Author Topic: Battle Of Britain 2013 Registration Now Open  (Read 15368 times)

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: Battle Of Britain 2013 Registration Now Open
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »
Perdue3 you what to fly this event?
If so then I suggest you stop with the bashing CM Team comments.
Continue this type of action and I'll see to it you don't fly any special events.
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
Which means, "Oops, I was about to break another rule as a CM."
No perdue, it means that I remembered you were simply as irrelevant to the event as you were when I shuffled you off to the ozone in DGS.  You really should spend your time in the LW forums actually participating with the rest of your team before you end up just as irrelevant in another event.

Trust me, I have no problem saying what's on my mind, it's just a matter of scale, and relevance, and interest on my part.  I simply lost interest.  Kind of like my little cat who just poked a hole in my new couch.  Love that cat, cute as hell, daughter just adores it. But as I told my daughter, we live way to close to the river for that cat do ruin my stuff. One more time, stupid thing goes for a swim.

You have proven, again, you are less than vital to anything going on here. Either make yourself useful or move on.  Clear enough or do I need a new rule?
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
No perdue, it means that I remembered you were simply as irrelevant to the event as you were when I shuffled you off to the ozone in DGS.  You really should spend your time in the LW forums actually participating with the rest of your team before you end up just as irrelevant in another event.

Trust me, I have no problem saying what's on my mind, it's just a matter of scale, and relevance, and interest on my part.  I simply lost interest.  Kind of like my little cat who just poked a hole in my new couch.  Love that cat, cute as hell, daughter just adores it. But as I told my daughter, we live way to close to the river for that cat do ruin my stuff. One more time, stupid thing goes for a swim.

You have proven, again, you are less than vital to anything going on here. Either make yourself useful or move on.  Clear enough or do I need a new rule?

Nice. I'll abuse my moderate amount of power like last time. :lol
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
Oh whats wrong kilo?  Some of you want to run roughshod over people but cry foul when they challenge it?  Complain when responses don't come but complain further when they do  :rofl Think perhaps you are free to pile on because, perhaps, we are easy targets due to our not being "allowed" to reply? 
So much effort put into showboating out here, but no effort at all where the event is actually occurring. Some things will never change :)  Predictable as the sun rising. Missing the point in so many different ways, dude it's like you aren't event trying.

Go do something productive, be part of your team.  Or not, still entirely your choice.  As usual, I'm having a rather enjoyable time keeping up with how much time some of you spend doing nothing while others are carrying the ball for you.  I'm sure your team mates are ever so grateful for your efforts.  Have you, by any slim chance, used any of your energy to provide anything productive at all for those who might have to rely on you?  Are you going to make yourself irrelevant by lack of effort and participation..again? 

Remember, I said I had every intention of letting you guys waste your time. I'm sure the other side is more than pleased right now. Carry on. 

ROC

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
Just here to ask a question: the one life or whatever the particulars were is for each frame, correct? And not the entire scenario?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
Just here to ask a question: the one life or whatever the particulars were is for each frame, correct? And not the entire scenario?

Yep.Each frame.  Good to see you joining in TJ :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
Oh whats wrong kilo?  Some of you want to run roughshod over people but cry foul when they challenge it?  Complain when responses don't come but complain further when they do  :rofl Think perhaps you are free to pile on because, perhaps, we are easy targets due to our not being "allowed" to reply? 
So much effort put into showboating out here, but no effort at all where the event is actually occurring. Some things will never change :)  Predictable as the sun rising. Missing the point in so many different ways, dude it's like you aren't event trying.

Go do something productive, be part of your team.  Or not, still entirely your choice.  As usual, I'm having a rather enjoyable time keeping up with how much time some of you spend doing nothing while others are carrying the ball for you.  I'm sure your team mates are ever so grateful for your efforts.  Have you, by any slim chance, used any of your energy to provide anything productive at all for those who might have to rely on you?  Are you going to make yourself irrelevant by lack of effort and participation..again? 

Remember, I said I had every intention of letting you guys waste your time. I'm sure the other side is more than pleased right now. Carry on. 

I would like to point out I haven't complained once in this thread.

Having questions about the event is not "showboating."

I said the same thing when I saw the rules write up same story different scenario.

We show up to every meeting setup for GLs and follow our orders. We even had a member skinning planes for this scenario. The notion that we don't do anything productive(what you deem productive) is false.

No I have not become a Luft cheerleader or joined the RP bar in LW.

I don't get why you keep bringing up the make yourself irrelevant line. You admitted to making perd irrelevant by "sending him to the ozone." Doesn't seem like our problem.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
I've read the event rules and I didn't see any mention of Radar Range.  Did I miss it? 

I did noticed that the base flashing range is only 7 miles, which means bases get about 1 to 1.5 minutes warning (and of course the chance to intercept with a 1 minute warning is pretty close to nil).

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
Just as an aside .... I posted this in the RAF forum but since it has no classified information I thought I'd share it here:

In this event it is my intent to take on the persona of an American who came to fight for the RAF.

Historically (well, arguably, as you will see) there were only 9* (prior to the formation of the official Eagle squadrons, which was after BoB):

William M.L. Fiske (No. 601 Squadron - not depicted in this event)

Fiske was born in New York in 1911, the son of Beulah and William Fiske, a New England
banking magnate. He attended school in Chicago, and then went to school in France in
1924, where he discovered the sport of bobsled at the age of 16. Fiske attended Trinity Hall,
Cambridge in 1928 where he studied Economics and History.

Shortly before the outbreak of World War II, Fiske was recalled to the New York offices of
Dillon, Reed & Co, but on 30 August 1939 he returned to England aboard the Aquitania
accompanying a bank colleague who was also a member of No. 601 (County of London)
Auxiliary Air Force Squadron. Fiske pretended to be a Canadian. He joined the Royal Air
Force Volunteer Reserve and was promoted to the rank of Pilot Officer on 23 March 1940.

Flying Officer Carl R. Davis (No. 601 Squadron - not depicted in this event)

Born in Krugersdorp, Transvaal in South Africa to American parents, Davis was educated
in England at Sherborne School, and Trinity College, Cambridge (Bachelor of Arts) and at
McGill University, Montreal (Bachelor of Arts qualifying as a mining engineer). Becoming a
British citizen in 1932.

(the so-called "Millionaires' Squadron")

Pilot Officers Eugene Tobin, Vernon C. Keough and Andrew Mamedoff (No. 609 Squadron - depicted in this event - 6 aircraft [Spitfire I])

Eugene Tobin

Born in Los Angeles, California, the son of Ignatius Quimby Tobin and Mary Alicia Tobin
(nee O'Fallon). Tobin initially came to Europe to fight on the side of Finland against the
Soviet Union's invasion of that country, but hostilities had ceased before he arrived. He
was already a qualified pilot, having learned to fly in the 1930s.

Vernon C. Keough

At 4' 10" Keough was the smallest pilot in the RAF and had to use two cushions in his
Spitfire to see out of the cockpit. Born in Brooklyn, New York around 1912, the son
Charles and Constance Theresa Keough. He had earned a civil pilot's license in America
and was also a professional parachute jumper with over 500 jumps, performing at air
shows across America.

Andrew Mamedoff

Born in Thompson, Connecticut, where his White Russian family had settled in the early
1910s. Interestingly, it is believed that he was Jewish of Russian heritage. Mamedoff
attended Bryant College in the early 1930s. He had learned to fly in the USA and even
had his own plane with which he performed at airshows. He and Eugene Tobin had been
flying friends at Mines Field in California before the war. He was attempting to set up
charter services in Miami immediately prior to the war. Mamedoff initially came to Europe
to fight on the side of Finland against the Soviet Union, but hostilities had ceased before
he arrived. In 1941 Mamedoff married an English woman, Alys Laird "Penny" Mamedoff
(née Craven) at Epping. He became the first of the Americans to take a war bride during
World War II.

(PRoP! - I love it. Now this would be a good skin to add. Someone [who is skilled], please don't make me try.)  :D

Pilot Officer Phillip H. Leckrone (No. 616 Squadron - not depicted in this event)

Leckrone was from Salem, Illinois, the son of William and Lottie Leckrone. He was married
to Mackenzie A. Leckrone. He was an experienced pilot, owning his own aircraft.

Pilot Officer Arthur G. Donahue (No. 64 Squadron depicted in this event - 6 aircraft [Spitfire I])

Donahue was born to Frank and Ada Donahue on 29 January 1913 and was raised on a
dairy farm near St. Charles, Minnesota. As a teenager, he learned to fly at Conrad Flying
Service, operated by Max Conrad, an aviator known as the "Flying Grandfather" who set
numerous world records for distance and endurance flying. After learning how to fly and
becoming Minnesota's youngest commercially certificated pilot at the age of 19, Donahue
worked for Conrad helping to run the flight school until he left to join the Royal Air Force.
Donahue had heard that pilots were being recruited in Canada, so he traveled there,
claimed to be Canadian, and was accepted.

John K. Haviland (No. 1 Squadron [not depicted in this event] and No. 151 Squadron - depicted in this event - 6 aircraft [Hurricane I])

Born in Mount Kisco, New York, the son of a US Navy officer and an English mother,
Haviland was educated in England from the age of five and was educated at Nottingham
University and the University of London. He joined the Royal Air Force Reserve in July
1939 and was called up for war service in September of the same year.

De Peyster Brown (1 RCAF Squadron - not depicted in this event)

Born December 1915 in Pennsylvania. Brown joined the Royal Canadian Air Force claiming
to be of Canadian nationality on 9 September 1939[4] and was posted to No. 112 Squadron
RCAF. On arrival in England he was sent to No. 5 OTU RAF Aston Down to convert to
Hurricanes and then to No. 1 Squadron RCAF at RAF Northolt on 2 September 1940.

On 27 September 1940 he claimed a Dornier Do 17 destroyed and a shared Junkers Ju 88.
On 5 October he was badly shot up in combat with Bf109's but nevertheless pursued one into
cloud, being later credited with a 'damaged'. His own aircraft crashed on landing back at Northolt
but he was uninjured.

Brown transferred to the United States Army Air Forces on 25 May 1942. He was given the rank
of Lieutenant, later promoted Captain, and held the rank of Major when he retired. He remained
in the service for 12 years after the end of World War II and after the war was involved with the Berlin
Airlift.

Regrettably, neither No. 64 nor No. 609 squadrons have skins for the Spit I.

As mentioned earlier, some of the above individuals later became members of the three Eagle Squadrons
made up of exclusively of American pilots and formed between September 1940 and October 1941; No 71,
121 and 133 Squadrons.

And it seems I may have to adopt an accent of some sort, no matter ... except for the fact that there's
already a pinch of virtual alternate reality (kinda like that Pearl Harbor movie - now I need a beer for the bad
taste in my mouth).

(In a later post I discussed discrepancies about the list of U.S. pilot participants over time)

From Bruv:

(Thank you)

Wiki (some refuse to take this as a valid source but it is oft my first step used in online research .... yielding to more sources with time) considers this a comprehensive list of U.S. pilot participants in the Battle of Britain:

Pilots

According to Kenneth G Wynn's Men of the Battle of Britain published in 1999, and the list currently held by the Royal Air Force,[3] 11 American pilots qualified for the 1939-1945 Star with Battle of Britain clasp:

De Peyster Brown – No. 401 Squadron RCAF
    Carl Raymond Davis – No. 601 Squadron (born in South Africa to American parents. Took British citizenship in 1932)
    Arthur Gerald Donahue – No. 601 Squadron
    William Meade Lindsley Fiske – No. 601 Squadron
    John Kenneth Haviland – No. 151 Squadron
    Vernon Charles Keough – No. 609 Squadron
    Phillip Howard Leckrone – No. 616 Squadron
    Andrew Mamedoff – No. 609 Squadron
    Otto John Peterson – No. 401 Squadron RCAF (?)
    Eugene Quimby Tobin – No. 609 Squadron
    Alexander Roman Zatonski – No. 79 Squadron (?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-British_personnel_in_the_RAF_during_the_Battle_of_Britain#United_States_contribution

(note Reilly's omission [ I originally had him listed] and Peterson and Zatonski's addition - Reilly's family successfully challenged the widespread claim of his U.S. citizenship)

:salute to all
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:18:41 PM by Arlo »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
Art Donahue was a fellow Minnesotan.  He wrote two books prior to his death over the Channel in 1942.  The first was about his joining the RAF and his Battle of Britain experience.  The second covered his time flying Hurricanes in the defense of Singapore.

I corresponded way back when with a New Zealand Spit pilot who had flown as Donahues wing man during the time just prior to his loss.  Had a chance to visit his hometown too down in Southeastern Minnesota.  Its a tiny little town.  They had copies of his books in the local library and the local newspaper had copies of the stories written at the time when he came home on leave.  A fascinating man.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
Art Donahue was a fellow Minnesotan.  He wrote two books prior to his death over the Channel in 1942.  The first was about his joining the RAF and his Battle of Britain experience.  The second covered his time flying Hurricanes in the defense of Singapore.

I corresponded way back when with a New Zealand Spit pilot who had flown as Donahues wing man during the time just prior to his loss.  Had a chance to visit his hometown too down in Southeastern Minnesota.  Its a tiny little town.  They had copies of his books in the local library and the local newspaper had copies of the stories written at the time when he came home on leave.  A fascinating man.

I'm sensing a road trip in my future.  ;)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »
I'm sensing a road trip in my future.  ;)

There is a nice little wartime written memoir by D.M. Crook called "Spitfire Pilot".  He was with 609 squadron during the Battle and talks a lot about Tobin, Mamendof and Keough.  Might be worth tracking down.  You'd cover the most ground representing them in 609 :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »
There is a nice little wartime written memoir by D.M. Crook called "Spitfire Pilot".  He was with 609 squadron during the Battle and talks a lot about Tobin, Mamendof and Keough.  Might be worth tracking down.  You'd cover the most ground representing them in 609 :)

I've submitted the request.  I may try to recruit a skinner. :)

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
I would like to point out I haven't complained once in this thread.
  :headscratch: Odd, the only thing you posted up to that point was a complaint regarding a conversation you weren't even a part of :)  You crack me up  :aok  Thanks, busy day at the office and I really enjoy these little breaks.
ROC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
Speaking of 609.  There is/was an AH player with the ID SF3.  His grandfather was with 609 during the Battle too.  Did some digging on him and he had a 110 kill.  Did a profile of his Grandfather's kite to show him the markings

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters