Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 16256 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »
i'd rather have hundreds more people who fly trainers (like Midway...and myself), but who want to actually dogfight, than what we currently have.
You can "actually dogfight" in anything. Problem is some don't want to put in the effort or challenge themselves in the harder rides. They want to skate around in over modeled planes doing unrealistic maneuvers thinking they're great aces. Your boy Thrilla is a good example. Ranked #3 in fighters at the moment flying Spit14s constantly. Give me a frikkin; break. Hop in a 38 and lets see how ya rank.
I don't want to hear that crap that only guys flying easy mode are the ones that fight.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:37:27 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
You can "actually dogfight" in anything. Problem is some don't want to put in the effort or challenge themselves in the harder rides. They want to skate around in over modeled planes doing unrealistic maneuvers thinking they're great aces. Your boy Thrilla is a good example. Ranked #3 in fighters at the moment flying Spit14s constantly. Give me a frikkin; break. Hop in a 38 and lets see how ya rank.

Maybe he just wants to fly the 14 now that it has been freed and doesn't care about the rank at all?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »

Maybe he just wants to fly the 14 now that it has been freed and doesn't care about the rank at all?
Possibly. I'm just using him as an example, but you know the types I'm talking about. You know as well as I do there are guys in there that fly whatever is easiest to get the job done. Like Luft squads upping LA7s and Brewsters for base defense, or die hard allied guys upping 152s and 262s for bomber intercepts.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:46:52 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
I don't want to hear that crap that only guys flying easy mode are the ones that fight.

38s?  Really?  That is your example of a hard fighter?  Really?

Take your bias blinders off.  P-38 is well on the easy side of the average difficulty for a fighter in AH.

If you're going to go all elitist you ought to at least suggest something hard like the P-40s, Ki-61 or something similar.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
Any 38 guy knows every con in the sector comes to him first..........unless there's a P40 there too.  :D

How is my comment elitist? That's not what I'm trying to convey.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
Like Luft squads upping LA7s and Brewsters for base defense, or die hard allied guys upping 152s and 262s for bomber intercepts.

Good thing I'm not in a "pretending-to-be" squad and can fly what I want, when I want and where I want  :old:

For the record, the single fighter plane I have most kills in is...  *drumroll* ... the Tempest! Number two... the Me 262!
Just in case anybody wondered if I'm one of those EZ mode cowards myself...  :devil
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:54:33 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
Any 38 guy knows every con in the sector comes to him first..........unless there's a P40 there too.  :D

How is my comment elitist? That's not what I'm trying to convey.
Or Mossie.  Or Ki-61.  Or C.20x.  Or F4F.  Or Bf110.  Or Me410.  Or I-16.  Or P-39.

P-38 fans like to brag about being the target of choice, but that is only because of the common rides they are the target of choice.  Toss an uncommon ride in the mix and the P-38 will not be the first target.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »
38s?  Really?  That is your example of a hard fighter?  Really?

Take your bias blinders off.  P-38 is well on the easy side of the average difficulty for a fighter in AH.

Balderdash, poppycock, and drivel all rolled into one.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
Balderdash, poppycock, and drivel all rolled into one.

Try flying more of the planeset.  P-38s are on the easy side of the average line.  They are not nearly the easiest, but they are easier than average.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »

And what is wrong with flying the spit14?  If it is such an over modeled plane which can conduct unrealistic manoeuvers why are so few people flying it?  Maybe it's a little more challenging than you think. I've flown several planes as my main ride in AH down the years, however you wont see me in a 38 or a jug for that matter, they hold no appeal to me. I would be surprised if more than a few people knew me from my days when i flew only the mossie.  Rank does not matter to me, it is a by product of me having a few long weekends off work.  

I fly the spit14 because i've wanted it unperked for years.  I thought I had some good fights against you and some of your squad mates this weekend, clearly this wasn't the case for you.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
Try flying more of the planeset.  P-38s are on the easy side of the average line.  They are not nearly the easiest, but they are easier than average.

I fly other fighters a lot, but fly the 38 the most.  I think that gives me a good perspective.

I don't think the 38 is the hardest plane to learn, but I think you're understating the time you need to be proficient in it.  It does many things well but nothing really outstanding.  That leads a noob to get 'stuck' during a fight.  Ask me how I know.  Also, the sheer size of the 38 usually means when you do get stuck and make a mistake, the other guy isn't likely to miss.  You don't realize how much this matters until you go back to a smaller fighter, make a similar mistake, and the guy misses.  I can usually get by with more mistakes in smaller fighters.

*Edit - I think that's one of the reasons I've had such fun in the Yak3.  It's like going from driving a 1 ton dually pickup to a two seater sports car.   :lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:46:36 AM by Triton28 »
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »
PERK THE LA-7!!!

I had nothing new to say so I went with the tried and true.  ;)
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
I think the Yak3 is more of a challenge to fight than the Spit14. I don't see either as the new noob ride of choice. The 16 and LA-7 will hold those titles for the foreseeable future. Both allow the user to write checks their ACM can't cash. And that's a good thing. Newer players need to have a good horse to ride so they will become older players without quitting.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
Newer players need to have a good horse to ride so they will become older players without quitting.

This theme is pretty compelling.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
I won't lie a few months ago when I started I went for the spit 16, before I knew about the BBS or Vudu's videos. It was because of the fact I felt like it was working, then I started to learn and fly new aircraft and as of late have fallen for the KI-84 to me she is sexy, I am sure in time I will find a new ride something more challenging but until I feel I have grown old of the KI or bored of her ill keep her as my primary ride. now this is of course my opinion but I agree new players need a ride that won't kill them more then enemy's, this game is hard enough to learn as it is.
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil