Author Topic: Where have all the players gone?  (Read 14037 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Where have all the players gone?
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
Terms that were once used commonly can at a later date be deemed offensive.  There are many examples, most of them with respect to a minority group, nationality, or ethnicity.  PC can carry this to extremes, but "Jap" is today outside the PC realm and into common perception in the US as not being polite.  "Limey" and "Yank" aren't at that level today, likely because the English and Americans don't feel like anyone whose opinion matters perceives them as being lower status, so they don't care much about it.

...and because we didn't intern any English people

Maybe this will help some folks understand
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:37:36 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
The term is offensive.

Enough said.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:01 PM »
The term is offensive.

Enough said.
And the irony is in the title of this thread....  :rofl :rofl
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
Terms that were once used commonly can at a later date be deemed offensive.  

While true enough in some circumstances, "Jap" was a derogatory term when it was used in WWII, and remains so today.  Dolby may be too young to realize this, for all I know.

- oldman

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »
And the irony is in the title of this thread....  :rofl :rofl

Exactly. People don't stay in a community where they're subjected to offensive bigotry.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Frod

• Copper Member
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »
Gyrene, I see your points.  Some modes are close to "home".    The others don't appeal to me.    What might "fly" here would be changes to re-arm restrictions...the ability to change the load-out would be a plus in AH.    Oh, and after a brief venture "over there" in the kiddie pool, my subscription stays here. :aok

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
 Where have all the players gone? I killed em all!

Really though I have just lost interest over time. Theres alot of other cool stuff to do out there in this world than sitting on my butt playing a game. Any game not just this one.

~AoM~

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
A near hiku from when my daughter was 2.  (Imagery applicable to AH play as well.)

Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

:rofl  :rofl
 :aok

Celeste and viv are just hilarious
 :rofl

Playing these last few days, what's really burning me out are the hordes.  I have to up, fly to 30k and I get ho'd.  :furious
rather annoying.

Albiet here are many fights to be had within the horde if you can single someone out

sawzaw
bluecoat
jazzi
to name a few.

Granted it takes time. There's still life in AH
(if your bored load a staged mission with a buddy. Me and crabby winged up with 6 AI and flew 190's against 70 lances and just had a blast being mauled)
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:09 AM »
I didn't read all the posts and I'm late but here's why I play less than I used to:  There's less to do that's fun and interesting.

Most of that IMO is related to the consolidation of strats.  I use to like to bomb strats with both bombers and attack planes, rocket strats with Skd's or PT boats, shoot strats with tanks or mobile flak and defend strats against others that liked to attack them in many different ways.  Most of that is gone.  

All of that used to spread people across the maps.  Now they horde more than ever before because there's little else an individual player can do alone to effect the outcome of the game so 1:1's also declined as a result.  So did buff hunting.  Fewer targets = fewer buffs in the air.  Now you get to fly with or against the horde or fly for an hour going after the one guy who thinks a strat raid makes sense but might bail before you reach him.

There used to be a time base taking (or defending) wasn't that difficult that it needed 40 planes un the air.  The additions of star wars ack, bigger towns, spread VBases, etc,. etc., etc, only encouraged the horde.  I swear the horde is exactly what HT has aimed for over the years and he's succeeded brilliantly (The blue line experiment would have been the ultimate manifistation of this).

There's more but those leap to mind.

I still keep my subsciption but play less and less and less.  It's only a matter of time before it's never at all and my subscription is dropped.

RIP AH.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:16:51 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
hi

come one its not so bad, i love hunting hords in my 262.
if a hord is jumping frome base to base im siting in my 262 and waiting were thay are going next. and if the sirens begins im jup in the air and disturp this horde as much as posible. If more guys will do that the hords will get away some day.
The horde taktik period is a timeline in AH we see in AH frome year to year. Doe you remeber the large tiffi raids long ttime ago, now thay are using p38. its nothing new but hunting Hords are always fun.
Theere are so many posibilitys you can finde your fun in AH, just try it :-).

cu christian

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2013, 01:42:47 AM »
I remeber the spit 16 horde a while back. Was fun raking the perks in :t
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »
there's little else an individual player can do alone to effect the outcome of the game
Maybe set it up so players can have larger effect on smaller scale.  Something like the old Zone system?  If one of these doesnt work, maybe a number of them would - e.g. zoned strats, more automated supply lines (C47, train, truck, etc), Me 163 factories, local P2P ENY, decentralized/local HQ dot/bar radar, etc.   Put a relatively low cap on how much effect the many players in one group ("horde") can have, versus same number of players in X smaller geographically separate groups.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:57:00 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2013, 06:13:28 AM »
Exactly. People don't stay in a community where they're subjected to offensive bigotry.
take it from someone who grew up subjected to such nonsense from every side of the fence...the politically correct society in the u.s. is sickening. people need to grow a pair and stop looking for reasons to be offended. i have personally witnessed bigoted people in 4 different countries talking about how they're offended at the bigotry of other people...that was putting it nicely by the way.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline spitter123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »
I was just gonna get on not long ago and there was only 42 players on :/ Usually at this times there's at least 100. What has happened.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »
I was just gonna get on not long ago and there was only 42 players on :/ Usually at this times there's at least 100. What has happened.

It's long ago that we had "usually 100" at this time of the day. ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman