Author Topic: Paratrooper/infantry roles  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Paratrooper/infantry roles
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
It is seldom that I throw in a new wish (and oft I play devils advocate, regarding other wishes) but, and let me preface with my having no clue about how hard this would be to code, what about expanding the role of drunks in the game?

Right now our paratroopers/mobile infantry have but one job (and they do it rather well) - capture a maproom. What if they could be coded to maintain either a defensive or offensive perimeter? The option would be selected at the time of loadout (capture/perimeter). On a defensive footing, they could be distributed around town to perhaps intercept invading paratroopers. On an offensive footing they could be dropped anywhere on the map to attack enemy ground vehicles when they get within a certain range (I reckon this would require coding a bazooka or panzerfaust). Another possibility would be a minefield loadout (with a set period of time before it disables itself).

It would also be cool to see the drunks skinned by the delivery vehicle country of origin.

Eh, just a thought. No crisis without.  :D

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
Re: Paratrooper/infantry roles
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »

It would also be cool to see the drunks skinned by the delivery vehicle country of origin.

Huge +1 on this last comment!!
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »
Did....that....just....come.. ..from....my....ole....pal... .....Arlo?   :huh

Well, what a fantastic fab-a-listic idea!  :x

+1

:D

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
I know. It was kinda like a weird aberration thing. I need a beer.  :D

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
+1
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
The easiest thing HTC could do to implement an actual role for troops in AH is to code certain kinds of troops to "attack" certain OBJ's.  Meaning, having infantry attack auto ack, engineers attack buildings, and commandos capture map rooms.  Etc.  The implementation would be all the same as current troops being let out to capture the map room except now when they are let loose they'll run towards the nearest auto ack, town building, etc.  Have them be immune to auto ack fire.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
Have them be immune to auto ack fire.

I wouldn't go that far.

And (again, not from a programmer pov) ... couldn't the paratroops be coded to stay in a static position (like V supplies) and attack targets that enter their proximity?  :)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »
The easiest thing HTC could do to implement an actual role for troops in AH is to code certain kinds of troops to "attack" certain OBJ's.  Meaning, having infantry attack auto ack, engineers attack buildings, and commandos capture map rooms.  Etc.  The implementation would be all the same as current troops being let out to capture the map room except now when they are let loose they'll run towards the nearest auto ack, town building, etc.  Have them be immune to auto ack fire.

Except for the immune bit I like this option. I think defensive troops could be modelled to defend towns. They would have to be released to occupy town buildings from which they shoot at sappers or other troops and light vehicles.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
Awsome idea, but like any awsome idea, it can be easily exploited unless theres a specific time cap on the lives of the troops, in this case. Which would make the awsomeness of the idea redundant.

Maybe something more subtle is required?

The best ideas that make it in, usually are.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:51:34 PM by Torquila »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
Like the mines, I reckon a time cap is just the natural order. Probably about as long (if as long) as average repair times. Maybe that could be linked somehow.

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:55:10 AM »
This has been discussed before, in detail.. I remember even HT said he kinda liked the idea..
Never nailed down the form it would take tho..

I always liked the Idea of "GV Bailout"..
Carrying a Thompson and 2 Bazooka shots.. Or MP40 and two Panzerfaust.. Or a Sten and PIAT..
Or PPsh41, and Panzerfaust, (I am unaware of a Russian produced, rocket propelled AT device in WW2)

That would be good for starters, and would serve to get things moving.. 

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 08:45:40 AM »

I always liked the Idea of "GV Bailout"..

Ok .... but why? We already have troop delivery systems - goon, LTVA, M3, SdKFz. Even a jeep can now carry three (I'm not sure why - I guess HT was increasing the troop delivery systems and this was considered a potential supplemental).

Our unit base for ground troops is 10. Currently it is animated but this appears to be superficial (though very cool). The capabilities of this unit are still singular in nature. They never fire a shot, run into a map-room and if enough get in they take a town. Very straightforward and efficient. They can be eliminated with ground or air fire. Only natural. If their function can be altered, again, it would only be natural that they can fire, as well. And it may be programmable as to what they can fire - carbines, rifles, sub-machine guns do come to mind. As a static periphery defensive unit (though in game terms I suppose this would be an 'exotic weapon') they can believably set up a machine-gun nest or possess limited anti-tank capability (essentially tread poppers ... which retains tactical viability). As others have mentioned, perhaps use could be further enhanced (sophisticated) to include capture of other buildings rather than just a map room (though this could lead to it being actually harder to take a town - imagine 'over 50% of the buildings must be captured to take a town'). Then a re-determination of how any many drunks it takes per structure. Already a rather simple idea is becoming complicated.

I say a simple (and I know, saying 'simple' in context to coding may be not so much) addition works best for 'starters.' Troops are already static when dropped too far from a map-room (or at least they were in previous incarnations of my spotty experience with the game over the years). If they could be code-enhanced to kneel in a circle for, I dunno, 15 to 30 minutes and shoot at any enemy icon that comes within range then you have something more like true paratroops or mobile infantry (minus the 'mobile' once they are dropped). Give that unit (or 'exotic weapon') a load-out of one anti-tank weapon (2 troops) one machine-gun nest (2 troops) and 6 rifles and you have a basic 'squad' so to speak (and ten troops do a lot in AH). Drop them in a tree line and they may be hard to see (an ambush - though I suppose their 'P' icons may give them away - do they still have 'P' icons?). Drop them on the other side or a ridge - a nasty surprise for a tank about to come over one. Drop them around the outskirts of your own town and temporarily beef up security there (not sure if a limit within a certain space on the map is achievable).

I anticipate that goon targets would increase by a factor of 20% or more.  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:57:00 AM by Arlo »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »
Didn't HT mention a plan for the future a couple months back that would add some sort of playable ground element/FPS? Where instead of just AI troops you had player troops as well?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »
Didn't HT mention a plan for the future a couple months back that would add some sort of playable ground element/FPS? Where instead of just AI troops you had player troops as well?

Dunno. Didn't see his post. But I'm not talking about player infantry. That sounds like much more than what I'm suggesting. Personally, I'd rather drop off the troops and go onto other things.  :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Additional discussion regarding paratrooper and mobile infantry roles
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
So, as mentioned back in April, the role of drunks (AI ground units) could possibly be enhanced. Their method of delivery would remain the same, being dropped as paratroops or delivered via ground transport, but the options of 'capture' or 'static perimeter' could be selected at the time of loadout. Through the 'static perimeter' option they will dump much like supplies. Perhaps they could take kneeling positions. Enhance the weaponry carried by the squad (add a bazooka - team required 2, add a Browning auto). The squad may be dropped out in the open but it may be better to drop it in a town (friendly, for additional defense) or in a treeline (setting up potential ambush) for additional cover. Their icons could be subdued or limited in range (perhaps to the same range they would have on a target). Multiple squads could be dropped up to company strength within a certain distance. If dropped within range of enemy drunks, they may engage each other. Give them a time limit of 30 minutes.

And there would be better reason to skin the uniforms to match the vehicle that delivered them .... with further reason to model the JU-52.