nephew was one of tens of thousands who served at ground zero for the learning curve.

Final thought, this is clearly not related to all cases. Just an informed observation. In fact, you would be amazed at how many of these mass public shootings involved young people either on or in withdrawals from these types of drugs. Again, it does not answer every action but amazing at how many cases are linked.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:49:19 AM »
They are teaching it in school now.. The whole hate humanity, hate self thing.. Humans are a virus, etc etc..

Death love, is the new Fetish! It is intentional, and it's working..

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »
Suicide isn't soley the realm of the young - 22 US ex-veterans kill themselves every day - 70% of those are over 50

Tronsky

This is true aprox 18-25 US Veterans commit suicide daily. I'm not sure what an ex-veteran is though Tronski.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »
They are teaching it in school now.. The whole hate humanity, hate self thing.. Humans are a virus, etc etc..

Death love, is the new Fetish! It is intentional, and it's working..

I'd love to know all about these teachings of hatred in school. Please, tell me more about it while I go get my tinfoil hat.

Cyber bullying has become a real problem. The biggest cause of the problem in my opinion is facebook. Everyone wants to have 2,000 friends on facebook to seem popular but don't really know half the people on the list.

This latest suicide wasn't related to bullying, but more of psychological issues. Bullying is a problem in these days with all of the resources available to those that feel the need to pick on others.

Tronsky

I know suicide isn't only with younger people but all of the recent suicides have been done with people under the age of 18. There are a lot of veterans that commit suicide and that is also an issue.

I just wish people would realize they can go get some help for this and that they don't have to suffer.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
Lusche is right, suicide does tend to follow 'epidemic' trends.  In my experience, the people and reasons don't have to be connected, but it seems the 'news' of so and so committing suicide perpetuates suicidal thoughts in others.  If that is the case, clearly young people are more susceptible than most well adjusted adults.  Obviously, smaller areas seem to have this phenomenon occur more than larger ones.

The best thing people can do, imo, is talk openly about it.  It's my contention that if the families and communities affected by suicide would do so, the true selfish nature of the act would be more apparent to those considering it.  It truly is the single most selfish thing a person can do, and is almost universally the hardest death for loved ones to deal with.  The natural reaction for most family members is to not talk about it though.  The shame most family members feel turns to anger and usually sticks around - leaving an unusually complicated grieving process.

I would like to think that even extremely depressed folks would at least pause if they considered what they're about to put their family through, but that's probably overly optimistic and asking for rational thought from the irrational. 

God bless the families that deal with this.   :pray
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »
Where do you live? Not saying there is a geo/demographic link in this case, but there may be...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
Where do you live? Not saying there is a geo/demographic link in this case, but there may be...

I live in Wisconsin. Hardly anything ever happens in my area, so I don't think there is any sort of link.

Hell, the county I live in is the highest for suicide rates in all of Wisconsin.