Author Topic: What will the perk cost be for this tank?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: What will the perk cost be for this tank?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 06:19:06 PM »
Anyone else love how pessimistic Butcher is? I wonder if he does that so he always gets better than he expected  :neener:.

That would be dilusion, not pessimism. :neener:
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Interesting, so it's a panther with a bigger gun and faster rate of fire (and only 22 degrees to aim the gun with)....

Last question, what optics/sight was it standardly equiped with (same as used on the King Tiger)?  

In the absence of information on main gun rate of fire and optics, I would assume them to be similar to the Tiger II, since it's the same gun.  Tiger II fires much slower than Panther.

MH

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »
None of the Jagdpanzers had think about going in to the fray alone.  All it is going to take is a M18 or T34/76 to flank and it is game over for any of the three new "hunting tanks".  If the tank destroyers turn to follow the flanker then their weak armor is rather exposed to the front.

I'm think this whole "tank destroyer" thing will awaken the Firefly a bit.  After all it is a designated TD, it has the 2nd best AP ability in the game, turret traverse, and plenty of ammo.  FWIW, I don't think the Hetzer or Jagdpanzer IV will have a perk price, they are actually limited compared to the Panzer Mk IV H with exception to the frontal armor.  The only thing I'm not sure about on the Jadgpanzer IV is which main gun sight it used, I have two printed sources showing two different sights. If it has the same sight as the Panzer IV H then I'm guessing it will be higher on the ENY chart (meaing "less" capable).

Time will tell.  Though, I don't look for any major shift in the ground game experience.  The M18 brought in the last expansion of tactics thanks to its high speed and powerful main gun.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
Good point; I didn't think of that first one - dead meat if spawn camped. 

Additionally, I would think they will be easier to kill from the air, due to relatively thinner side armor, and lesser AA capability.  (As we all know, in-game it is quite possible for a turreted tank to hit a plane which comes straight in at a low angle, which about half of them do).  The new TDs will also not be able to shoot effectively on the move, or fight at close quarters.  Since I get most of my kills using lower-velocity guns against targets shot at from the side, the lack of a turret will make such attacks much safer for me, even if their engine is on (in which case they won't hear me).  Also, they won’t in general be able to fire when hull-down, and the gun depression may not allow them to go even partially hull-down, meaning that the entire vehicle will need to be exposed.

I think you have some basic misconceptions about how these tanks will be used (unless the AH population is dumber than I think). Close-quarters combat will not be what these will want to do, and frankly you can't really force that sort of thing. They won't want to run n' gun. They won't be trying to go hull down.

I can almost guarantee that these things will be found underneath of trees more often than they'll be next to hills. Especially with the Hetzer, I'm going to be very leery of crossing in front of an undestroyed barn. You'll never know if there's one hiding in there, and you can only make an educated guess as to which direction his gun is facing.

Jagdpanther
Basically what we'll be seeing is something in between the play style for the Tiger I and Tiger II. Limited forays to the front of the line, but primarily long-ranged sniping from the rear; and this would not only be the prudent thing to do for your perks, but also for the effectiveness of the vehicle. A Jagdpanther that hangs back, and takes out 13 vehicles is more effective than the one that gets up close to kill a Tiger II, but then gets killed by an M18.

Jagdpanzer IV
About what you see from Panthers on the defensive right now. They'll up, scoot to a good spot well back of the line, and piss you off with their nice flat-shooting cannon.

Hetzer

Stealty Panzer IV.

I’d say:
Jagdpanther:  Perked as Panther (better gun, but everything else worse). 
Jagdpanzer IV:  As Panzer IVH (ditto).
Hetzer:  As Panzer IVF (ditto).

MH

Dude, even the M4(76) carries a perk price, and its all of 2mph faster than the Panzer IV H, has an inferior gun, arguably inferior optics, side and rear armor roughly on par, taller profile. Its only real advantages are the improved turret armor, the .50 cal, and the ROF of its gun. But still that was enough to earn it a perk price.

But you think a vehicle that does 29mph, has 139mm LOS thickness on the hull front, and carries an 88mm L/71 will be only 17 perks?

The Jagdpanzer IV you may perhaps be in the ballpark, MAYBE, but thats only because the Firefly is perked so low. I'd say ENY 10 at best, if not a 1-2 perk price.

Hetzer has 120mm at line of sight thickness on the front hull. Its going to be bouncier than anything this side of the Panther, just because its so heavily angled. Its also a bit smaller than an M3, and carries a good gun. Probably going to be where the Panzer IV H is.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:36:03 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »
 FWIW, I don't think the Hetzer or Jagdpanzer IV will have a perk price, they are actually limited compared to the Panzer Mk IV H with exception to the frontal armor.  

I think the main real life advantages of the Hetzer in particular do not come that much into play in AH. The small hull was easily concealable, here in AH there is not really such a thing, especially as our terrain has less features and it's not as easy to "blend in".  It has only 20mm of side and ~10mm of top armor, so about anything flanking a Hetzer will have a field day, and the Hetzer will be extremely vulnerable to airplanes.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »
I think you have some basic misconceptions about how these tanks will be used (unless the AH population is dumber than I think). Close-quarters combat will not be what these will want to do, and frankly you can't really force that sort of thing. They won't want to run n' gun. They won't be trying to go hull down.

I can almost guarantee that these things will be found underneath of trees more often than they'll be next to hills. Especially with the Hetzer, I'm going to be very leery of crossing in front of an undestroyed barn. You'll never know if there's one hiding in there, and you can only make an educated guess as to which direction his gun is facing.

<snip>

Basically what we'll be seeing is something in between the play style for the Tiger I and Tiger II. Limited forays to the front of the line, but primarily long-ranged sniping from the rear; and this would not only be the prudent thing to do for your perks, but also for the effectiveness of the vehicle. A Jagdpanther that hangs back, and takes out 13 vehicles is more effective than the one that gets up close to kill a Tiger II, but then gets killed by an M18.

<snip>

About what you see from Panthers on the defensive right now. They'll up, scoot to a good spot well back of the line, and piss you off with their nice flat-shooting cannon.

<snip>

Dude, even the M4(76) carries a perk price, and its all of 2mph faster than the Panzer IV H, has an inferior gun, arguably inferior optics, side and rear armor roughly on par, taller profile. Its only real advantages are the improved turret armor, the .50 cal, and the ROF of its gun. But still that was enough to earn it a perk price.

But you think a vehicle that does 29mph, has 139mm LOS thickness on the hull front, and carries an 88mm L/71 will be only 17 perks?

The Jagdpanzer IV you may perhaps be in the ballpark, MAYBE, but thats only because the Firefly is perked so low. I'd say ENY 10 at best, if not a 1-2 perk price.

Hetzer has 120mm at line of sight thickness on the front hull. Its going to be bouncier than anything this side of the Panther, just because its so heavily angled. Its also a bit smaller than an M3, and carries a good gun. Probably going to be where the Panzer IV H is.

Tank Ace, I have every respect for your opinions in general, but have you played the GV game recently?  I’m not saying the AH population is “dumb” (they’re not), but it’s just a game, and many GV players just want action.   Furthermore, I think these TDs will need to be used in most normal environments (or what’s the point of HTC spending the resources on them), and will therefore need to be perked (or not) appropriately to their many disadvantages.  

Note that close-quarter combat is forced on you when the opposition advances.  A turret-less TD will have great difficulty in dealing with this.  Once the enemy gets close and starts to move around the flanks, it either has to rotate to face or retreat.  When retreating the gun of course faces in the wrong direction and the side/rear armor is typically not any better than an equivalent tank.  The stronger front armor of course is not too useful in this situation.

Furthermore, hiding “underneath of trees” is a very bad tactic to use against opposing GVs (only good against AC or GVs on high mountains).  Given the shape of AH trees, your TC is up in the foliage blinded, while most of your vehicle is visible below the foliage.  Easy kill.  

As far as passing near terrain features such as barns, a turreted tank will be at least as dangerous as a turret-less TD.  The typical attack where one moves up to the barn, and then moves to one side or the other at the last minute will be more difficult to counter by the TD.  Plus if the TD misses the first shot, he is screwed, whereas the attacking tank will be tracking with the turret.  

With respect to the possible perk cost of the Jagdpanther, per my previous post, it appears to have similar armor to the Panther.  You are (over) quoting the mantlet thickness, which is only a small proportion of the frontal area.  The upper hull plate is 80mm at 35 degrees from the horizontal, like the Panther, and the lower hull plate is thinner but more sloped, assuming my Bellona pamphlet is correct.  Yes it has Panther speed and a bigger gun, but everything else, as I mentioned previously, is against it.  All that other stuff, tactically, is significant, as you should know if you still play.  

MH
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:33:24 PM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
None of the Jagdpanzers had think about going in to the fray alone.  All it is going to take is a M18 or T34/76 to flank and it is game over for any of the three new "hunting tanks".  If the tank destroyers turn to follow the flanker then their weak armor is rather exposed to the front.

I'm think this whole "tank destroyer" thing will awaken the Firefly a bit.  After all it is a designated TD, it has the 2nd best AP ability in the game, turret traverse, and plenty of ammo.  FWIW, I don't think the Hetzer or Jagdpanzer IV will have a perk price, they are actually limited compared to the Panzer Mk IV H with exception to the frontal armor.  The only thing I'm not sure about on the Jadgpanzer IV is which main gun sight it used, I have two printed sources showing two different sights. If it has the same sight as the Panzer IV H then I'm guessing it will be higher on the ENY chart (meaing "less" capable).

Time will tell.  Though, I don't look for any major shift in the ground game experience.  The M18 brought in the last expansion of tactics thanks to its high speed and powerful main gun.

I just bought a book from Amazon called "Panzer Gunner”, which may interest you.  It is written by a Canadian who as a teenager was dragged over to Germany just before the war by his naïve parents, and was drafted into the Panzer arm.  Much of his service was in the Jadgpanzer IV, and the book appears to contain a lot of low level detail on gunnery.  Haven't read it yet, but skimming through the JagdpanzerIV section mentions the gunners telescopic sight as being "SfLZF".  

MH
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:28:31 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »
I think the main real life advantages of the Hetzer in particular do not come that much into play in AH. The small hull was easily concealable, here in AH there is not really such a thing, especially as our terrain has less features and it's not as easy to "blend in".  It has only 20mm of side and ~10mm of top armor, so about anything flanking a Hetzer will have a field day, and the Hetzer will be extremely vulnerable to airplanes.

Even a .50 can penetrate 10mm of armor. That's one thing that does not appear to be modeled is how a .50 round can defeat a tank by knocking out its gun, which even in the 85mm gun package could be penetrated by a .50 round. Hard to hit by an aircraft, but never the less possible.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
I just bought a book from Amazon called "Panzer Gunner”, which may interest you.  It is written by a Canadian who as a teenager was dragged over to Germany just before the war by his naïve parents, and was drafted into the Panzer arm.  Much of his service was in the Jadgpanzer IV L/70, and the book appears to contain a lot of low level detail on gunnery.  Haven't read it yet, but skimming through the JagdpanzerIV section mentions the gunners telescopic sight as being "SfLZF".  
MH

Ah nice.  If that is the case then the Jagdpanzer IV/70 will have a straight 5X with an °8 degree field of view.  That will be interesting, it will have just over half of the field of view compared to the Panther and only °10 to left and right to traverse the gun.  Also, keep in mind the Panzer IV did not have the ability to pivot in place.  The Jagdpanzer IV will have to move "forward" with one track or the other in order to turn the gun further than °10.  It is a sitting suck if it out there alone and the enemy is numerous and fast moving.  Its only hope is to maximize its optics (5X) and killing power and get the horde before it is able to get "around the gun".

Jadgpanzer IV/70-
Main Gun: 75mm Stu.K.42 L/70
Gunsight: Sfl.ZF 1a / Rblf 36
Magnification: 5x magnification / 8° Field of View
Traverse: 20° (Manual)
Elevation: +15° / -5°
Main Gun Ammo:   55

Also, just for comparisons sake:

Hetzer-
Main Gun: 75mm PaK 39 L/48
Gunsight: Sfl.ZF 1a / Rblf 36
Magnification: 5x magnification / 8° Field of View
Traverse: 5° Left & 11° Right (Hand)
Elevation: +12° / -6°
Main Gun Ammo: 41

Jagdpanther-
Main Gun: 88mm Kw.K.43 L / 71
Gunsight: WZF 1/4
Magnification: 10x magnification / 7° Field of View  [yes, you read correct, a 10x]
Traverse: 26° (Manual)
Elevation: +14° / -8°
Main Gun Ammo: 57

Of the three, only the Jagdpanther has the ability to pivot in place.  The Hetzer and Jagdpanzer IV/70 will have to creep forward/backwards while turning.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:51:46 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »
I'm not a tanker...I've never been able to survive in a tank against other tanks unless I spend an hour creeping 100 yards, stopping every yard, and scanning everything on full zoom. Then I still get nailed by someone hiding just behind a berm 3k or so away.

Oh, good. I thought I was the only one.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
Tank Ace, I have every respect for your opinions in general, but have you played the GV game recently?
I think we killed each other a few times yesterday, actually.

I’m not saying the AH population is “dumb” (they’re not), but it’s just a game, and many GV players just want action.   Furthermore, I think these TDs will need to be used in most normal environments (or what’s the point of HTC spending the resources on them), and will therefore need to be perked (or not) appropriately to their many disadvantages.

I personally could use them even in a spawn battle, just because I know how to use them effectively. It's not so much different fights, but different tactics. Luckily, my personal defensive tactics closely resembles those for TDs.

Note that close-quarter combat is forced on you when the opposition advances.  A turret-less TD will have great difficulty in dealing with this.  Once the enemy gets close and starts to move around the flanks, it either has to rotate to face or retreat.  When retreating the gun of course faces in the wrong direction and the side/rear armor is typically not any better than an equivalent tank.  The stronger front armor of course is not too useful in this situation.
Well, it is if you develop tunnel vision. I've been able to keep the fight long ranged in a Tiger, because I held a spot until I couldn't, then withdrew, but left myself enough time to make it to the next burn: I always have at least a tertiary firing position picked out.

Furthermore, hiding “underneath of trees” is a very bad tactic to use against opposing GVs (only good against AC or GVs on high mountains).  Given the shape of AH trees, your TC is up in the foliage blinded, while most of your vehicle is visible below the foliage.  Easy kill.  

Let me rephrase; way back under the trees, at least in the maps where there are dense thickets. And in a TD, your commander will be at about gun level on a tank, if not even lower. In other words, below the branches.

As far as passing near terrain features such as barns, a turreted tank will be at least as dangerous as a turret-less TD.  The typical attack where one moves up to the barn, and then moves to one side or the other at the last minute will be more difficult to counter by the TD.  Plus if the TD misses the first shot, he is screwed, whereas the attacking tank will be tracking with the turret.

You misunderstand me. I'm talking about hiding I inside of the undestroyed barns. Only 5 vehicles can do this at present, IIRC. In this position, you are only able to be shot through the doors, and now where else.

With respect to the possible perk cost of the Jagdpanther, per my previous post, it appears to have similar armor to the Panther.  You are (over) quoting the mantlet thickness, which is only a small proportion of the frontal area.  The upper hull plate is 80mm at 35 degrees from the horizontal, like the Panther, and the lower hull plate is thinner but more sloped, assuming my Bellona pamphlet is correct.  Yes it has Panther speed and a bigger gun, but everything else, as I mentioned previously, is against it.  All that other stuff, tactically, is significant, as you should know if you still play.

MH

Nominal thickness of 80mm, line of sight thickness of 139mm. Bear in mind that at 30° slope from horizontal, the LOS thickness is double the nominal thickness, and the Panther is at 35°.

The top issues afflicting the Jagdpanther will be field of view, ROF, and limited traverse, in descending importance.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 02:17:15 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what is your in-game handle, such that one could find it in the stats page?

I personally could use them even in a spawn battle, just because I know how to use them effectively. It's not so much different fights, but different tactics. Luckily, my personal defensive tactics closely resembles those for TDs.

It depends on the intensity of the spawn camp, of course.  However, I was referring to the intense/bad kind, where you can’t just drive away.  In such a spawn camp, you expect to die, but want to get one of them first, thus reducing their numbers for the next spawn.  Eventually you hope to have them thinned out enough so you can drive away from the spawn and engage from a position of equality.   So in this case, with a turret, you can rotate both the hull and the turret to get off the shot quicker.  In contrast, a TD will only be able to rotate the hull, leading to slower on-target time, which is a big disadvantage.  My argument is that this difference is one of many factors which should reduce the TD in-game cost relative to an equivalent tank with the same chassis.  

Well, it is if you develop tunnel vision. I've been able to keep the fight long ranged in a Tiger, because I held a spot until I couldn't, then withdrew, but left myself enough time to make it to the next burn: I always have at least a tertiary firing position picked out.

You don’t always have the option to stay 2-3k in the rear, as in many terrains you can’t see anything back there.  So, unless you are on a flat plain or a mountain, and sometimes even then, there will usually be covered avenues of approach which they can use to get on your flanks.  Once they do this, the TD disadvantages I mentioned will apply.  Again, my argument is that this lesser situational capability should lead to lesser in-game cost for the turret-less TDs.  I am not saying that the new TDs will always be completely useless, but that they will be inherently disadvantaged except for larger guns, and the cost should reflect this (hammering away at this point as you see). Thus, Jagdpanther should perhaps cost the same as Panther, JPzr IV no more than Panzer IVH, and Hetzer no more than Panzer IVF.   

Let me rephrase; way back under the trees, at least in the maps where there are dense thickets. And in a TD, your commander will be at about gun level on a tank, if not even lower. In other words, below the branches.

I doubt the new TDs will be any lower than our current M3 TD (75 mm), and the M3 commander’s head is still in the branches.  In particular, a Jagdpanther is much higher than the M3.  Thus this shouldn’t be an excuse to increase the cost.  

You misunderstand me. I'm talking about hiding I inside of the undestroyed barns. Only 5 vehicles can do this at present, IIRC. In this position, you are only able to be shot through the doors, and now where else.

I suppose the Hetzer may fit through the barn door (probably not though), but the Jagdpanther and Jagdpanzer IV won’t as both are the same width as the corresponding tanks, which are much too wide.  

Nominal thickness of 80mm, line of sight thickness of 139mm. Bear in mind that at 30° slope from horizontal, the LOS thickness is double the nominal thickness, and the Panther is at 35°.

It’s 35 degrees, not 30 degrees.  Again, the Jagdpanther’s armor is essentially the same as the Panther’s, and thus shouldn’t be an excuse to increase the cost.  

The top issues afflicting the Jagdpanther will be field of view, ROF, and limited traverse, in descending importance.

Plus lack of a turret, lack of AA capability, and all the tactical limitations which result from these, as I mentioned in my previous posts.  

MH
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:22:38 AM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 02:20:01 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what is your in-game handle, such that one could find it in the stats page?

It depends on the intensity of the spawn camp, of course.  However, I was referring to the intense/bad kind, where you can’t just drive away.  In such a spawn camp, you expect to die, but want to get one of them first, thus reducing their numbers for the next spawn.  Eventually you hope to have them thinned out enough so you can drive away from the spawn and engage from a position of equality.   So in this case, with a turret, you can rotate both the hull and the turret to get off the shot quicker.  In contrast, a TD will only be able to rotate the hull, leading to slower on-target time, which is a big disadvantage.  My argument is that this difference is one of many factors which should reduce the TD in-game cost relative to an equivalent tank with the same chassis.  

You don’t always have the option to stay 2-3k in the rear, as in many terrains you can’t see anything back there.  So, unless you are on a flat plain or a mountain, and sometimes even then, there will usually be covered avenues of approach which they can use to get on your flanks.  Once they do this, the TD disadvantages I mentioned will apply.  Again, my argument is that this lesser situational capability should lead to lesser in-game cost for the turret-less TDs.  I am not saying that the new TDs will always be completely useless, but that they will be inherently disadvantaged except for larger guns, and the cost should reflect this (hammering away at this point as you see).  

I doubt the new TDs will be any lower than our current M3 TD (75 mm), and the M3 commander’s head is still in the branches.  In particular, a Jagdpanther is much higher than the M3.  Thus this shouldn’t be an excuse to increase the cost.  

Since the Panzer can squeeze throught the barn door (I just tried it offline), I assume that the Hetzer and the JPzr IV will also.  However, the Panther hull is much wider, and I doubt that Jagdpanther will fit.  IMHO, hiding in barns is a mixed blessing, as you can't see them, but you yourself may have been seen and reported (usually by aircraft).  Thus, I don't think this is much of an argument for increased in-game cost.  

It’s 35 degrees, not 30 degrees.  Again, the Jagdpanther’s armor is essentially the same as the Panther’s, and thus shouldn’t be an excuse to increase the cost.  

Plus lack of a turret, lack of AA capability, smaller ammunition load, and all the tactical limitations which result from these, as I mentioned in my previous posts.  

MH
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:40:11 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
Double post  double fun :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »

Jager

So because it can't survive a camp as effectively, it should be considered inferior it combat?

A Tiger II has about the same odds of survival as a Panzer IV under those circumstances, and possibly a lesser chance at killing something due to the traverse rate. Your point is rather irrelevant, I'm afraid.

You don’t always have the option to stay 2-3k in the rear, as in many terrains you can’t see anything back there.  So, unless you are on a flat plain or a mountain, and sometimes even then, there will usually be covered avenues of approach which they can use to get on your flanks.  Once they do this, the TD disadvantages I mentioned will apply.  Again, my argument is that this lesser situational capability should lead to lesser in-game cost for the turret-less TDs.  I am not saying that the new TDs will always be completely useless, but that they will be inherently disadvantaged except for larger guns, and the cost should reflect this (hammering away at this point as you see).
Disadvantaged in some areas, advantaged in others. But to think that any reduction in cost will be to the point where we have cheap '88mm L/71 is delusional.

The Hetzer is lower than the M3, but slightly wider (like 3 inches, IIRC), and about the same length. Jagdpanzer IV slightly larger, and the Jagdpanther a bit larger than that.

But the size advantage is mostly to the Hetzer.

Since the Panzer can squeeze throught the barn door (I just tried it offline), I assume that the Hetzer and the JPzr IV will also.  However, the Panther hull is much wider, and I doubt that Jagdpanther will fit.  IMHO, hiding in barns is a mixed blessing, as you can't see them, but you yourself may have been seen and reported (usually by aircraft).  Thus, I don't think this is much of an argument for increased in-game cost.

Alone it's not, at least under the context of conventional use.

Plus lack of a turret, lack of AA capability, smaller ammunition load, and all the tactical limitations which result from these, as I mentioned in my previous posts.  

MH

I don't think the turret will be a huge issue, used properly.  And anything less than a .50, and you might as well just flip the enemy off. It typically does the same amount of good.

The ammunition load is a valid concern.