Author Topic: The Decline of the Forums  (Read 5555 times)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
Re: The Decline of the Forums
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »

Actually it was rather the other players screaming. Never have I seen anyone dispensing ego / reality checks with more surgical efficiency. BiPoLaR here actually made a guy log out after a 60 second transmission on range. I never saw him since, lolz.

Now I know you weren't flying with me. The only surgical efficiency I have is whacking trees =/
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »
Doesn't seem so, which is reflected in player numbers, and Snail's graph. Other reasons imho is that due to slow game development over past 10 years doesn't leave much to talk about which hasn't already been discussed 100 times before. Also too many egos and internet tough guys, one squad in particular likes to think of itself as the "Seal Smacking" squad which ownz everyone either in MA, CH200 or forums which does nothing at all for the game especially for new guys.

Personally I got bored with forums when O'Club got muted around 2003-2004 to where it is now and most of the  discussion revolves around guns,cars and sports. General, Aircraft/Vehicles  just repeat similar subjects on a consistent basis with the usual contributors trying to dominate any threads with their opinion of "I don't have to be right, I just have to say it" attitude.

All of which kills off discussion in the forums.

<S>...-Gixer

was gonna mention that as well. A myriad of things USED to be discussed in the O'club before the 'great purge' 4-5 years ago. Those same people (intelligent adults, for the most part) came here as much, or MORE, for the O'club as much as anything else, and once here, they contributed to the other sub-forums as well. After enough 'rule #4....#23...#5, etc, they left completely, and we're left with Midway and the 3 word story game
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2013, 03:19:21 AM »
no Zacherof, that would not accomplish anything. some of the worst dipsticks are former players who are just circling the gut wagons. that's not to say that there aren't some former players who don't contribute a great deal of knowledge and insight, because there are, and without them some discussions would just fail.

when you go into the navy, you should have plenty of more interesting things to do other than buzz around these forums posting silliness...
I come here more often than Facebook. Way more entertaining and I learn a thing or two.
And who knows what will happen in 3 months.

Aces high kept me outa of trouble for the most part in my youth, and 7 years later, made a name for myself while meeting some awesome people. I'll be back in the MA for sure tho. No matter what happens.

If you see an SBD at 10k going to a horde it's probably me :D
 :salute
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2013, 04:09:21 AM »
I use to fly in the DA a lot also.  Matter of fact it's where I met a really nice guy named nrshida.  He never talked, but showed me cool stuff and was just generally all around awesome nice. Then somehow things deteriorated to where we won't even speak to each other.  I suppose that's just life... many good things deteriorate over time.  Just like any natural process making room for the next one.  Wear and tear takes its toll. :frown:

Some can overcome this rather negative tendency, with strength of will and character, that is.  :old:

:salute nrshida :rock

:)

Midway,

I'm sorry if this comes across as nasty, it is more motivated by my own limitations but I just don't want to associate with you. I find your activities in AH disturbing, objectionable, weak of character and dishonest, both to yourself and to others. You are all about making yourself feel better by making others feel worse and I think that is awful and a really ugly facet of human behaviour.

I tried in your first weeks here to encourage you to enjoy the activity for what it is by trying to teach you some basics but I failed. I therefore choose to insulate myself from you and players like you. I won't let you ruin this hobby for me.

You've already decided that Midway > nrshida, by your own reckoning of all things so please, just leave me alone.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2013, 04:25:01 AM »
I love you both in a manly way only :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »

Midway,

I'm sorry if this comes across as nasty, it is more motivated by my own limitations but I just don't want to associate with you. I find your activities in AH disturbing, objectionable, weak of character and dishonest, both to yourself and to others. You are all about making yourself feel better by making others feel worse and I think that is awful and a really ugly facet of human behaviour.

I tried in your first weeks here to encourage you to enjoy the activity for what it is by trying to teach you some basics but I failed. I therefore choose to insulate myself from you and players like you. I won't let you ruin this hobby for me.

You've already decided that Midway > nrshida, by your own reckoning of all things so please, just leave me alone.

Well you are wrong about your "findings" but I forgive you for your misperception.  We all make mistakes including me and I'm sure I have misperceived others as well, on occasion.  Too bad things had to deteriorate to this level with you and me.  I still and always will appreciate your help and insight and am disappointed by this situation in which you seem unable and unwilling to see my true nature and sincerity.

And yes, I do think I can win the majority of fights with you now, but sadly those victories are hollowed out by my disappointment of your misperceptions of me.  :frown:

<3 nrshida
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:38:45 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
I love you both in a manly way only :old:

The feeling is quite mutual.  :old:
Please offer nrshida his favorite meat pie and tell him I sent it.  :old:
I say the GFC are a great group of manly fighters and much appreciated.  :old:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2013, 07:48:29 AM »

And yes, I do think I can win the majority of fights with you now, but sadly those victories are hollowed out by my disappointment of your misperceptions of me.  :frown:

<3 nrshida

I need to ask this ...purely because ....well, just because ... with this statement above... if 10 different planes from the hanger were to be used one after the other ..... would this still ring true?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:52:22 AM by SPKmes »

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
Midway, maybe there is some part of your personality you are hiding which causes people to get misperceptions of you, if you are genuinely trying to be otherwise.

Because I have to admit, the more I read stuff from you; the more I shudder. Although I can tell from your otherwise apparent consistency that you do not try to mean it.

It could be as simple as accepting that part of yourself would just simply fix the way you present yourself and voila, everyone would see you as you picture yourself  :)

Of course, things never translate instantly, but it could be a start?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 08:10:49 AM »
Midway is awesome and should never change :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
Midway, maybe there is some part of your personality you are hiding which causes people to get misperceptions of you, if you are genuinely trying to be otherwise.

Because I have to admit, the more I read stuff from you; the more I shudder. Although I can tell from your otherwise apparent consistency that you do not try to mean it.

It could be as simple as accepting that part of yourself would just simply fix the way you present yourself and voila, everyone would see you as you picture yourself  :)

Of course, things never translate instantly, but it could be a start?

Likely true, but a good "presenter" of myself I admittedly am not.  I simply am who I am and do get misinterpreted by many, but only get disappointed by a few when that happens. Nrshida being one.  Can't really think of many others where I feel this disappointment, which tells me generally I'm fine with how I present myself not being an expert at it.

I suppose my talking too often is a big part of being misinterpreted.  If I said very little, few would be able to misinterpreted what little I would say. I admit I like to talk and think out loud as much as that irritates some people.

However I do hear from many that they like what I say, most of the time.  :)

...and the back and forth can be fun.   :aok

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »
Midway is awesome and should never change :)

I disagree, I think that for his sake; he would be better off if he wasn't seen as "something" to the community, and just seen as himself. The "village idiot" comment earlier hints towards that.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
I need to ask this ...purely because ....well, just because ... with this statement above... if 10 different planes from the hanger were to be used one after the other ..... would this still ring true?

I don't know but I'll guess with at least half of the 10, yes. Ask Changeup what he thinks... we recently dueled in ponies and jugs.  :D

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2013, 08:35:28 AM »
I disagree, I think that for his sake; he would be better off if he wasn't seen as "something" to the community, and just seen as himself. The "village idiot" comment earlier hints towards that.

Zack is more awesome than me, that is true.  :old:

Myg, I do know that I can be silent, disappear, be the quiet mystery pwner, interact with just a few, be like most people, not say anything controversial like the underlined word, not risk getting misinterpreted, etc... but that would be boring.  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:44:09 AM by Midway »

Offline Myg

• aka Torquila (PNG)
  • Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
Likely true, but a good "presenter" of myself I admittedly am not.  I simply am who I am and do get misinterpreted by many, but only get disappointed by a few when that happens. Nrshida being one.  Can't really think of many others where I feel this disappointment, which tells me generally I'm fine with how I present myself not being an expert at it.

I suppose my talking too often is a big part of being misinterpreted.  If I said very little, few would be able to misinterpreted what little I would say. I admit I like to talk and think out loud as much as that irritates some people.

However I do hear from many that they like what I say, most of the time.  :)

...and the back and forth can be fun.   :aok

Midway, you are stuck in a recursive state of mind. You box yourself in mentally and when you talk you box yourself in more, that is why you recognise talking as your own undoing, yet you have to do it to make other people understand it, which is inherently pointless. I think a good start is to recognise that its not talking that's boxing you in at all, there are plenty of good talkers out there on this forum who do well with it, its how you perceive what your talking does. If you think your talking is your undoing, it will be your undoing because, you will look for and seek your own undoing in it.