Author Topic: idea for the great GV battles at a tank town,to prevent massive bombing  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: idea for the great GV battles at a tank town,to prevent massive bombing
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Indeed FLS, that is the standard procedure, but most of us just tend to enjoy the basic fighter sorties and not the more grueling dedicated roles such as fighter cap for gv or strat defense.

I have found the 410 with the 2 13mm and 6 20mms (close enough nates) most effective in this manner, due to the sheer number of bullets in the air and persueing pings scaring the hell out of any victims and reducing return runs, but staying low enough to cover the gvs in a timely manner certainly turns a magnet into an electro-magnet and requires a toughened state of mind (one that may not be condusive to total enjoyment).

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »
I've found that the bombing issues have largely been alleviated by the new icon ranges.

The only real way to bomb them effectively is to carpet bomb, or come within range of invisible AA fire.
Not many people appear to be using smoke as a way of making targets for aircraft.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »
A quick refresher on GV's

A GV firing even a pintle gun at an enemy aircraft, the enemy can see your tracer round, effectively giving away your position.
A GV parked shows half the icon range as a GV moving.  So it would be prudent to stop moving if enemy aircraft are nearby.
A GV parked under trees can mask (to a degree) its icon from enemies.  So it would be prudent to take cover if enemy aircraft are nearby.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »
As of right now, I love when bomb laden fighters show up over tank town. I usually cruise in a clean fighter just to shoot them down. The guys on the ground seem pretty happy that I'm knocking bomb tards out of the sky that would normally be hitting them. The only issue I have is with the bomber pilot that comes in at 25k. I'm not high enough/ have enough E to catch him before he drops. The clouds seem to do a good job at capping that issue even if it does wreck my frame rate.

On the other hand, adding a little dynamic to the game is a concept that interests me. Maybe have patches of rain instead of raining everywhere. Have a day that is overcast (once the frame rate issue with clouds is fixed). And even though it is not a popular topic, maybe night time or at least an accelerated night time (one that only lasts about 20 to 30 minutes). I don't know what everyone complains about. I've set it to night time in a custom arena and offline and had no trouble hitting targets, that is when they weren't busy punishing the back side of my plane.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
remember one thing about this weather wish over tank town........it would not stop bombing.....just reduce bombing...if anything ...it would add a new challenge to the bombing pilots.........maybe a challenge isnt good in the game...i see we already got rid of wind because people cried.....we got rid of trinity map....be cause it was too hard....and people cried....we un-perked the ta-152,etc

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
As of right now, I love when bomb laden fighters show up over tank town. I usually cruise in a clean fighter just to shoot them down. The guys on the ground seem pretty happy that I'm knocking bomb tards out of the sky that would normally be hitting them. The only issue I have is with the bomber pilot that comes in at 25k.

a bomb**** at tank town at 25k deserves every kill he can get  :aok

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
remember one thing about this weather wish over tank town........it would not stop bombing.....just reduce bombing...if anything ...it would add a new challenge to the bombing pilots.........maybe a challenge isnt good in the game...i see we already got rid of wind because people cried.....we got rid of trinity map....be cause it was too hard....and people cried....we un-perked the ta-152,etc

Don't try and mask your request as a "challenge" to the bomber pilots, be honest in what you're wishing for, which is to make you immune to being bombed while you're in a GV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
a bomb**** at tank town at 25k deserves every kill he can get  :aok

Sadly, I have to agree with this. If he took the time to climb up there, I'll let him have his fun.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »
Don't try and mask your request as a "challenge" to the bomber pilots, be honest in what you're wishing for, which is to make you immune to being bombed while you're in a GV.

ack-ack
While youre right somewhere, please note that he was talking about the tank town first. It was pretty annoying when some individuals spent a hour in a lancaster only to be able to bomb defenseless targets. Also, its not much fun to fly a fighter for like 25 mins only to see that lancaster bailing when you get into icon range.

I would say, yes, the Tank Town btarding is lame, but anywhere else, deal with it.
AoM
City of ice

Offline TheMercinary60

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 03:51:25 AM »
dont believe i ever bombed tank town over my years of playing, i may have tried ground attack a few times,but i dont recall getting kills. that said leave it as is, i say if you are all so concerned about it, ask for a separate "gv only arena" but dont ask for immunity in a game. unless i start getting immunity for my bombers over 30k or so "because thats basically bomber territory" theres no reason yu should have your own little slice of god mode. that said, why dont you get people to provide air cover? i see no end to the whining of fighter guys on here about how this is a "fighter sim" and we shouldnt have gv or bombers at all. if they want to shoot down planes, then go where the planes like to accumulate. im sure this will be oh so popular of an opinion but the way i see it, nothing is special for anyone and the second that changes this game goes on the downward spiral to unplayable
Formally Merc flying with the 99th Blue Lagoon Bandits
I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled.

HiTech - in response to davidwales

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
Why do people that take out GVs insist they should be immune from air attack?

ack-ack

QFT

The one that kills me is the map with the 7500 foot tank fields, surrounded by mountains (about the most isolated spot to gv fight) is typically empty. GVrs go where there is good spawn camping. Those... just happen to be near bases that are easier to take. I would love to see a large scale GV fight, uninterrupted by air to ground guys... still have not seen one last more than 10-15 minutes before some guy shows up in an airplane.

It is just the nature of the beast.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
I would be cool with some form of that IF it were also nearly impossible for the main gun of a tank to hit a maneuvering aircraft.  Just like in RL.

You are correct about not being able to hit a plane with the main gun of any tank. I had a 19D20 MOS and anyone who ever looked into the sights of a tank would know why. It would be like being put in the trunk of a car with a small hole to put a rifle scope out of than being driven around while trying to locate aim fire at and hit a flying bird. Never mind never even being able to hear a plane over the engine nose. Even if the TC saw the apposing aircraft he would still have to tell the gunner and the gunner would have to locate traverse the gun onto the moving plane and fire. By that time the pilot and plane would be three counties away. The only way a tank ever shot down an aircraft was by accident and the crew never knew it or never reported it. I do not count claims made  by the Red Army in WWII if there are any.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
I don't think it's a desire for immunity so much as odds of survival that approach something close to 50:50.

I mean frankly, if you die to a non-flak vehicle, you were flying poorly, and deserved to take a 75mm to the cockpit. There is no reason you should expect NOT to be hit when flying down a tank's barrel.

Gv's on the other hand can't avoid an aircraft's field of fire in any way other than just not upping.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
Lancasters kill a tiny fraction of GVs, but the whines make it sound like an epidemic.

Right now the balance of power is way, way, way too far in the GV's favor.  I say this as somebody who doesn't usually attack GVs.  The icon change has made Wirbelwinds into mobile, invisible and extremely deadly safespots for ack runners.

GVs need no additional protection from hostile aircraft.  What is needed is for friendly icons on GVs to follow the same rules as hostile icons.  600 yards if not moving and 1200 yards if moving.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
The balance of power is probably fine. IRL, any plane flying straight at an AA gun would be shot down. Same in game...

More wirbs, more aircraft, and dumber pilots. Of course more of you will be shot down. But that's some of your fault, not entirely the game's.

I agree on the friendly icon thing to a certain extent. Maybe 1.25 x the view range of enemies, just to represent radio contact.