Author Topic: Where have all the players gone?  (Read 13778 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Where have all the players gone?
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
Looking at the ranks today I noticed that the worst ranks were just under 3000. I remember just 2 or 3 years ago that number was 5000 or so. Where have almost half the player base gone and why? AcesHigh has been improving as far as newly added planes and GVs. The gameplay itself is the same IMO. So what gives? Is it the graphics that's running folks off? I don't shop around for games to play, so I don't know what's out there, but the graphics seem okay to me.  :headscratch:

I would of guessed that when FA folded, AcesHigh numbers would go up.......not down.  :frown:
Charlie don't surf!

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Where have all the players gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »
12 hour side switch

stale gameplay

competing games with decent graphics AND a much lower skill ceiling (which is what the majority of players seem to desire)

don't get me wrong, i still subscribe and try to fly when i have time...but the first two points i mentioned are big turnoffs fornme when i think 'hmmm...should i fire up AH?'
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
I'm guessing the economy has a lot to do with it. The traditional increase of summer squeakers seems way down this year...mebbe that's a good thing  :banana:

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
Hording, HOing and a general lack of sportsmanship. Run away at the FIRST sign of competition. Worst of all....the people who defend such tactics. The game's going to pot and if the players don't change how they play, soon, the only players will be the HOers, runners and their apologists. Once that happens....no AH.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
competing games with decent graphics AND a much lower skill ceiling (which is what the majority of players seem to desire)

My bet's on this one.

- oldman

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
Couple of years ago they did a commercial on discovery and military channel that got lots of new blood in. Sadly no new easy targets to shot down except uptown :devil

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
I'm flying less myself maybe an hour this month, 5-6 planes gang on 1,  the anything for a kill players, alt monkey bombers, the horde style tactics... Will taking a break from the game change the way its currently being played.... Most likely not.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
Hording, HOing and a general lack of sportsmanship. Run away at the FIRST sign of competition. Worst of all....the people who defend such tactics. The game's going to pot and if the players don't change how they play, soon, the only players will be the HOers, runners and their apologists. Once that happens....no AH.

so much fail...

that is the bigger reason...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
There is a recession on :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Looking at the ranks today I noticed that the worst ranks were just under 3000. I remember just 2 or 3 years ago that number was 5000 or so. Where have almost half the player base gone and why? AcesHigh has been improving as far as newly added planes and GVs. The gameplay itself is the same IMO. So what gives? Is it the graphics that's running folks off? I don't shop around for games to play, so I don't know what's out there, but the graphics seem okay to me.  :headscratch:

I would of guessed that when FA folded, AcesHigh numbers would go up.......not down.  :frown:

:airplane: Graphics and making the game a little more realistic, such as "eye" candy, aircraft sitting on ramps at fields, trucks and jeeps parked or moving about, less "pilot wounds" and more aircraft damage instead.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »
I haven't played for a year but still maintain my account. Will probably be back one of these days.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline iKo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
I think it is just might be aging with time. I mean look at the plane sets we are talking like from 1938 to 1950 give or take. I think more of the younger guys look at it like a video game and want to win even if its gaming the game. I think more of the older guys born from like 1950 to 1980 might look at this as a WWII flight sim and not just a video game, I know i do built a chair cockpit and all and was building WWII planes back in the late 60's  :cool:. Most of the old timers I talk to like myself all say its about the hand shacking palm sweating fight you have not the kill and a score that seems to be what a lot of these guys want now (and they think these defines them as being good or just wining). Hey maybe its just me I don't know but that's my 50 cents worth (inflation)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
iKo, I liked your P-51 vs. P-51 vid.  :aok

Off topic question:  your TrackIR setup seems to work really well.  Did you have to screw with any settings, or just default setup for TrackIR?

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
Family and everyday life takes most of my time, not much time left to play anymore. But I keep my subscription running anyway, just in case I get to play a couple of hours now and then. But I usually don't get more than 5-6 hours a month anymore, and that's too little to even get the practice I need to fly any good.  :bhead

Not played a single sortie for a couple of weeks or so now, hope to be able to play a few hours again one of these nights.  :joystick:  :salute
TheStig

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
12 hour side switch

stale gameplay

Bang on. :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho