Author Topic: I'm so flying that Yak!!!!  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: I'm so flying that Yak!!!!
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
Actually some Yak9T's were converted under production to Yak9DD. So the generic Yak9 could offer the extra wing tanks as a load out option.
Ludere Vincere

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Actually some Yak9T's were converted under production to Yak9DD. So the generic Yak9 could offer the extra wing tanks as a load out option.
Imagine the nose art on the Yak9 DD  :D
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »
A pair of ...

Yeah, totally awesome.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
The Welch's agrees!  We must have it :)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »
So basically give the yaks preferential treatment...
Why not?  Bf109s are already given similar preferential treatment.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »

The in-game 109G/K are heads and shoulders above the (projected) Yaks in climb/range/firepower and raw horsepower... thus the ENY for 109s reflect that.
109K has been lowered to ENY 15, which I think is appropriate for the 30mm, and relative lack of maneuverability. The G-14 is ENY 20 now, I think, but I don't fly that model.

The rest are ENY 30 or 40, which is roughly appropriate for their capabilities, given their lack of stellar performance.

In my view, ENY 0-10 was always the super-fighters, and the ridiculously-high-usage aircraft. 10-20 was for the better than average fighters, those that have good performance, but are hampered in one way or another. ENY 20-30 for the average aircraft. 30-40 for the sub-par performers.

While the K4 is a very good fighter, by the time the pilot is skilled enough to make full usage of the aircraft, analysis of statistics would be judging the pilot more than the plane.

I really doubt a Yak-9D will be modeled so I think it's definite to conclude Yaks and pretty much the Soviet fighter lineup will remain short legged.
So are spitfires. And 109's, and 190's, etc. The biggest difference is that those fighters can take drop tanks, while the Yaks cannot, and that the Yaks are essentially running WEP all the time. The K4's flight time at WEP without a DT is only 23 minutes, IIRC.

Heck, graph wise, the Yak-3 won't be that far from Yak-9U and the earlier Yaks will be no better than P-40s.
And I think the Yak-9 should be a bit lower than its 23(?) ENY. Its a tad slower, but more maneuverable than average, with good climb, but relatively short range. That drops it into the 10-20 range.

The earlier Yaks, I would agree with. Although perhaps 30 ENY for the -7B and 9M, as IIRC they could make about 315mph at sea level.

I use 109 as an example because it's the main fighter the Yaks tangled with.

We gotta start initially with an attractive ENY not only because of the shortcomings I pointed above, but to also to keep the plane fresh and interest going. if Yak's 3 and 9U's presence does increase then the ENY should be adjusted.
[/quote]

Why not?  Bf109s are already given similar preferential treatment.

Not really after the updated ENY; the K4 should be about 15 IMO, as should the D9. ENY 20 fits the G-14, given its dog-like performance off of WEP. 30 ENY is right about what the early G and F models should be.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
The Bf109K-4 is superior to the Spitfire Mk XIV as modeled in the game, yet the Spit has the ENY 5 and the K-4 the ENY 15.  The Bf109F-4 had, for a long time, an ENY 35 to the less used, less successful Spitfire Mk V's ENY 25.

Bf109s have consistently had ENYs that made them great perk farmers because the bang for the buck is so much higher than other high ENY fighters.

Don't get me wrong, there are other fighters that seem favored like that too, but to preemptively object about the Yak's maybe getting the same treatment is silly.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »
The Bf109K-4 is superior to the Spitfire Mk XIV as modeled in the game, yet the Spit has the ENY 5 and the K-4 the ENY 15.  The Bf109F-4 had, for a long time, an ENY 35 to the less used, less successful Spitfire Mk V's ENY 25.

Bf109s have consistently had ENYs that made them great perk farmers because the bang for the buck is so much higher than other high ENY fighters.

Don't get me wrong, there are other fighters that seem favored like that too, but to preemptively object about the Yak's maybe getting the same treatment is silly.

The assumption being I like the weird ENY, or that that what ENY values WERE at has any relevance right after an ENY change?

Never said I'll want the Spit XIV at ENY 5. Never said the F-4 should be 35, while the Spit V is 25.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
Refreshing take on Yak series from the (Red Star) Military Channel :rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s382_MemQtU

Thank you Perrine. Spent hours watching ww2 and modern Russian films looking for PBP reticle. Came up with two. Early and Late. Updated these to the historic pack and will release when HTC releases the new Yaks. Seems these also show up in reflector sights for manned ack and the Late was used up to early Mig15 before radar tracking sights.

PBP1 Early. 100Mil main ring

PBP1 Late. 120Mil main ring

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »
I suspect ENY, like the whole perk system itself, is based on usage numbers, not performance. The whole point of having a perk system is to promote variety.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:19:35 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
I suspect ENY, like the whole perk system itself, is based on usage numbers, not performance.

ENY values would be very much different then. If it were only about usage, SPit 14 would be more like 15-20, the 110G would be closer to 5.

In the end, it's about all of it - air to air potentiol, air to ground capability, "arena impact", plain usage...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
You say that without actually knowing the usage numbers. To my knowledge HTC has never published them.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »
You say that without actually knowing the usage numbers. To my knowledge HTC has never published them.

What are usage numbers exactly? Number of sorties? Flying times in particular planes?

As a matter of fact, for fighters and vehicles (actually for most planes sans a few exceptions), the amount of 'usage' can be pretty good determined by adding up their kills and deaths (+ some measure of actual experience in the MA) :)

When the Spit 14 has about the same number of kills and deaths as the Spit 9 or Spit 8, and the Spit 16 has more than twice the number of K+D than any of them, it says a lot about general "usage" (and impact). Note that these numbers are also not fluctuating wildly, but are very much consistent over long times.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
It seems like it is based on perk point accumulation:

... This is a purely a game system for the main arena.  How a plane gets classified only has to do with how it affects the main arena, not with how it served historically...

I couldn't even tell you what a future perk plane would cost because that's based on point accumulation rates.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »
I think you are misinterpreting the second quote.

It's from the time where the perk system was about to get introduced. He states he can't tell the perk price of a future perk plane at that time, becasue they don't have any idea how quickly players are accumulating the perks - they simply had no experience with that yet.
It does not say ENY is based (only) on "perk accumulation rate". Though that may, of course, play a role.