Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 17222 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »

I can't agree with this.  For people like me, at least, the K4 took awhile to learn how to handle the torque effect, the necessary rudder input, and the guns solution.  That just isn't the case with the Spitfires, Zekes, Niks, Yak3s and La7s.

- oldman
Going to have to agree to disagree.  Any plane that gets me out of trouble as easily as the K-4 does is carrying my lack of skill.  It is harder to kill in than a Spit XVI, but easier to live in.  I also don't find its gunnery any harder than the Yak-3, La-7, Spit XIV, A6M2 and A6M3.  The A6Ms rely almost entirely on their enemy being either incompetent or already engaged.  As soon as you're in an A6M engaged with a competent enemy that isn't being forced to turn by an La-7 the A6M becomes very challenging.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »

I can't agree with this.  For people like me, at least, the K4 took awhile to learn how to handle the torque effect, the necessary rudder input, and the guns solution.  That just isn't the case with the Spitfires, Zekes, Niks, Yak3s and La7s.

- oldman

Sure the K4 can be a clutch plane, assuming you are a veteran pilot - with crack gunnery. In the hands of a veteran pilot? Yeah the K4 can be a serious threat - so can the C.205 and P-38J in the hands of the right pilots.
You have to look at an average pilot - flew aces for more then a year, has the basics down - no they will not win every time in a 109K4 let alone hit the side of a barn.

There are some planes which you can escape in far better then others, a Spitfire 16 you have a TON of tools - climb rate, acceleration, turn radius - I rarely ever flew the Spit16, to me I could get into trouble and out with no problem at all, anything faster then me I could out turn, anything slower I could outrun or climb. the 109K4 always plagued me, I had one of the best K4 instructors in the game (two actually) and I really never got to interested in the K4 other then its pure speed and climb rate - the 30mm for some odd reason was just my biggest poison either I fired to early or late when snap shooting etc.

I stuck with the C.205, P-38J and Ki-84 for most of my flight time, none offer any real tools in the late war arena, I used situation awareness to really keep myself out of trouble - and my gunnery was above average so even on snapshots I would go for wings etc.

I agree on one thing - with an average pilot, they can survive longer in the "dweeb" rides, P-51, Dora9, La7 and spitfire - but overall it really depends their SA and skill - the majority won't last with a veteran pilot around in any given situation and against an inferior plane.

Surviving depends on many factors, most jsut jump for one kill then haul bellybutton to get back to alt where they believe its safe - unless someone bothered to climb up there to take them down. Its a false illusion in my eyes.
JG 52

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
Every pixel plane is a crutch, a crutch helping pixel man take to the pixel sky.  :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »
Speed is by far the most important survival tool and the easiest to utilize. A noob in a spit 16 is much easier to kill than a noob in a 109k4 p51 or la7.

The k4 is easy enough to get 1 kill with and that is all a noob  wants. Same with the yak3 - enough ammo to get 1 kill with and enough survivability tools.

Zeke's and brews rely entirely on the presence of late war friendlies. I can fly most mid/late war planes into a cloud of zekes with the full confidence of coming out of it. Put even one LA7 or 109k or p51 in that cloud and I am not so sure.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2013, 11:10:58 AM »
I can fly most mid/late war planes into a cloud of zekes with the full confidence of coming out of it.

That because you'll Head On, everything you see.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
Speed is by far the most important survival tool and the easiest to utilize. A noob in a spit 16 is much easier to kill than a noob in a 109k4 p51 or la7.

The k4 is easy enough to get 1 kill with and that is all a noob  wants. Same with the yak3 - enough ammo to get 1 kill with and enough survivability tools.

Zeke's and brews rely entirely on the presence of late war friendlies. I can fly most mid/late war planes into a cloud of zekes with the full confidence of coming out of it. Put even one LA7 or 109k or p51 in that cloud and I am not so sure.

Virtually everything about this post is wrong. 
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »
I love to hear enemy complain about Mother Russia's superior aircraft.  :D

If HiTech wanted to make some money...  He would start a Russia only server, and then goose up the stats and abilities on all of the Russian planes while nerfing everything else...   :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
That because you'll Head On, everything you see.
I HO their 12, I HO their 6, I HO their top, I HO their bottom. I once even killed a B17 by flying into its bomb bay and HO it from the inside. On one special occasion I ran out of ammo and HOed Dobly with my wingman.

:P
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #293 on: December 01, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
If HiTech wanted to make some money...  He would start a Russia only server, and then goose up the stats and abilities on all of the Russian planes while nerfing everything else...   :bolt:

Already been done and that stolen arena sits empty.

I'm here because aces high is the best thing going.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: December 01, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »
Only true if turning is the only aspect of "crutch" that matters.  Speed, acceleration and climb are most certainly aspects of a crutch plane as well.  Bf109K-4 is absolutely a crutch plane and only somebody looking to pat themselves on the back for their skill while they utilize the Bf109K-4 crutch and taunt people for using the N1K2-J.

Crutch plane is the one that does most everything reasonably well. K4 and dora do not fit that category. spits. NIKIs, LA's Yak3,s do

You can take any of the latter mentioned planes into similar circumstances and expect them to be able to perform at least reasonably well. And even if paced at a disadvantage they can use their balanced abilities to offset those disadvantages. Not so with the K4 of the Dora. Each are only really good at a couple of things. But suffer a severe disadvantage when place in other circumstances that are hard to overcome without a lot of work by the person at the controls
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »
N1K2 is slow and doesn't climb all that well.  Yak-3 doesn't turn particularly well.  No Spit, other than the quirky Mk XIV, is actually fast.

Sorry, you're just minimizing the strengths of the Bf109K-4, Fw190D-9 and P-51D and arbitrarily saying the others are easy mode.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #296 on: December 01, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

- oldman

Exactly true. And if you had a brand new player in the game and wanted them to have at least some initial success. Would you suggest they start out in the Dora or K4? Or Spit, LA Zeke. or Niki?

There is a far greater learning curve with the K4 or Dora then there is with the others
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #297 on: December 01, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »
N1K2 is slow and doesn't climb all that well.  Yak-3 doesn't turn particularly well.  No Spit, other than the quirky Mk XIV, is actually fast.

Sorry, you're just minimizing the strengths of the Bf109K-4, Fw190D-9 and P-51D and arbitrarily saying the others are easy mode.

I flew the NIKI for almost a year. Contact JB42 and ask him if I was any good in it.  It can climb given speed. Its  more balanced strengths can overcome many of the disadvantages it faces. Yak3 certainly can turn better then many of the other planes

In comparison with the ease of handling and learning curve required to become decent in each. They are
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #298 on: December 01, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »

I consider myself a decent stick in a K4....but if I faced myself in a N1K...the N1k would win. Flat out fact
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #299 on: December 01, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
Crutch plane is the one that does most everything reasonably well.

Disagree. 

A crutch plane is one that does one or more things exceptionally well, thereby allowing the pilot to rely solely on those exceptional attributes to get kills and/or survive encounters he would otherwise not.   

Last part of that is the key.  Some guys are good enough to be killers in anything they fly.  Those guys could be  flying a Tempest around all day and IMO, that Tempest isn't a crutch plane.  Others, and we all know who they are, that isn't the case. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-