Author Topic: I'm so flying that Yak!!!!  (Read 8139 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: I'm so flying that Yak!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Do not fully comprehend. Yak-3 what so special about it? Its nothing more than an inferior Yak-9U

As far as I know, the Yak-3 is faster, a better climber and has a much better power/weight ratio = acceleration.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
Wait a second, I thought yaks didn't have control sticks!

Can't wait, thanks HTC!
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
Thank god they added the Yak-7 as well, or this update would have been delayed for nothing.

The Yak-3 is a great addition to the plane set and it's about time we got it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »
Any new plane additions (or expanding the model lineup) are a good thing.  Stagnation would be a bad thing.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »
And this Yak is as good as a K4? If that's true, this is going to suck for me.  :confused: :cry
Lighten up Francis

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Very nice to see the new Yaks.  As noted on the front page the Yak-7 ought to be quite useful in scenarios and the Yak-3 should be a fun and potent fighter for the MAs as well as bringing more depth to late war East Front scenarios.  Like others I am still hopping for a Yak-1 as well.  The Yak-3 was a derivative of the Yak-1 and the Yak-9s were derivatives of the larger Yak-7.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
And this Yak is as good as a K4? If that's true, this is going to suck for me.  :confused: :cry
Don't turn fight with it.  The Yak-3 with the Yak-9U's VK-107 engined didn't enter service until after the war so the Yak-3 will be using the VK-105 engine that the Yak-9T has.  It just gets Yak-9U level performance out of it because it is smaller.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
from everything i've been able to find, if the version being introduced isn't the -vk107a or something like that from early 1945, the speed should start dropping off between 12-13,000 feet. it should be more maneuverable than any of the 109 g or k models, as well as the 190s.

wait, Karnak...are you sure the vk107a didn't go into production until after the war? the yak pages says about 2-300 were produced by the end of the war.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
That doesn't sound like a K4 then if the performance is going to drop off at 13K. Possibly more like a LA ya think? But anyway I'm glad to see a new plane nonetheless.
Lighten up Francis

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
Finally!!

Over the years since the better cockpit updates my wife has looked over my shoulder and asked:

Honey why are you paying to play that game when Aces High's graphics are so much better? Why don't you save some money and only play the better looking game?

Some day Hitech is gonna do the right thing with the other graphics. But, today, Thank you Hitech and Company...... :D

Waystin why did a cragganmore rep call me last month to see how "OUR" Cragganmore Yak Ranch in Texas was doing? I thought I gave you my credit card number to help get your scented Yak butter candle business going in Miami. The rep wanted to know if the Yak's were enjoying that last shipment of scotch since you discovered how to make kobe beef with Yak and scotch.

Check my question below this picture...........

I thought these engine mounted ShVAK had a big manual backup pull cocker between the pilots feet as a backup for the pneumatic cocker?

From the 1945 Yak3 manual, a manual backup ShVAK cocker. You won't see this in the cockpit photos from museums because the ShVAK will be demilitarized and the cocking mechanisms will be removed. I understand the why of no rear view mirror. Can we at least get the manual cocker in our ShVAK motor cannons? You put them in the Lavochkins.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »
from everything i've been able to find, if the version being introduced isn't the -vk107a or something like that from early 1945, the speed should start dropping off between 12-13,000 feet. it should be more maneuverable than any of the 109 g or k models, as well as the 190s.

wait, Karnak...are you sure the vk107a didn't go into production until after the war? the yak pages says about 2-300 were produced by the end of the war.

Not "didn't get produced", but rather as I said "didn't enter service".  There were teething issues that the Yak-3 with the VK-107a and the Yak-9U had because of the engine.  The Yak-9U was pushed out into service despite those while the Yak-3 with that engine was delayed.

With the VK-107 the Yak-3's performance was pretty dang good.  Something like 4850fpm climb and a top speed of 440mph.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »

No, the K4 should be faster, climb better, accelerate better at altitude.

The Yak-3 will be able to out turn it. Really, I'd imagine you would fight it the same way you fight a Spit 16, save for the fact that you need a larger head start to escape.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »
Another backup cocker with pneumatic cocker.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
Happy days Happy days  :rock :rock :rock :x :x :x
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
Don't turn fight with it.  The Yak-3 with the Yak-9U's VK-107 engined didn't enter service until after the war so the Yak-3 will be using the VK-105 engine that the Yak-9T has.  It just gets Yak-9U level performance out of it because it is smaller.

Yak3 had the VK 105PF2 which was reserved for the Yak 3 throughout nearly all of 44. The Yak9T ( and M) remained with the slightly less powerful VK 105 PF.
Ludere Vincere