Author Topic: Outboard Engine  (Read 652 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Outboard Engine
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »
Flench..

It was still running a little weird however, after idle for a couple of 10 seconds it would still try and cut out unless choked and throttled.  I am going to try changing to a new tank I got for free, with a new hose.  It almost seems like there or more air than gas running into the motor.

Any ideas?  Want to come to Wisconsin and fix the damn thing for good?  :lol

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
 Check the fuel line and primer bulb for cracks,it could be bleeding air into fuel line.

At idle there may not be enough vaccume to keep the fuel flowing properly.

Did you adjust the idle screw? when it wasn't running right.   Also I'm not sure if you just soaked the carb or took it apart,if you didn't rebuild it I'd suggest you start there.

That is if you don't find a fuel line problem.

:salute

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
Yes, ethanol is a killer.  Its a good thing the govt is looking out for us and increasing from 10% to 15% ethanol.  Those idiots dont have to clean carbs.  I never run ethanol in any small engine.

Non ethanol gas is a booming business, but it is so hard to find the prices are way up.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »

Did you adjust the idle screw? when it wasn't running right.   Also I'm not sure if you just soaked the carb or took it apart,if you didn't rebuild it I'd suggest you start there.

The only screw I adjusted was the one with the knob coming to the outside of the motor housing.  I closed it one full turn, and put the knob back on, and replaced the engine cover.  Will the tank ever create issues if it doesn't breathe correctly?  I have a new tank to use, but  the old one is hooked up currently.

Appreciate all the help!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
   The tank could cause an issue with not venting properly but I would check the fuel line to be sure it works correctly. The return line could be plugged,you could have a check in the feed line,the primer bulb could have cracks,etc.

Without seeing it it's difficult to diagnose but if you try the new tank and still have a problem try a new line and see if that fixes it and if you still have the issue short of rebuilding the carb I cant say for sure.

It's not difficult to rebuild those carbs,the kit is simple and you don't need any special tools!  Take it apart,soak it as already suggested,clean completely then reassemble.

Hope that helps!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
Morfiend or Flench

When I said I cleaned the carb, I basically took the top of the carb off (looks like an airbox), opened the choke, and sprayed carb cleaner down the hole... a lot of it.

The fuel line going to from the tank to engine is new,  I double checked to make sure it was passing fuel, which it is.  Tonight I put the new tank in, and took the top of the airbox on the carb off, and sprayed another healthy dose of carb cleaner down the chokehole.  I am going to run some seafoam in the gas tomorrow and run it across the lake a few times to see if this fixed the problem.

My next question.  Do either of you guys have any manuals that you would be able to send regarding the service and carb rebuild on a 1990 Johnson 15hp?   OR can you point me in the right direction of the manual I would need?  I am scared to do much more than take the airbox off the top as this is something new to me.  I would be willing to make a phone call to one of you fellas, and definitely compensate you for the time and resources you would provide.

Thanks again!

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »

is this what your carb looks like?  I found several carbs online not sure which one is the one ya got.  does it pressurize the tank, or is it a vented tank?  I know some have to pressurize the tank and sme need to be vented.  

heres another carb that has an airbox here is the link that I found those on, might help figure out which type ya got  :aok
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/parts.html
I found a place a while back to get manual for 5 bucks.  I downloaded one for my snowmobile and it worked good
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/170662094-1973-1990-johnson-evinrude-2-to-40
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:21:17 PM by homersipes »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »
 Cool link Homer,I sent one to lazerr but it was pay per view..... :o

unfortunately I think it pretty much what he's going to have to do!

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
Use a racor filter and also a little inline gas filter, i use two racor filters on my yammy high thrust 50
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 07:34:38 AM »
Sorry Lazerr . I have been afk . What's it doing now . Update ?
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
2-stroke?

2-strokes are best run at full throttle, or not at all.

I have an '85-ish Jhnson 4hp SeaHorse.  It has a mixture screw for low speed use which helps, but nothing changes the above fact.  Mine gets funky because I use it rarely, usually only to get in/out of the dock when it is crowded or the winds keep changing, low tide and I can't get the centerboard down, etc., otherwise I am under sail.  This means that I need to go out and run it full blast for a bit, every so often.

You do not have to empty the whole tank, just pull the hose off and let it run dry.  I can't imagine how long it would take me to run my tank dry.  I have a 3 gallon tank and I am still using the same gas from April  :O  (SeaFoam is your friend)

Also, make sure the vent on the gas tank is open, my son closed mine the other day (so it wouldn't slosh out) and I couldn't understand why it cut-out on me all of a sudden  :headscratch:

Here, have a manual (pdf)...   1973-1990 Johnson Evinrude Outboard 2Hp-40Hp

http://www.mediafire.com/?1day5jrr8zicw
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
WOW Von a 3 gallon tank ? Wish mine was a little smaller . It's a 30 gallon tank . I had around 15 gallons left in it from last year and tried to get away by just adding fresh gas to the tank . Did not work that gas from last year look like pure oil . Motor was spitting and carrying on so I finely drained all the fuel and went back with new fuel and no more trouble .

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
WOW Von a 3 gallon tank ? Wish mine was a little smaller . It's a 30 gallon tank . I had around 15 gallons left in it from last year and tried to get away by just adding fresh gas to the tank . Did not work that gas from last year look like pure oil . Motor was spitting and carrying on so I finely drained all the fuel and went back with new fuel and no more trouble .

Wish I could pare it down to 1 gallon, or even 1/2 gallon.  Something small enough to fit inside an inspection port and shove between the dead space in my transom

There are very few situations that I cannot sail out of (lack of wind being one of them) and having the gas tank in the boat takes up cockpit space, especially when racing and trying to move back and forth when I change tacks.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »
Wish I could pare it down to 1 gallon, or even 1/2 gallon.  Something small enough to fit inside an inspection port and shove between the dead space in my transom

There are very few situations that I cannot sail out of (lack of wind being one of them) and having the gas tank in the boat takes up cockpit space, especially when racing and trying to move back and forth when I change tacks.
Oh I see . I am running a 6 hp Johnson for trolling and a 90 hp to get me out there . Got both hooked up to the same tank .