Author Topic: what do you look for in a terrain?  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
Re: what do you look for in a terrain?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
make these 3 uncapturable and the rest of the map I would never even look at. :aok

possible but understand its really difficult. Having uncapturable bases in the center of the map is a balance issue. People would fly out of it to hit any surrounding area and there would be nothing an enemy can do about it. Typically why they are in the back by HQ

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »
possible but understand its really difficult. Having uncapturable bases in the center of the map is a balance issue. People would fly out of it to hit any surrounding area and there would be nothing an enemy can do about it. Typically why they are in the back by HQ

ahhhh.....I never thought about that....(thats because the "War" Never comes to my mind.)

its also understandable :aok

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
I want blue skies and an airfield to lift from.

Not sarcasm, that's all I really care about.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
I want blue skies and an airfield to lift from.

Not sarcasm, that's all I really care about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6RoRRdyTxw wish granted...

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
What do I look for in a terrain?......Sheep, I guess.... :rock
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »

what do you look for in a terrain?

No fighter Town & No Tank town!

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
I like terrains that look realistic.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
Right on Brooke. I think that's what we all want really......... Something that just looks more convincing.  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 05:46:18 AM »
I like terrains that look realistic. Even with the game's default textures it is possible to make the terrain look a lot better than some of the AH1 era MA terrains we have. Just avoid geometrically shaped terrain (square mountains, straight line coastlines etc.) and put in a few rivers and lakes. Also taking the time to paint the textures where they should go, rocky mountains with snow on the top, farms in the river valleys etc.

One thing that irritates me about some MA terrains is that the designer has just used the TE's standard "make roads" facility to create all the roads and then not edited them. This creates all the map's roads and railways and routes them all due north of the bases irrespective of whether there is a mountain in the way. So you get roads running right up or along 60 degree cliffs. It ruins the suspension of disbelief when you fly over one of these.

I don't like terrains that lack CV action, CV furballs are always good fun. If positioned correctly CVs add a degree of unpredictability to an MA terrain. So put at least 3 CV groups in per side with ports near enough to the enemy that they will get used.

Another thing I dislike is big mountains between airfields that force players up to alt and that reduce the amount of action at that point. A player who does take the time to venture over the mountain often becomes loath to give up his alt and fight since he could end up trapped and unable to run home if things get bad. Better to put mountains either side of the direct route between fields to compress the action.

I don't GV but when I was making my map the feedback I got from GVers was to put SPs close together at a field. So for instance not one SP to the north and one to the south, but two to the south a mile or two apart.

Maps that have a large number of front line fields or SPs for players to choose from tend to suffer from a lack of action, particularly in off peak times. But too few bases to choose from can cause the map to become static and boring to win the war types. If you are going to have choke points don't put them on the front lines but a couple of fields back. Outside of the chokepoints I'd suggest giving players 4-6 fields/SPs to choose from on each front line at any point on the map. That gives some variety but doesn't disperse the action to much.

Bear in mind that with the 20% of bases needed to win the war rule that less than half a map's bases are likely to see any action. If you put fewer bases on the map it will get reset faster. Work out how many bases you want to be fought over on your map and then add a load of rear bases behind that to make up the numbers.

One last tip: before you spend a lot of time with the TE on an MA map talk about it to HTC. Send Skuzzy an email describing your map, maybe with a hand drawn map that shows the basic layout. This can save a lot of frustration later when HTC reject your work because the fields are the wrong distance apart or whatever. Also make a post in the TE forum describing it, there's a lot of experienced players there who can save you a lot of time going up dead ends.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:55:29 AM by Greebo »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
A Madame Fifi's Parlour at Strat City with a runway. Maybe then we can get people to resupply when strats get hit.  :cheers:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline killjoy1

• Copper Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
I would position vbases to connect to at least 3 air bases.  This makes them strategically important. 

I also like the classic spawn setup at v85 on "who knows what map".  It's always popular.  How about spawns that can be moved like the CV for vbases.  A moving spawn?  Muahhahaha.  You would have to discover it and destroy the hangers just like a CV attack. 

How about limiting ord loadout at certain bases so B-17's don't bomb**** the vbases?  Put their load out a couple of airfields away.

How about limited plane selection at opposing, uncaptureable fields.  Axis on one base Allied on the other?  Russian vs German?  Whoot!  Let the game winning strategy just go around them.
callsigns:  Rexx, Killjoy, Fluffy

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »
Tank town with airbases so the guys who don't horde can go and have a furball.

To expand this request into my own, make it a grass/dirt/prinitive strip with 0 ordnance (or if a day comes you can limit it to light stuff...).  I know customisable object, but don't got crazy with it and the map size and see if it'll fly on the submition to HTCs.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
Non-paved strips are excellent:

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
You won't be allowed to put any sort of custom object or field into an MA terrain, been there, tried that.

What can be put in one are those same things that are in the other MA terrains, namely the three types of airfields, the V base, the port, the fleet, the strat city and the tank town group. Also the land and sea spawn points, road/rail/barge objects and the shore battery.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:01 AM »
+1 to Uptown and Brooke.

Thats pretty sad though, Greebo.
AoM
City of ice