Author Topic: Trinity  (Read 1755 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trinity
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
Greebo,

So when are you submitting your updated version of Trinity? It's not a bad map so much as we have changed our play style and it's become too restrictive and stalemates rather than instigates combat initiatives.

You hit the problems on the head related to todays game play style, versus when it was first introduced, it was a huge success to that generations game play style. Your new map seems to be you wanted to refurbish Trinity but, decided to reinvent it on a smaller scale instead.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
wow 1 year and 1300 post....worst than Midaqua...my questions is ......

why?
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 04:03:07 AM »
Greebo,

So when are you submitting your updated version of Trinity?

It would require HTC to release the source files for the terrain for anyone to be able to alter it. I doubt I'll ever get the time to do another terrain personally, I'd rather be skinning anyway. While there are similarities between my CraterMA and Trinity (border mountains, ringed TT) it is entirely coincidental. The border mountains are in no way a barrier between the countries like they are in Trinity.

CraterMA was originally designed over 4 years before it was released and I adapted it several times as AH's strat setup changed. However if I was designing an MA terrain from scratch for the current setup it would be a large terrain with the maximum 256 fields per side. That way a country has to capture 17 fields from each side to change the map and it would hang around a bit longer. I'd keep the front lines restricted to about 4-6 available fields per side by arranging them in ribbons across the map. This would bring players together, but not too much as in Trinity's front line setup. I'd also avoid placing too many fields in isolated spots where they could not be supported from adjacent fields.

Offline Gorf13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »
I am aware Trinity has it's faults, so do all the maps. Folks are going to complain about this map or that map, your never going to please everyone.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
Trinity should only come back when HTC fix its issues....

It is fixed. It's called CaterMA now.  :D :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
It is fixed. It's called CaterMA now.  :D :aok

Actually no it isn't.  The few times I recall being fortunate enough to play on CraterMA, it didn't last long (like a day).  Trinity had the virtue of staying around for at least several days. 

MH

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 08:41:09 AM »
wow 1 year and 1300 post....worst than Midaqua...my questions is ......

why?
:headscratch:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
Technically--there was nothing wrong with Trinity.  It provided all the basics that (IIRC) management here liked--including very strategic choke points at all 3 borders.

To "fix" Trinity--the main complaint used to be 2-fold....1) The monster high mountains on all three starting fronts, and  2)  That it took a "long time" for any side to gain a clear or winning advantage to go to the next map.

Just take the mountains down to about 7 to 10K  and reduce the base count amount by (+/-) 25%m on all three sides.

Leave the front bases alone and subtract from the extreme rear eschelon bases and then simply replace the HQ and strat locations by an equal but shorter distance but still have the option to have strats move further to the rear as before...only with fewer bases. 

With fewer bases to take the map and mountains less than a 1/3rd of what they were before, most of the complaints that got Trinity tossed would be addressed.

You will still have a map that is good for GV battles, furballs, cv strategy, but yet is still large enough for those want to meet a foe out of the way for a in-game duel.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:47:20 PM by MrGeezer »
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese