Author Topic: Arena Fuel Burn Rates..  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Arena Fuel Burn Rates..
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
Unless already at altitude, I think its physically impossible for you to catch a B-29 who is already at altitude and speed. Starting from sea level, you would run out of fuel before you caught up with them. Thus, the 110 is not a good interceptor.

Nor is the 410, for similar reasons. Same with the Mossie.

Now a Yak is a bit better in the actual interception area, but is severely lacking when it comes to actually attacking the bombers. Given that you only have 120 rounds of 20mm ammunition, you will have to have a very high level of accuracy, and attack the most vulnerable parts of the bombers. Even then, you will have to RTB for ammunition after one intercept. Range is also something of an issue.

Thus the yak is not a good interceptor.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:01:30 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
"The map scale compared to the real deal is the fish that is on the way to **SLAP** you alongside your head."
Smokinloon, confusing words, but I think thats EXACTLY the point. No where on the map would be 'safe.'
Consider Berlin's point of view when p47's and mustangs started showing up with the bombers: excitement!
No more 'boring about it' <--- vulching nearest base is boring!
We don't want to be:
Aces LOW: vulch, ack, ram, and ho! Do or die, aces? NEIN!  <-- fuel burn 1x would give more to do than 'vulch' or 'hide in ack' or 'ram' or 'ho.'
We want to be ACES HIGH!!! <-- requires fuelburn 1x!!!I would ask HTC to take out the 'kills per time part of the score calculator because long flights.'  

As is:
Fly to next door enemy base, and you can arrive at about 10k with 75% fuel left. Fly to a base one more deep and you barely make it back.
Yeah the drop tank, that thing porks your plane even after its dropped. The mount is still there, and you're at 100% fuel, good luck vs a Brewster!
And for a mission, it's like pulling teeth trying to get a pilot to put a drop tank.

FSO is the single most populated time of the game. Fuel burn 1x makes all day everyday like FSO... without stupid changes to icon stuff,
and without someone saying "Detune 200 please" :rofl
Everyone and Everyone else shows up on FSO nights!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:59:33 PM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Unless already at altitude, I think its physically impossible for you to catch a B-29 who is already at altitude and speed. Starting from sea level, you would run out of fuel before you caught up with them.
You predict the target and take off well ahead of the bomber with the intention of merging positions.  The problem with icepak's claims is that in the aircraft he brags about using for it is that there is little or no margin of error to be had in your intercept flight plan or in guessing the target.  If you make a mistake you'll never make up for it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 03:07:20 PM »
"The map scale compared to the real deal is the fish that is on the way to **SLAP** you alongside your head."
Smokinloon, confusing words, but I think thats EXACTLY the point. No where on the map would be 'safe.'
Consider Berlin's point of view when p47's and mustangs started showing up with the bombers: excitement!
No more 'boring about it' <--- vulching nearest base is boring!
We don't want to be:
Aces LOW: vulch, ack, ram, and ho! Do or die, aces? NEIN!  <-- fuel burn 1x would give more to do than 'vulch' or 'hide in ack' or 'ram' or 'ho.'
We want to be ACES HIGH!!! <-- requires fuelburn 1x!!!I would ask HTC to take out the 'kills per time part of the score calculator because long flights.'  

As is:
Fly to next door enemy base, and you can arrive at about 10k with 75% fuel left. Fly to a base one more deep and you barely make it back.
Yeah the drop tank, that thing porks your plane even after its dropped. The mount is still there, and you're at 100% fuel, good luck vs a Brewster!
And for a mission, it's like pulling teeth trying to get a pilot to put a drop tank.

FSO is the single most populated time of the game. Fuel burn 1x makes all day everyday like FSO... without stupid changes to icon stuff,
and without someone saying "Detune 200 please" :rofl
Everyone and Everyone else shows up on FSO nights!
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
You predict the target and take off well ahead of the bomber with the intention of merging positions.  The problem with icepak's claims is that in the aircraft he brags about using for it is that there is little or no margin of error to be had in your intercept flight plan or in guessing the target.  If you make a mistake you'll never make up for it.

Its gonna take something around 30 minutes to reach 30K, and the 110 only has 38 minutes full internal. Strap on DT's, and he's gonna climb even slower,   although with an extra 17 minutes of flight time. However, hes going to be slow upon arriving at altitude, and will accelerate like crap. I'd guess around 8-10 minutes before he reaches full speed. And then he has to catch the bombers, leaving only around 5-7 minutes to set up, and shoot down all three bombers, assuming he plotted the course PERFECTLY.

I don't doubt that you can intercept bombers in the 110, just not do so with 30+K bombers more than 1 time out of even 50 attempts.

And it might very will be 100% impossible to intercept them even 5K higher up.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
Just ask the guys I shot down in the last few days instead of more guessing.

In the 110g, I arrive at 30k with usually between 50 and 59 minutes of fuel remaining.

This is usually with two rockets and I rarely take the extra cannon pod but I will not up with rockets if I intend to run down a B29.

I drain the drop tanks 1 at a time and drop them right away when empty.

In the yak, I usually arrive at 35.5k with around 58 minutes fuel remaining.

In the mossie VI, I arrive at 38k with around 95 minutes of fuel remaining without taking drop tanks.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:14:56 PM by icepac »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
Again, nobody is claiming you don't do it.  You have put a lot of effort into learning to plot those interceptions using less than ideal aircraft for the job.

Your exaggeration isn't in claiming that you do it.  You exaggerate how easy it is.  The vast majority of players will fail to intercept any perk bomber with a Bf110G-2, Me410 or Yak-9U.  You're good at it, kudos, but it isn't easy.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
I never said it was easy for you or others.....just easy for me.....much like tanking enemy strats or downing enemy hq a few times week regardless of the map or terrain features..........or getting tank on tank kills at our own strats while the rest of my countrymen are simply taking the easy way out and using planes to bomb the enemy GVs.

I enjoy a full and wide ranging experience in aces high and have barely scratched the surface of what the sim offers while some here are limiting thier gaming experience by flying the same mission profiles over and over.

I like the 2.0 fuel burn in the arenas.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:21:41 PM by icepac »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

I checked your stats, you have 3 kills on B-29's for the month of June, killing 1 of 1Wildcat's and 2 of 0Whiskey's. Notice you failed to shoot down a set of three bombers in both cases.

1Wildcat also killed you in your 110, which would indicate that he was in a set of three, and continued on his merry way after wasting your exaggerating arse.

You killed 2 of 0Whiskey's bombers, but were not killed by 0Whiskey. 0Whiskey only has 2 deaths in a B-29 for the same tour. Therefore, you ran out of fuel while engaging.

Neither of these examples is proving your point.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:22:05 PM by Tank-Ace »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 03:23:21 PM »
Its gonna take something around 30 minutes to reach 30K, and the 110 only has 38 minutes full internal. Strap on DT's, and he's gonna climb even slower,   although with an extra 17 minutes of flight time. However, hes going to be slow upon arriving at altitude, and will accelerate like crap. I'd guess around 8-10 minutes before he reaches full speed. And then he has to catch the bombers, leaving only around 5-7 minutes to set up, and shoot down all three bombers, assuming he plotted the course PERFECTLY.

I don't doubt that you can intercept bombers in the 110, just not do so with 30+K bombers more than 1 time out of even 50 attempts.

And it might very will be 100% impossible to intercept them even 5K higher up.

You seem to forget that the GPH are reduced considerably as you climb,doesnt surprize me though as you haven't had an account for a couple of years,but I digress.

If you have,as you say 38 mins internal,I'll wager that by the time you climb to 30 k you'll have no less than 30mins of flight time when you get to alt,and that's if you use full mil power to climb.

If you carry DT's you'll loose about 200 to 400 fpm in climb,not speed,that if you use auto climp or auto speed as it's called ingame. You will loose about 4 mph after you drop the tanks verses a "clean config" in level flight but if that makes a difference you might consider spending more time practicing.

Of course you'd need to actually play the game to know this.

:salute

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
LOL.....tank ace made no point at all.

I successfully intercepted and shot down B29s at 30,000 feet this tour with a 110.

Are you even flying this sim?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:26:48 PM by icepac »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »

You seem to forget that the GPH are reduced considerably as you climb,doesnt surprize me though as you haven't had an account for a couple of years,but I digress.

If you have,as you say 38 mins internal,I'll wager that by the time you climb to 30 k you'll have no less than 30mins of flight time when you get to alt,and that's if you use full mil power to climb.

If you carry DT's you'll loose about 200 to 400 fpm in climb,not speed,that if you use auto climp or auto speed as it's called ingame. You will loose about 4 mph after you drop the tanks verses a "clean config" in level flight but if that makes a difference you might consider spending more time practicing.

Of course you'd need to actually play the game to know this.

I do play, I have sortie logged this tour.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
LOL.....tank ace made no point at all.

I successfully intercepted and shot down B29s at 30,000 feet this tour with a 110.

Are you even flying this sim?

Oh, I think my point went to the same place most of the bombers go.... over your head.

You claim its easy to intercept perk bombers, of which the B-29 is the slowest. By the simple fact that you have failed to prevent either set you intercepted from reaching target, and that you have 0 kills of either the Ar 234 or the Mossie XVI, its evident that intercepting these planes is not "easy" in a 110. Either that, or you're just incompetent.

Hell, you would only have one pass at either of the other bombers, since you couldn't fly fast enough to make two.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »
I never said it was easy for you or others.....just easy for me.
More personal insults...

You consistently talk about how easy it is, always portraying it as generically easy, never saying you find it easy.  The language you use is intended to be insulting rather than showing you understand that you have learned to do a hard task.  Your posts on the subject consistently carry the air of "This is easy and if you can't do it easily then you suck."

I understand the task and how to do it, and, while not nearly as good as you, I can do it with a reasonable expectation of success.  I also know how few of us there are who are a threat because I see how many "take off as the Mossie passes overhead and try to climb up and chase it down" intercept attempts there are compared to thought out and planned intercepts.

I have lost three Mosquito Mk XVI's.

The first was to an Me163 after I bombed the strats on a small map in which they were next to the HQ.  As we both know the Me163 doesn't require much planning or thought.

The second was amusing as it involved both an unplanned, unskilled attempt by and Me262 and a planned tactic by a Ta152H-1.  I was again going for the strats, but it was a large map and I had to fly about 200 miles into enemy territory.  The Me262 gradually climbed towards my 28,000ft height with no chance to stop my from hitting my target.  I saw the dar bar of the Ta152 well ahead of getting there, but chose to press on regardless.  After dropping my 'cookie' I began to climb away from the Me262 and the Ta152, still just a dot a bit above my altitude began to close.  I was at about 33,000ft when the Ta152 finally forced me to aggressively maneuver, the Me262 never had a shot on me until after I was engaged with the Ta152.  I fought both down to the deck before the Ta152 managed to get me.

The third was yet another strat run, this time about 100 miles into enemy territory.  A Bf109K-4 arrived co-alt over the target about the same time I did.  After dropping my bomb I made a run for it using shallow dives and WEP to extend my level speed after the shallow dives.  He eventually got me when I was about 20 miles out to sea.  I chatted with him after because I was curious how close I came to escaping to which he said he ran out of fuel 1 minute after shooting me down.  He hadn't been there to intercept me, he'd been there to try to intercept an earlier Lancaster raid that was gone by the time he got there.

So, three losses and only one was to a planned interception and even that didn't stop my bomb from hitting its target.  I have seen a great many other interception attempts on me that came nowhere near success.

On topic, can you explain the more than an hour at more than 400mph claim for the Mk XIV?
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
I do play, I have sortie logged this tour.

Ok my mistake!  I'll no longer mention where you play or not but I'm still gonna call you on any BS!!