Author Topic: Battle Of Britain 2013 Registration Now Open  (Read 15308 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Battle Of Britain 2013 Registration Now Open
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »

Oh no you dont! Hurricanes UNITE!!!  :joystick:

Heh!  :aok

"I don't always fly RAF in the Battle of Britain.  But when I do, I fly Hurricanes."

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
I flew Hurri I's in frame 4 of BoB2004 and killed two Ju 88's and put rounds into at least a couple others in four engagements.  They are fast, but not uncatchable.  A little alt on them, and you can catch them.  Also, regardless of whether they are difficult to catch or not, they were in the real battle.

My four bomber engagements: <cut>

In all your images, why are none of the bombers shooting back at you?  Does the film player (and or screen capture) not show other peoples tracers?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »
In all your images, why are none of the bombers shooting back at you?  Does the film player (and or screen capture) not show other peoples tracers?

They were.  Might be that I happened to pick a particular instant for the shot where the tracers back to me weren't visible (in between bursts from gunners), or see below for some other thoughts on that.

In the first engagement, this is what happened to me a few seconds later:

I blacked out, came to, and tried to press an attack on another bomber, but had to break off because of defensive fire:

In the 2nd engagement, lots of defensive fire:

The third one, I was taking hits, but I don't have any pics showing the defensive fire.

For the fourth engagement, here is a pic right before the one I posted previously, and I think some of the streaks are his fire back at me.

I think that it might be in the film viewer, tracers from bomber fire are not as prevalent as it seems in game.  For example, here is a pick of me hammering a Spit V in the recent Mediterranean Maelstrom scenario from in my Ju 88.  I was definitely hammering away at him at this time, and while you see some tracers, you don't see a solid stream of them into the Spit V, which is how it was at my end while wailing away.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:48:05 PM by Brooke »

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
So, we can move inside our own Jafü but not to another one. Easy enough, where the hell are they?
Ahh poo, I thought I took that out of there.  Thanks!  Missed it.

9) Between-Frame Relocation. Frame 1 launch fields are the available airfields used throughout the event.  JG groups my be relocated to any active airfields for the remaining frames.  Relocation must occur prior to frame start, and not change during the frame itself.  Small airfields are limited to 2 JG groups, large fields limited to 4 JG groups.KG/G1/Test Group 210  can only be moved to airfields that have those planes enabled, A119,, A113, A95 and A96.

That's what it was supposed to say  :bhead

Active fields, by the way, simply mean that is where the aircraft are available. Fighters can rearm anywhere.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:57:33 PM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
Was the a4 variant of the ju88 introduced early enough to be in service during the battle of britain? Is the HE 111 we have a BOB variant?

Is the terrain available for download?

I'm surprised it's assumed that few would want to fly stukas in the scenario. If I were on the axis team that's what I would want to fly. Maybe it's because they don't have dive sirens like they should. Sound engineering has always been this games weakness.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
will RADAR operators be able to tell numbers and alt?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
ROC, with the matter of the 20mm cannons, He111Hs were fitting more and more of them in the nose during the BOB. H-3s started carrying them and they were being field-retrofit to earlier models as well.

The criticism was that they fired slower, and weren't much of a deterent from head-on attacks. They don't shoot backwards either. I (personally) don't see a reason to deny them as an option, but either way will work.

Floob: The A-4 we have is definitely post-BOB. It's been the only thing we had since the start, so it's been the only German bomber used in every BOB (including in the FSOs/snapshots, etc), but it isn't time-appropriate.

The dive sirens on the Stukas were removed early on, even during the Polish campaign. They were on Ju-87Bs, and only early models. They were a drag, and slowed the plane down. They served no purpose other than to terrorize civilian populations, and were stripped from airframes for practical reasons.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a picture of a Ju87 with a dive siren on it. Most faired it over with a round bump where the spinner was mounted, like here:
http://www.uavde.com/ju87b/pix-ju87/ju87bStuka.jpg
And later models just omitted the mounting point entirely. It isn't an issue for our BOB, in all honesty.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2013, 05:24:43 PM »
will RADAR operators be able to tell numbers and alt?

The radar operators will be able to see dots, within any active radar ring along the coast.  No way to determine the altitude by viewing the map.   Only the Rook VHs will have tower radar, which is a neutral field, the RAF pilots in flight won't have any radar at all.
ROC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »
I'm surprised it's assumed that few would want to fly stukas in the scenario.

Not assumed -- based on past scenarios with Ju 87's.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
ROC, with the matter of the 20mm cannons, He111Hs were fitting more and more of them in the nose during the BOB. H-3s started carrying them and they were being field-retrofit to earlier models as well.

The criticism was that they fired slower, and weren't much of a deterent from head-on attacks. They don't shoot backwards either. I (personally) don't see a reason to deny them as an option, but either way will work.

Floob: The A-4 we have is definitely post-BOB. It's been the only thing we had since the start, so it's been the only German bomber used in every BOB (including in the FSOs/snapshots, etc), but it isn't time-appropriate.

The dive sirens on the Stukas were removed early on, even during the Polish campaign. They were on Ju-87Bs, and only early models. They were a drag, and slowed the plane down. They served no purpose other than to terrorize civilian populations, and were stripped from airframes for practical reasons.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a picture of a Ju87 with a dive siren on it. Most faired it over with a round bump where the spinner was mounted, like here:
http://www.uavde.com/ju87b/pix-ju87/ju87bStuka.jpg
And later models just omitted the mounting point entirely. It isn't an issue for our BOB, in all honesty.

In the cannon discussion everything we could find said the 111 got the 20mm in the nose with the H-6 which was introduced post B of B so that's what we went with.   If you've got information showing that the 20mm was the primary nose gun on B of B 111s, pass it on and we'll throw it in the pile for next time B of B runs.  At this point changing it to be a field modded 111 with a 20mm would mean every 111 would have them in the scenario and I just haven't seen anything to suggest that's the case in the actual B of B.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
They have to be long, too many legal beagles want to fly by spreadsheet instead of in the air.  And poorly written can be subjective.  If some people can figure it out, others can't, then it's simply a matter of clarification.  Methinks you protest too much.

Oh yes damn those people who want to follow the rules. Jafu.  It does not surprise me that you thinks that. Any bit of protest is too much for most of you.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »
Guppy, check PMs.  :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »
Got em.  Thanks  :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2013, 01:17:56 AM »
Never mind, too easy  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:30:32 AM by ROC »
ROC

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2013, 03:52:34 AM »
Never mind, too easy  ;)

Which means, "Oops, I was about to break another rule as a CM."
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com