Author Topic: No Icons for enemy  (Read 10659 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: No Icons for enemy
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
Or ... I suppose ... code to where if you cant up a specific plane there, you cant refuel and rearm there .....

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
You could build it and have at least the PTO and ETO separated, and you wouldn't need a chess piece for each country, just Allies or Axis but you would really need a 4th chess piece or people wouldn't know who on the roster is a PTO Rook or an ETO Rook.

Of course you could just look to where the dar action was.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:24:05 PM by jimson »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
You could build it and have at least the PTO and ETO separated, but you wouldn't need a chess piece for each country just Allies or Axis but you would really need a 4th chess piece or people wouldn't know who on the roster is a PTO Rook or an ETO Rook.

Of course you could see where the dar action was.

PTO ..... ETO ...... Med ... Burma ..... North Africa?

I'm thinkin' the 'no refuel/rearm for aircraft or vehicles that you can't normally equip yourself with at that base' may be the most practical solution (depending on the coding difficulty). And it may have to be AvA, strictly, with a 2 sided setup.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
I played with it with the tools we have now and you could represent most but not all theaters (never really figured out where to put CBI) but couldn't really separate them all.
I came up with something like this with a wall only separating PTO out. It's all warped as you can see and more islands would be put in the pacific.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:36:01 PM by jimson »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
It would be a bit hard to avoid overlap:

Having said that, I was thinking about your 'fourth side' comment and I believe this could be accomplished with three sides - western axis, allies and eastern axis.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
It would be a bit hard to avoid overlap

So Arlo, you been reading Faulkner lately...?

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
Can't say as I have. Recommendation?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »
Can't say as I have. Recommendation?

"The Sound and the Fury" would be my pick for your first Faulkner.

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
What about 'The Portable Faulkner?'

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »
seeing the ava locked after this update gives me a little hope.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
AvA locked due to side setting. Isn't AvA already enemy icon free?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
You having a problem with my opinion as to why no icons is a bad idea in the MA not involving a screenshot has nothing to do with my being discourteous. But ... what you're doing, presently, is an example of not productively discussing the topic. If you feel mocked by me, specifically, I assure you that it's a perception problem .. and not mine.  :D

You're welcome.  :salute
:rofl

Ok - I just spit coffee out my nose.

As the person who introduced No ICONS by accident into Aces High through the AvA, I can say that the experience of flying without enemy icons puts your situation awareness A-Game to the test.  It's easy to enage and disengage enemies if you choose to do so - and it's easy to loose an enemy if you're not following what they're doing.  Trust me when I say it changes the way you play cause you fly in a busy AvA arena like a paranoid skitzo.  Every possible black dot is an enemy fighter to sneak up on you - no different that fighter jocks and bombers in WWII had to deal with.  They didn't get a RED or PURPLE rook/knight enemy colour with an ICON on the plane-type.

The locked-arena this week is my bad. I'm usually hanging around to make sure it's working right but life got in the way.  But we are doing a new setup this week and it should be fun with a 'cough' new map....maybe.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
As the person who introduced No ICONS by accident into Aces High through the AvA, I can say that the experience of flying without enemy icons puts your situation awareness A-Game to the test.  It's easy to enage and disengage enemies if you choose to do so - and it's easy to loose an enemy if you're not following what they're doing.  Trust me when I say it changes the way you play cause you fly in a busy AvA arena like a paranoid skitzo.  Every possible black dot is an enemy fighter to sneak up on you - no different that fighter jocks and bombers in WWII had to deal with.  They didn't get a RED or PURPLE rook/knight enemy colour with an ICON on the plane-type.

The locked-arena this week is my bad. I'm usually hanging around to make sure it's working right but life got in the way.  But we are doing a new setup this week and it should be fun with a 'cough' new map....maybe.

Looking forward to giving it a try. Tween family obligations and the squad having FSO obligations, it's not always doable. AvA was my home for years.  Personally, no Enemy icons doesn't scare me away from there. :D

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16:07 PM »
AvA
seeing the ava locked after this update gives me a little hope.
It was locked while I loaded the new setup http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,347522.0.html

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #194 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
:rofl

Ok - I just spit coffee out my nose.

maybe just try a new awesome map but with a full plane set so we can these ideas here a whirl. do you run no icons on friendlies too?