Author Topic: No Icons for enemy  (Read 10664 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: No Icons for enemy
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
No, only enemy icons are off.

Seano, we normally run specific scenarios, Battle of Britain, Midway etc.

Yes the plane set is limited but they really are a lot of fun. Come on in some time if you like

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:52 AM »
half the fun of the main arena is shooting down the same plane you are flying. its an even match and dependant on pilot skill.  we need to try this in a late war main arena setting where perk points will count. thats the only way we will get the kind of numbers we need to make it fun and resonalbe. the axis [lanes are at way too much disadvantage. a 190d9 didnt have that much less turn radius than a p51.  190 a8 for that matter.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »
half the fun of the main arena is shooting down the same plane you are flying. its an even match and dependant on pilot skill.  we need to try this in a late war main arena setting where perk points will count. thats the only way we will get the kind of numbers we need to make it fun and resonalbe. the axis [lanes are at way too much disadvantage. a 190d9 didnt have that much less turn radius than a p51.  190 a8 for that matter.

:huh :lol

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

You may be right, but that's not the charter of the Axis vs Allies arena.

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »
You may be right, but that's not the charter of the Axis vs Allies arena.

no its not, but the guys who run the ava could actually try a main arena style fight without icons with the whole planeset.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
no its not, but the guys who run the ava could actually try a main arena style fight without icons with the whole planeset.

That wouldn't pass muster with HT.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »

So could the FSO, or any of the SEAs.  "Axis v Allied" suggests a certain inherent limitation.

- oldman

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
About the only times we ever depart from the Axis vs Allies format is for the Soccer War and that was a RL battle and during jaeger's Jetweek, and even that is a loose Korean war interpretation with the ME 262 subbing for both the F-86 and the Mig-15. (two planes very similar in performance)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:22:55 PM by jimson »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
Hey, here's your chance.

During the server work something happened to my terrain so the arena has rangoon loaded with a full plane set and I don't have time to fix it LOL, so until another staffer gets in to fix it, there ya go.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
full planeset with no enemy icons!!! yeehaw!!!!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
I recall an Israeli setting in the AvA as well.  Israel and its neighbors use a lot of surplus WWII stuff, Bf109s, Mosquitoes, Spitfires, ect.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
I recall an Israeli setting in the AvA as well.  Israel and its neighbors use a lot of surplus WWII stuff, Bf109s, Mosquitoes, Spitfires, ect.

Yup.  That was back before AH2.  Can't remember the player's name, he was Israeli and came up with the Israel map.  Some good fights back then.

None of those AH1 maps survived the transition to AH2, though, which was one of the reasons why AH2 largely killed off the AvA's population.

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »

None of those AH1 maps survived the transition to AH2, though, which was one of the reasons why AH2 largely killed off the AvA's population.

- oldman

Hey, good point. Time to learn how to make maps.  :D

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
Everything is fixed now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:21:12 PM by jimson »

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »
except in a furball you will have several airplanes both friendly and foe all around and hard to tell who's who.  remember lots of us are getting up there in years and we need reading glasses to even see the big icons we have now.

semp

I like the idea, but you make a good point. The solution could be some kind of minor visual cue that lets you know who's friendly. Not a full icon, but maybe a small dot in place of the icon or a colored outline of the friendly a/c.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod