Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 16328 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »
So, what is the definition of an easy plane?
the plane that you want fewer player to fly.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »
the plane that you want fewer player to fly.

Ahhhhh, the 190s then  :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2013, 09:06:22 AM »
... like the guy on ch200 "what's the best plane??"
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
Excellent post, moot.   :)

I agree that the 38 has plenty to offer, but it's status as a 'Jack of all Trades' is paradoxical.  The biggest strength of the 38 is also it's biggest weakness.  It does everything well enough to try, but that doesn't mean you should. 

I had a big point for point response to some of what you've said, but I'll spare everyone that.  A lot of that comes down to the minutia of the situation.  My point to Karnak was the 38 is capable, but not 'easy' to learn. 

The only point I will argue against is your comment on dive brakes.  The 38L doesn't have dive brakes, it has dive recovery flaps that don't retard speed at all.  If you meant "brakes" as in it forces overshoots easily, I can't really agree.  I've had mixed results with most of my success probably being the result of the other guy screwing up.  Other planes seem to force overshoots much easier.

Ok, and I'm saying this as someone who's consistently (8+years) flown one of those ridiculously handicapped BnZ planes in TnB fights: the 38 is a piece of cake

I'll briefly hop on your ankle and say you're not an average pilot.  What comes easy to you is not easy for the vast majority of us.  /ankle off

You only get paid back for efforts once you reach a relatively high floor of piloting skill, but once you do the pay back is huge. 
  I think you and I agree on this, actually.  The 38 in the hands of someone who knows it and how to make the best use of it in any situation will be successful.  But it doesn't really come that easy to everyone.  If it did, you'd see a lot more 38 drivers mixing it up on the deck. 

From a Hurricane?

My way of saying that in most cases, diving away isn't an option for the 38.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
But a P-40 vs. a mix of late-war superplanes is at a large disadvantage typically.

This is what makes it fun.... after all these years... the 39D too  ;)
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2013, 11:29:46 AM »
There are only a four of aircraft I have landed eight air-to-air kills with, the N1K2-J, Typhoon Mk Ib, Mosquito Mk VI and P-38L.  The Mosquito isn't really in the same category as I've flown it so many times that my opportunities to land eight kills have been higher thus even though I did it twice in it, the percentage of sorties that resulted in an eight kill landing is much lower.

If I found it easy to have that success in the P-38, and there were other very successful sorties too, it can't be that hard.  It certainly is harder than the Spitfires, other than the I and XIV, and N1K2-J, but that doesn't make it harder than most.

Only once have I landed more than eight air-to-air kills and that was twelve kills in an A6M5b.  That sortie was an aberration for me as ever shot I took seemed to go home, even insane deflection shots. 
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
It seems that Pervert is in Belfast. Now, we all recognize that the Irish truly love their British brethren (cough, cough)... However, being of direct Irish lineage, I can state that the Irish would rather be called almost anything, but "British"...

Thus, for that offense alone, you should include "Pervert is my Daddy" in your sig, for at least a week....

Absolutely!!   :lol  
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
We Americans like to take all of the credit for the P-51, but the P-51 is half American (airframe) and half British (engine).  :aok  (Also, I think it was the British who named it "Mustang," although I'm not positive about that.)

There are 4 versions we don't have that are all American. Yes it was named by the British, Mustang I with 8 guns, 8x30 or 4x50 and 4x30, then there was the P-51 4x20mm, the A36 6x50 and eggs, dive flaps, Ground Ponder, and the P-51A 4x50 sleek Alison machine also very capable..........  :lol  .......Maybe... we will get them some day :frown:

ALL American,
 :cheers:

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
There are only a four of aircraft I have landed eight air-to-air kills with, the N1K2-J, Typhoon Mk Ib, Mosquito Mk VI and P-38L.  The Mosquito isn't really in the same category as I've flown it so many times that my opportunities to land eight kills have been higher thus even though I did it twice in it, the percentage of sorties that resulted in an eight kill landing is much lower.

If I found it easy to have that success in the P-38, and there were other very successful sorties too, it can't be that hard.  It certainly is harder than the Spitfires, other than the I and XIV, and N1K2-J, but that doesn't make it harder than most.

Only once have I landed more than eight air-to-air kills and that was twelve kills in an A6M5b.  That sortie was an aberration for me as ever shot I took seemed to go home, even insane deflection shots. 

Landing kills isn't the same as fighting in it.  I've landed 9 kills in a 38G before just picking a furball.  I don't really consider that awesome 38 flying, as all I was really taking advantage of is the gun package and target fixation by the cons.

I think we're moving the goalposts a bit here.  There's a huge difference between being easy to fly and kill with and being an effective fighter for someone who takes the time to learn and use the platform.  The 38 falls squarely in the latter category, imo.  I think it does with the majority of AH players, too.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
It seems that Pervert is in Belfast. Now, we all recognize that the Irish truly love their British brethren (cough, cough)... However, being of direct Irish lineage, I can state that the Irish would rather be called almost anything, but "British"...

Thus, for that offense alone, you should include "Pervert is my Daddy" in your sig, for at least a week....

Your ignorance is showing...........

But it's not for here..........
Ludere Vincere

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »
This is what makes it fun.... after all these years... the 39D too  ;)

I do well in the P-39D and have flown that a lot.  I think it's quite a capable plane.  It's reasonably fast down low, small and hard to hit, turns actually quite well, handles well at speed, climbs OK down low.  The P-40 seems a lot more difficult (except in scenarios, where it's fighting its historical opponents and is good at it).

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
There are 4 versions we don't have that are all American. Yes it was named by the British, Mustang I with 8 guns, 8x30 or 4x50 and 4x30, then there was the P-51 4x20mm, the A36 6x50 and eggs, dive flaps, Ground Ponder, and the P-51A 4x50 sleek Alison machine also very capable..........  :lol  .......Maybe... we will get them some day :frown:

ALL American,
 :cheers:

True, but there weren't many of those compared to the Merlin-engine ones.  Still, it's probably better for me to say that the P-51B and D are British and American.  :aok

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
Landing kills isn't the same as fighting in it.  I've landed 9 kills in a 38G before just picking a furball.  I don't really consider that awesome 38 flying, as all I was really taking advantage of is the gun package and target fixation by the cons.
Sure, but that wasn't the kind of kills those eight were.  They were obtained in a canyon brawl, not picks.

[quote[I think we're moving the goalposts a bit here.  There's a huge difference between being easy to fly and kill with and being an effective fighter for someone who takes the time to learn and use the platform.  The 38 falls squarely in the latter category, imo.  I think it does with the majority of AH players, too.[/quote]
By that rational almost all of the fighters in AH fall into the latter category.  I don't see it as black and white, but more as a progression.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
Excellent post, moot.   :)

I agree that the 38 has plenty to offer, but it's status as a 'Jack of all Trades' is paradoxical.  The biggest strength of the 38 is also it's biggest weakness.  It does everything well enough to try, but that doesn't mean you should. 

I had a big point for point response to some of what you've said, but I'll spare everyone that.  A lot of that comes down to the minutia of the situation.  My point to Karnak was the 38 is capable, but not 'easy' to learn. 

The only point I will argue against is your comment on dive brakes.  The 38L doesn't have dive brakes, it has dive recovery flaps that don't retard speed at all.  If you meant "brakes" as in it forces overshoots easily, I can't really agree.  I've had mixed results with most of my success probably being the result of the other guy screwing up.  Other planes seem to force overshoots much easier.

I'll briefly hop on your ankle and say you're not an average pilot.  What comes easy to you is not easy for the vast majority of us.  /ankle off
  I think you and I agree on this, actually.  The 38 in the hands of someone who knows it and how to make the best use of it in any situation will be successful.  But it doesn't really come that easy to everyone.  If it did, you'd see a lot more 38 drivers mixing it up on the deck. 

My way of saying that in most cases, diving away isn't an option for the 38.
I made a new thread for this tangent.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
Your ignorance is showing...........

But it's not for here..........

Not as much as your cluelessness.... I'm always amazed at how much eludes people sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:43:27 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.