Author Topic: Side switchers  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Side switchers
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
I do think, however, that there is something to be said for good old fashioned Chess Piece Patriotism.

And I think that it's quite possibly the single worst thing about how people play the game.

They should be able to switch sides in baseball and football midgame too.

Oh, you mean like when you're having an informal game of football at the park, and a couple people have to leave and somebody else switches to even up the teams?  Yeah.  I like that too.  It's sure a helluva lot better than people standing around screaming 'Shirts 4 lyfe!' 'Skins 4 lyfe!' and refusing to change sides so the teams end up 8 on 4 for the remainder of the game.

Here's a hint-  AH is a pickup game.  There is no chain of command, there is no real strategy.  The 'teams' are not chosen by any control group.  It's a bunch of us running around in a loosely formed gaggle.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »

Here's a hint-  AH is a pickup game.  There is no chain of command, there is no real strategy.  The 'teams' are not chosen by any control group.  It's a bunch of us running around in a loosely formed gaggle.

Wiley.

no, it isnt.  most of the people who switch couldnt care less who wins a map or not, they just want to furball and get kills.  there's a portion that just switch to run with whoever is hording at the time when they can switch.

side switchers are less likely to defend a base or attack one, to some this means nothing as they will easily switch and be on the other side and be the attackers, if it is convenient to them.  they're less likely to resupply or bring bombers or goons unless trying to pad for "score".

what holds the game together are those who dont switch or squads that will stay in one country for a month.  they're the ones who create these fights when attacking other bases. side switchers just take advantage of them.

side switchers are only good for a few things in the game:   the constant whines about how they cant switch due to the time limit. and the lack of "good fights", meaning they want something started for them instead of creating it themselves.  and another "I switch to balance the sides" bs they're usually talking about.

to these side switchers whiners I say  :neener:

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
no, it isnt.

Yes, it is.  Nobody chooses who is on their side.  The players are the ones who choose where they go.

most of the people who switch couldnt care less who wins a map or not, they just want to furball and get kills.  there's a portion that just switch to run with whoever is hording at the time when they can switch.

There's also a portion of them who switch because all they see when they look at the map is green hordes not being defended against, but that doesn't fit into your scenario, so I guess you'll just be ignoring them.

side switchers are less likely to defend a base or attack one, to some this means nothing as they will easily switch and be on the other side and be the attackers, if it is convenient to them.  they're less likely to resupply or bring bombers or goons unless trying to pad for "score".

I might be willing to concede the point that they'd be less likely to attack a base.  Most side switchers are the ones defending a base though, it's a target rich environment.  Also, are you saying if those players didn't switch sides, they'd be constantly resupplying and running goons?  I think not.  To some, virtual delivery truck and bus driver is not fun.  I'm sorry that doesn't fit into your plans to have  other people run goons and supplies to keep you able to fight and do what you want.

what holds the game together are those who dont switch or squads that will stay in one country for a month.  they're the ones who create these fights when attacking other bases. side switchers just take advantage of them.

By defending bases, because nobody else defends.  Win the war types are only ever on the offensive, because taking ground faster than the other sides is by far the best way to win the war.

side switchers are only good for a few things in the game:   the constant whines about how they cant switch due to the time limit. and the lack of "good fights", meaning they want something started for them instead of creating it themselves.  and another "I switch to balance the sides" bs they're usually talking about.

semp

And to the entire chesspiece underoo brigade, I also say :neener:  You're the problem, and you don't even realize it.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
And I think that it's quite possibly the single worst thing about how people play the game.

Oh, you mean like when you're having an informal game of football at the park, and a couple people have to leave and somebody else switches to even up the teams?  Yeah.  I like that too.  It's sure a helluva lot better than people standing around screaming 'Shirts 4 lyfe!' 'Skins 4 lyfe!' and refusing to change sides so the teams end up 8 on 4 for the remainder of the game.

Wiley.

^This.  :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

Wiley.

:O

excellent  :cheers:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
is this the 400th or 500th thread about side-switching involving the negative and/or positive aspects of it?  :huh

The 401St or 501St, but then again consider the source.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »

I might be willing to concede the point that they'd be less likely to attack a base.  Most side switchers are the ones defending a base though, it's a target rich environment.  Also, are you saying if those players didn't switch sides, they'd be constantly resupplying and running goons?  I think not.  To some, virtual delivery truck and bus driver is not fun.  I'm sorry that doesn't fit into your plans to have  other people run goons and supplies to keep you able to fight and do what you want.

Wiley.

defending also means resupplying, watching the town, getting the ords down on the near bases.  staying around a furball and getting kills and switching if you arent getting any is not the same as defending.

semp

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
The 401St or 501St, but then again consider the source.
:huh
what's that suppoesd to mean?
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »

defending also means resupplying, watching the town, getting the ords down on the near bases.  staying around a furball and getting kills and switching if you arent getting any is not the same as defending.

semp

...And if they didn't switch sides, by gar they'd LEAP at the chance to enter the thrilling world of GVing, resupplying, watching buildings, and porking ords.  :rolleyes:

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:35 PM »
I will admit I bomb to pad me score :D
but I onl bomb when there's nothing to do I.E. I just switchted sides to a country hording.
I which point I spend the next 2-3 hours bombing the center of towns
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »

Wiley.

It's a free country and you are entitled to your opinion, and I think you are generally right about it being a "pickup game"....but the sides used to matter to some.  Whatever.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

defending also means resupplying, watching the town, getting the ords down on the near bases.  staying around a furball and getting kills and switching if you arent getting any is not the same as defending.

semp

This may be your interpretation of defending, but it is not for the majority of those who switch sides to find some action that is conducive to their style!
Here's a clue:  Most of he folks who switch sides do it for 1 reason and 1 reason only.
To find the most amount of "red guys", with the least amount of "Green guys" in the shortest amount of time, and for the longest duration possible. It is that simple, also I might add the mere act of these folks switching sides and finding the "most amount of red guys" is an act of defending on its own merit and should not be discounted as " not defending " whether their intent is to defend or not  :aok

Without side switchers this game would be an abysmal bore!

All HAIL side switchers!!!!  Hazaa, Hazaa, Hazaa!!   :x

:cheers:

JUGgler
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:51:07 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
no, it isnt.  most of the people who switch couldnt care less who wins a map or not, they just want to furball and get kills.  there's a portion that just switch to run with whoever is hording at the time when they can switch.

semp

:lol

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
They should be able to switch sides in baseball and football midgame too. They did this in WW2 all the time in fact. Who won the war again I forget?
Neither of those examples are good in reference to AH.  In the first two they have fixed player numbers and strict rules and the second was a war, not a game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
This may be your interpretation of defending, but it is not for the majority of those who switch sides to find some action that is conducive to their style!
Here's a clue:  Most of he folks who switch sides do it for 1 reason and 1 reason only.
To find the most amount of "red guys", with the least amount of "Green guys" in the shortest amount of time, and for the longest duration possible. It is that simple, also I might add the mere act of these folks switching sides and finding the "most amount of red guys" is an act of defending on its own merit and should not be discounted as " not defending " whether their intent is to defend or not  :aok

Without side switchers this game would be an abysmal bore!

All HAIL side switchers!!!!  Hazaa, Hazaa, Hazaa!!   :x

:cheers:

JUGgler

and you are having so much fun switching sides that you have been gone for a while  :rofl.  bring back the 1 hour switch so you can come back and quit again   :old:.

semp