Author Topic: skydiving?  (Read 359 times)

Offline thedoom26

• Copper Member
skydiving?
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:33:13 AM »
Has anybody have bin skydiving?!!! im looking into this place , for a 100 bucks they will take you for a jump...Is it fun? or cool? Im quite nervous on doing this :old:
My name is Talin555 and if you get shot down by me, You should slap your self, Because i am not the best at  fighting.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
Re: skydiving?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:45:07 AM »
It's one of the coolest things ever. Jumped out at 14k, went fast, what's not to like?

And you only go for $100? That's a deal!!!

The closest place where I'm at is like $240 :furious
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »
A hundred bucks? Is the parachute included  :neener: Where I fly it costs the equivalent of about $300.

But go for it, the drive to the airport is probably more dangerous. As a skydive pilot, probably over 4000 people have jumped from aircraft I was flying, mostly tandems. Of that I only remember one broken ankle and that was only because he didn't listen to his Instructor.

There is one danger though. You might get hooked and end up spending your life hanging out at DZs with all the other adrenalin junkies. Now that's scary. :O

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
Did 200+ jumps a few years ago before life took twisted turns.

Is it fun? Sure is!

Is it safe? Between somewhat and no. Cpxxx said 'the drive to the airport is probably more dangerous' but to be honest, this is far from true. The level of risk is closer to riding a motorcycle, but that's not enough to rate it, because you can ride like a maniac through heavy traffic, or you can ride responsibly in full gear after having followed riding courses.

Skydiving is the same. As the sport is pretty much self-regulated (as long as you don't cause a plane crash with your antics, FAA (for the US) won't bat an eyelid if you lawndart yourself far from bystanders), you can get away with pretty stupid cheese... until your bucket of luck gets empty before your bucket of experience is filled. If you jump canopies too small (=fast) for your experience level, or get into difficult jumps with lots of people where the required skill is way above your head, or never make the effort to learn the details of how your gear works, chances are good that you'll end up someday with life-changing or even life-ending injuries. If you respect the activity (never forget that you're throwing yourself towards the earth at 130 mph and that you're dead as soon as you leave the plane UNLESS you do something right about it), jump canopies sized for you with a safety factor and mostly be humble about your skills and your abilities), you can be considered a safe skydiver. Just like pilots, old and bold skydivers are very few.

But this is a leisure activity with an inherent risk that will never reach zero: the experienced guys use to say that you'll never be good enough to never risk injury or death, and that you can do everything right in a jump and still die.

That being said, you'll meet tons of interesting people in skydiving, learn a lot about yourself, and lament about the permanent empty state of your wallet  ;). I went for just an AFF jump and signed for the whole course instead. Three weeks later, I was jumping unsupervised and packing my (rented) canopy myself.

Go to www.dropzone.com, register on the forums and read all you can in the 'incidents', 'safety and training' and 'gear and rigging' forums. Don't do like every newbie and ask the same old same questions. Tons of info are there. Read!! But feel free to PM me if you feel the need. It is normal to feel apprehensive about this madness  :lol

I wish you lots of awesome jumps.

Blue Skies...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:06:45 AM by deSelys »
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
Echoing the previous posts. It's a fun but expensive hobby. I started only because of a fantastic deal the club had with the trainers and the pilots. After that, it was just unaffordable for me to keep doing it. Good luck.

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
I have been out of the skydiving loop for 13 years but when you do....get it on video. If it's not on video, it never happened.  :banana:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
I did it a couple of times 20+ years ago.  It was a lot of fun; totally adrenaline-filled.  As soon as I landed I wanted to do it again.  It was awesome.  I have a VHS tape somewhere around here.  

Another fun thing, without that adrenaline rush: Hang Gliding.  Not nearly the same thing as skydiving, but a fantastic experience. :)
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
Definitely worth it... when you do go...make sure to wear your smelliest pair of shoes.... by the time it is over they will have had the smell blown out of them  :D..

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
I have been out of the skydiving loop for 13 years but when you do....get it on video. If it's not on video, it never happened.  :banana:
just so happens I have my jump on DVD and blu-ray :banana:
I'll look for the link :neener:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
I did it once some years ago. Cool stuff.
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »
just so happens I have my jump on DVD and blu-ray :banana:
I'll look for the link :neener:

I made Brian Germain's blooper reel. I found it on YouTube  :rock
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
You should watch this before picking a cheap skydiving place. :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEE2NFPDezM
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:53:36 AM »
Did 200+ jumps a few years ago before life took twisted turns.

Is it fun? Sure is!

Is it safe? Between somewhat and no. Cpxxx said 'the drive to the airport is probably more dangerous' but to be honest, this is far from true. The level of risk is closer to riding a motorcycle, but that's not enough to rate it, because you can ride like a maniac through heavy traffic, or you can ride responsibly in full gear after having followed riding courses.
Well I'm kind of assuming he's going to do a tandem. Which is very safe. Serious accidents are very rare with tandems.

But sure, the sport can be dangerous although most accidents do happen to experienced skydivers jumping with pocket handkerchief sized canopies. In fact a friend of mine broke his ankle only a couple of weeks ago doing something stupid. He got no sympathy. There's a great photo of all us gathered round him smiling with our thumbs up as he lay there waiting for the ambulance with his foot pointing at a funny angle. 

Student solo first jumps can be interesting too. I've seen them end up in a tree, land on the hangar roof and take out the windsock on the airfield. The worst one was a first solo jump, a French girl who exited badly got twists and spiralled down to the point where I was looking away expecting her to die. She was well below 500 feet when she finally went for the reserve. Actually it was very similar to that Fandango clip. When I did a solo jump back in 1980, that's the gear I wore without the laundry.

But tandems are definitely very safe. Accidents are exceptionally rare.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 05:14:23 AM »
dont forget your washing....

CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »
....and try not to do an accuracy landing on on airplane. I saw that once about 13 years ago while we were loading He tried to land on a feathered prop...Missed it by <                                > that much!