Author Topic: 999000's Buff Gunnery Skills  (Read 1253 times)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
999000's Buff Gunnery Skills
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
I'm lucky enough to be on his squad, but I have read alot of +1's to 999000's buff gunning ability here on the forumns. I haven't had the chance to emulate him as I'm not sure how he achieves the gunnery kills that he does.

now, I'm aware of the odd buff flying tactics he uses to achieve the kills, but does anyone (including the man himself) know what he's doing in the gunner seat?  Is my convergence off, is he using only single guns to range then blasting with full guns?

I enjoy flying buffs and what they bring to my country, but man it'd be nice to step up to 999000's level... And make it home safely with the kills.

Any hints tips n. tricks welcome!  :joystick:
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 999000's Buff Gunnery Skills
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »
 well since you're in his squad why not ask the man himself?  Really all you need is about 999000 hrs of buff flying and gunning and you 2 can acquire those skills!    :devil

:salute

PS: you cant change the convergence on the buffs guns,they're preset to 500 yds.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
 :aok Morfiend

500 convergence?! Well, I'm at 1 of 999000 hours because I just learned something!

-I haven't had the chance to pick his brain yet, but I will. I also was looking for any other help (such as the convergence above).

-KB

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »

I can't speak for Da Man, but as someone who has been on the receiving end of 9's marksmanship I can say I have noticed one thing that stands out.  9's doesn't shoot and miss allot.  He waits and then kills with his first burst.  It would be my guess, and just a guess mind you...that 9's has a very good sight picture in his mind's eye of the position and range for a hit.  He waits, and when that picture in game matches what he knows will be a hit from experience...he let's loose.  High speed, High (rarely used) angles, and good marksmanship are needed to counter him.  Best I can do is about 50/50 against the buffgod.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »
I can't speak for Da Man, but as someone who has been on the receiving end of 9's marksmanship I can say I have noticed one thing that stands out.  9's doesn't shoot and miss allot.  He waits and then kills with his first burst.
<snip>

Gunners that wait for a good shot are very dangerous. Those that start spraying at 1+k out may ping me, but then I will break off the attack and reposition. I will never attack against a gunner that it tracking me unless perhaps I am coming down supersonic from is 1/11 oc position. Gunners that wait make the fighter believe that they are unaware and often cause him to take more risk in his attack. When they do open up, he cannot instantly break off and out of range for safety - it turns into a "kill or die" situation and then the quality of the gunner really comes into play.

Also, one has to remember that the bombers have three "strikes". When you see a fighter landing two kills it means he is 2:0 against the enemy. When a bomber lands 2 kills he could be 2:2. Therefore trading a drone for a kill is a better deal for the bomber player than for the fighter player.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
 :O

Personally I have been saddled off a wingtip on a set of buffs... 1.5K out... Here I come to ruin your day buffs!!!

Tink! Tower!

Wtf?!?! I was over a K out GD 999999 wtf his name is  :devil

His aim is retarded gud!  :neener:

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
I believe I once saw him de-ack a vehicle field with a set of B17s by his lonesome

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
He once pinged me at 1.5k showing on my display, flying high and parallel to him to get set up, knocked off an aileron.  I went hunting for easier prey.

How to get that good?  Practice IMO.  Obscene amounts of practice.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »

I can't speak for Da Man, but as someone who has been on the receiving end of 9's marksmanship I can say I have noticed one thing that stands out.  9's doesn't shoot and miss allot.  He waits and then kills with his first burst.  It would be my guess, and just a guess mind you...that 9's has a very good sight picture in his mind's eye of the position and range for a hit.  He waits, and when that picture in game matches what he knows will be a hit from experience...he let's loose.  High speed, High (rarely used) angles, and good marksmanship are needed to counter him.  Best I can do is about 50/50 against the buffgod.

Very accurate observation imho.

My outside the box observation is he uses very short bursts and at one aim point.  Using the classic garden-hose analogy - he doesnt have it on at full blast as he elevates and traverses his aim across the yard, rather he has it pinched off with one hand and makes a quick and steady aim with the other and when he sees the shot he lets loose a brief but very strong and focused blast.  He doesn't waste ammo a lot and is very patient and observant, little credit is given to what this does against offenders compared to most other buff gunners in the MA, but it gives many/most attackers false sences of security.  His aim/guess at leading targets is exceptional, but to his credit he preffers the American .50-cal, which has a very fast and flat ("user friendly") trajectory.  There's ways to shooting down Nines in buffs, and he some of the best practice for the job :devil , but get lazy just once or give him that solid shot he's waiting patiently for and you'll get his hose.

Then there's the other aspects which I'm more clueless about but aware of (it never works for me :cry  :D ), which is effectively flying/navigating with your buffs against your attackers (usually at higher altitudes), and there are not many buff pilots who can, but Nine's is one.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Haven't play in a few years but I do remember going up against him several times and not liking the results. The only partially successful time I've ever encountered him was when I was in a Typhie diving at a 90 degree dive on his formation. I got off a blind burst and took out his lead plane then got nailed coming up and out the in front of him. I tried to reset but could not get in optimal position because my engine was smoking at this point so I had to dive in at a lower altitude and shallower angle thus gave him more time.

What happened next made me smile as I chewed up his second plane but then took a pw. As I was diving (about an 75 degree dive this time), I thought I saw his planes slow down. That's right kids, it seemed he throttled back and pulled slightly up on his nose thus ruining my solution and giving him a chance to nail me as I tried to correct. Tink, tink -> PW.. saluted him and went home. Guy is not only an awesome gunner.. He's smart!
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
999000 and Tatertot are the deadliest I've ever seen/winged. Haven't see Tot on in a while though.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 10:40:35 AM »
999000 is the god of b17 gunners, if you know he's around, prepare to die. thats just life in the Mains if he's infront of you!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
I've heard that 9's:

• Is 7 feet tall
  • Is able to spew fireballs from his eyes
  • Can shoot bolts of lightning from his rear end
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
I've heard that 9's:

• Is 7 feet tall
  • Is able to spew fireballs from his eyes
  • Can shoot bolts of lightning from his rear end

...FREEEEEEEEEDOM!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
Numbers is possible to kill, but you actually have to do it right.  If you give him anything remotely resembling a decent shot at you, he'll make you pay.  He is an excellent indicator of whether you've gotten sloppy. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11