Author Topic: WHICH WAY IS THE PLANE GOING?  (Read 628 times)

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
WHICH WAY IS THE PLANE GOING?
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »
I have trouble seeing the plane when I shrink the map to make it where I can fly with it open. I find it very valuable to do so. You would be surprised how many times you save yourself from being blindsided with the map open.  About a 2 inch square. Its easy to see that red dot coming for you.

But what I have trouble with is as you fly around your plane moves around the map. It can get over the City or most often over the numbers designating the area of the map sector. Or it can just get over a dark colored portion of the map.  I can still see the plane but not what direction its going in. So I can't tell if I'm flying at the Cons or away from them. Of course by the time you figure it out your surrounded by the MoFo's.

I think I'm stating my problem with the plane a little more clearly this time. I apologize for not doing so in my first post about it.

KIMO  :rock

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: WHICH WAY IS THE PLANE GOING?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:48:03 AM »
There's no need to apologize. As mentioned in the other thread, your icon is going to be centrally located on the map (when you shut and reopen it). Yes, it's important to your SA to know where you are in relation to the enemy as well as friendly and enemy bases and so-forth. And, of course, it's important to know the heading of your ship. Every cockpit in AH has compasses. The map is always oriented north up. Forgive me, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm hoping this helps.

:salute :) :cheers:

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 03:08:15 AM »
I have trouble seeing the plane when I shrink the map to make it where I can fly with it open. I find it very valuable to do so. You would be surprised how many times you save yourself from being blindsided with the map open.  About a 2 inch square. Its easy to see that red dot coming for you.

But what I have trouble with is as you fly around your plane moves around the map. It can get over the City or most often over the numbers designating the area of the map sector. Or it can just get over a dark colored portion of the map.  I can still see the plane but not what direction its going in. So I can't tell if I'm flying at the Cons or away from them. Of course by the time you figure it out your surrounded by the MoFo's.

I think I'm stating my problem with the plane a little more clearly this time. I apologize for not doing so in my first post about it.

KIMO  :rock
:airplane: Remember this: the clipboard map is square! the top is North, the right side is East, left side is West, bottom is South! Just check your compass heading in the aircraft you are flying and you should have a general idea which direction you are going. There are enough objects on the maps, by which, if you enlarge it enough, you can almost fly by "pilotage", going from one object to another to destination! Plenty of roads, water and different shaped mountains to keep you straight, if you pay attention.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
Can you send us a screen shot? I have a feeling you are not seeing what the rest of us see.

HiTech

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »
Can you send us a screen shot? I have a feeling you are not seeing what the rest of us see.

HiTech

here's some screenshots to show effect. In 1st screenshot you can't really tell which way icon is pointing. With more friendly icons it gets worse.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:31:16 PM by wrench »
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »
Enable the "Navigational Aids" in the MA!  :old:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
One other situation that makes it impossible to see the plane icon is when your flying with your squad, in a mission or just a group of pilots in your team, (Knights). They start talking back and forth. Well when that occurs their "DOT" on the map is now a larger square. This square now covers every thing in its vicinity including your plane Icon. How many times have I sat at my putter saying to myself...................OK, quit jabbering pleaseeeeeeeeeee.

I'll get shots of it and report back.

Thanks,
Kimo
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:59:41 PM by BBP »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »
One other situation that makes it impossible to see the plane icon is when your flying with your squad, in a mission or just a group of pilots in your team, (Knights). They start talking back and forth. Well when that occurs their "DOT" on the map blows up to a larger square. This square now covers every thing in its vacinnity including your plane Icon. How many times have I sat at my putter saying to myself...................OK, quit jabbering pleaseeeeeeeeeee.

I'll get shots of it and report back.

Thanks,
Kimo

Actually, that's a feature (it allows you to visually find on the map the player who is talking on range channel). It's quite useful, especially if pilot is asking for assistance or is giving sitrep info but either doesn't give an accurate location or other players don't understand the location info being shared. It will generally only cover up your plane icon if you are really close to them or if you've shrunk your clipboard to useless size.  :salute :cheers:

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
Yea I agree Arlo, it is a feature that shows who's talking.  Unfortunately it goes to the top layer of the map and partially covers anything near it. The snap shots above show some good examples of what  I'm talking about. Nothing should trump ones plane Icon on the map.

Thanks,

Kimo

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »
Like this?:

(Note F4U compass center instrument console, btw.
Different a/c place it differently but I always set my
FOV and head setting to make it visible.)

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Yes and when in a group or your squad.............you can't see the plane Icon well at all. And in some instances can continue for a couple minutes. I don't know if making the plane Icon bigger or on a slider to enlarge to the players preference can be done. But boy it would be helpful.

But Arlo, I would never fly with my map covering half of my windshield and blocking my view. I make it smaller.
Kimo
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:45:56 PM by BBP »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
But Arlo, I would never fly with my map covering half of my windshield and blocking my view. I make it smaller.
Kimo

Good for you. The escape key does just that. I think it was a great default key selected by HT, just like the tilde key below it which brings up or gets rid of text. It becomes pure reflex after a short time.  :)

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
What are these keys your talking about Arlo?   Sounds interesting, I'd like to investigate.

Kimo

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
Here's one photo.  Where am I ?  http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BadBassPlayer/library/HiTech%20Images?sort=2&page=1

KIMO
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:58:40 PM by BBP »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:22:57 PM »
One thing you might try is getting rid of as much clutter on your map as possible. Specifically the GV spawn points. You may also find that there is other information that you can do without, like dar rings. Also if you're making the map small that is contributing to your issue. Try making the map larger and not keeping it up. Personally I pull the map up, scan it, and close it. Usually I have the E6B open so if I had the map up all the time I wouldn't be able to see anything out of the cockpit.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54