Author Topic: Remembering the improvements  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Grayclif

• Copper Member
Re: Remembering the improvements
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
Sirnuke, You poor miserable soul. I hope you have a good day. Try a nice Padron cigar, pour yourself a good scotch and cheer up.

You should put yourself in my shoes for a day, and then AH would seem really special to you.

Everyday, I get to fly with a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1525. I run the most generic graphics and sound you can possibly run and I get an avg frame rate of 4-9 fpm. 12 in the early morning hours when 70 people are on.

My Saitek ST-290 pro is 9 years old and the spring is so stiff that I feel like I have been driving a stick shift in busy traffic after an hour of game play.

The game never downloads correctly for me, and parts of all of my airplanes will appear neon green or pink at times.

Lastly, after 12 years of play I still have never mastered gamma settings. My planes bobble all over the place with just the slightest touch of the stick or a pull of the trigger. Especially the rudder. The ball wobble is a nightmare and trying to aim consumes every bit of steadyness I can muster. A touch of the rudder either way makes my plane wobble from side to side 4 or 5 times before self centering.

Anyway, you get the idea. Things are probably not so bad on your end.

Enjoy your day.

Love,

The Grayclif

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
in 14 years millions of wishes have been made, but with a single dev the game is bound to stagnate. The gameplay is the same since the start, details have been changed but its still bomb the town and drop troops. The increase in defense on fields got the counter effect of what was expected, reducing the action in the MA to hordes, since trying a capture with a couple friends is bound to fail considering the defensive options.

I'm not a gameplay designer but maybe HTC should consider getting a consultant in that domain.

Last time I checked this was not a community project but a service sold by HTC for a non negligible price. To be frank I find the content editors and film editor counter intuitive, unstable, with an interface reminding Windows 95, and the validation process is obscure at best.

The help pages are not up to date.

graphics are dated, the 18miles view distance excuse is getting old.

Players are beta testers.

I'll stop there before getting a nasty pm from HT

EDIT: the flight model is brilliant and I think it's what got the game where it is, I wish the game would recenter on that.

well then, i have to ask...what are you doing lurking around the forums, or paying to play the game? it's obvious nothing about it fits within your dream of what would be ideal, so why hang around...and don't go with that "it's the people i know" gig either. that's nothing more than a poor excuse to lurk and whine.

i hate to be the one to tell you this but, the graphics may not be photo realistic, unless you really enjoy flying against mindless a.i. or console kids, there isn't an mmo air combat sim out there that is. the majority of the people here can't afford the gigabit internet connection or the systems needed to run a sim with photo realistic graphics on a massive scale. maybe spending some time researching things would do you some good.

as far as the players being beta testers...bad news...if you own a computer, smart phone or tablet pc, you are a beta tester. or did you mistakenly believe all those updates and revisions were just "eye candy"?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
I do play the game, I average 40 hours a month and often in top 10 fighter rank, you? I actually payed for 2 accounts for a while mostly to support HTC, in the hope of seeing the game evolve.

Patience is running out.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
before i took a break i was playing more than 40 hours a month...the game has evolved, may not be the way you want it but it has. the only thing that hasn't evolved is the way people engage each other in the arenas...and you can't contol the people.
jarhed  

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
you can't contol the people.

You can, by changing the game mechanics. Quick example, the new 88mm guns. People now instead of taking a fighter to kill the attackers at the risk of getting killed will often prefer to hide in their gun, taking zero risk and just be a nuisance, encouraging the death of the ongoing fight.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »
You can, by changing the game mechanics. Quick example, the new 88mm guns. People now instead of taking a fighter to kill the attackers at the risk of getting killed will often prefer to hide in their gun, taking zero risk and just be a nuisance, encouraging the death of the ongoing fight.

This happened long before the 88s were introduced.

You gave an example of a perceived fault but you didn't offer a way to incorporate a change to the game that would discourage such.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
another example...

why take attack planes and a goon to capture a town, when you can get there quicker in gvs, while being nearly invisible on the map and with no icons to show until too late?

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
This happened long before the 88s were introduced.

You gave an example of a perceived fault but you didn't offer a way to incorporate a change to the game that would discourage such.

easy

Enable icons and deaths for ack manners. Or delete them from the airfields.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
another example...

why take attack planes and a goon to capture a town, when you can get there quicker in gvs, while being nearly invisible on the map and with no icons to show until too late?
because a lot of times the spawn points don't go where you want them to...blame the map makers.

easy

why? de-ack the field, problem solved.
jarhed  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
another example...

You can do either, per preference. It's obvious when a side is attacking via ground.
You can still defend your base via planes or vehicles. What's 'broken' here?  :aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
easy

Even easier than you think. Take out the 88s whether you see an icon to
build glory or not.  The gun pops, your attack plane score goes up. If you're
in fighter mode, this is technically not a dogfight. :)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
You can do either, per preference. It's obvious when a side is attacking via ground.
You can still defend your base via planes or vehicles. What's 'broken' here?  :aok

Its obvious? Say an nmy plane is flashing a field, how could you know there is 50 gvs near the town smart guy?

Icon changes made defending against gvs suicidal. I'll do gvs when you ground looks like actual ground and the trees will stop protecting against shells.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »
why? de-ack the field, problem solved.

yeah sure, its so easy. And so fun.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

Its obvious? Say an nmy plane is flashing a field, how could you know there is 50 gvs near the town smart guy?

Icon changes made defending against gvs suicidal. I'll do gvs when you ground looks like actual ground and the trees will stop protecting against shells.

Smart guy knows that either way it's obvious the town is being attacked and furthermore knows that there's always
a possibility that GVs are involved. Likely, even if there's just one plane. If not, up and splash the plane and see if
things clear. If there are no planes and the place is being attacked, well then it's a matter of Captain Obvious to
the rescue!

This isn't a 'sky is falling' issue.  :)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
you guys are cute, saying "do this do that", but this is not work its a game to have fun and destroying AI gunners to finally vulch is not fun. I can do that in an offline game.