Author Topic: what do you look for in a terrain?  (Read 4810 times)

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
Re: what do you look for in a terrain?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »
Random fire bases.

A few 88s, 17lb, and maybe even the 4x50s as found in the M16.

Place in direct lines between bases and even on mountains.

Just add a few uncapturable field with the guns and a couple of non-strategic buildings along with the tower and hangar for selection of guns.

Even if the enemy sweeps through the area and captures fields, having these would not mess up the balance since you can't spawn vehicles.

Please don't put an extraneous amount of 88's, cause 88's really have made the game more annoying to play. The 88's are for people who don't want to use their cartoon life to fight so they rather sit in a gun and just shoot till they finally get you. Me personally, I think it is dumb. Why play a video game if you are afraid to lose at one point. Stop using guns so much and learn ACM.  :rolleyes:

:salute
Top Gun

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
A map that helps to promote tactical use of vehicles would be nice. By that I mean a map that would allow vehicles to take part in missions along with aircraft. I realize some of the maps allow this, but those same maps are limited in the possibilities. Take Ozkansas for instance. Once TT is taken it is impossible for vehicles to support a push back into that area. Yet, on the same map you have spawns that travel one-hundred miles from the home base. In essence a more fluid and tactical front is what would promote all around full-time engagements. What Greebo did was quite excellent, but the mistake with TT being isolated actually removes quite a few players from taking part in the action. Oh, you can get a lot of vehicle kills (in both senses), but at the same time it leads to stale, repetitious play. Of course, it will take a very aggressive and insightful map maker to create something that works well.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »
Please don't put an extraneous amount of 88's, cause 88's really have made the game more annoying to play. The 88's are for people who don't want to use their cartoon life to fight so they rather sit in a gun and just shoot till they finally get you. Me personally, I think it is dumb. Why play a video game if you are afraid to lose at one point. Stop using guns so much and learn ACM.  :rolleyes:

:salute

I don't see it that way. The 88s are manned against hordes when you can't up fighters without getting vulched. I found myself doing a lot of field gunning because I can't be bothered to transit flight a full sector only to be ganged 10:1. The 88 and the 30mm are a nice and fun way to punish the horde a little.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
I don't see it that way. The 88s are manned against hordes when you can't up fighters without getting vulched. I found myself doing a lot of field gunning because I can't be bothered to transit flight a full sector only to be ganged 10:1. The 88 and the 30mm are a nice and fun way to punish the horde a little.
+1  :aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »

With no risk to yourself.  Awesome gameplay right there!
Wag more, bark less.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
With no risk to yourself.  Awesome gameplay right there!

Look who's talking. And your hording is exactly what?  :rofl
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
For tank town, a map that is a collection of small islands, maybe 2k wide at most, connected by a narrow strip of land. Would make for some really interesting fights.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
Look who's talking. And your hording is exactly what?  :rofl

First, you got the wrong guy if you think I gravitate to hordes.
Second, I'm in an aircraft that can be shot down and a kill will be recorded against me.
See the difference there?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
I don't think I've ever been hit by 88's, or if I have, maybe once.  They are good to have around because there were lots of 88's in WWII, and no other manned ack has any chance whatsoever against high bombers.  Also, they can give you something to do if all FH, BH, and VH are down at a base.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
I don't think I've ever been hit by 88's, or if I have, maybe once.  They are good to have around because there were lots of 88's in WWII, and no other manned ack has any chance whatsoever against high bombers.  Also, they can give you something to do if all FH, BH, and VH are down at a base.

Me neither... Well scratch that, one time I was deacking at standoff range with the 410. But 88's are harmless, by and large.

And I'd really like to see a few more man guns if anything.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
First, you got the wrong guy if you think I gravitate to hordes.
Second, I'm in an aircraft that can be shot down and a kill will be recorded against me.
See the difference there?

No I don't see the difference. If 88's bother you and you like to dogfight then stay away from fields. It's that simple.

Then again if you want to vulch/horde fields you have to cope with the defenses. You're confusing your own ego now with what others consider fun. I stoped caring about stats when I quit AH the first time. Now I just do whatever feels fun be it sitting in field gun or fighting in air.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
Me neither... Well scratch that, one time I was deacking at standoff range with the 410. But 88's are harmless, by and large.

And I'd really like to see a few more man guns if anything.

88's are not harmless they're just real hard for a beginner. I've scored almost as many direct hits with 88 than puffy kills :)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
No I don't see the difference. If 88's bother you and you like to dogfight then stay away from fields. It's that simple.

Then again if you want to vulch/horde fields you have to cope with the defenses. You're confusing your own ego now with what others consider fun. I stoped caring about stats when I quit AH the first time. Now I just do whatever feels fun be it sitting in field gun or fighting in air.

The difference is you can't be killed in an 88.  Also, as I am sure you are aware, fights can occur over an enemy airfield if you are not vulching or hording.  I go out of my way NOT to interact with GV's or 88's or anything else that isn't flying.  I don't go low enough over enemy bases to get shot down by wirbels, and those guys can have a kill recorded against them.  I'm sure you are an intelligent person Ripley, but it's your own ego that you might want to question.  I'm sure it's great fun to sit in an 88 and shoot at aircraft with no risk to yourself, but it's still lame.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »
CV's

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
The difference is you can't be killed in an 88.  Also, as I am sure you are aware, fights can occur over an enemy airfield if you are not vulching or hording.  I go out of my way NOT to interact with GV's or 88's or anything else that isn't flying.  I don't go low enough over enemy bases to get shot down by wirbels, and those guys can have a kill recorded against them.  I'm sure you are an intelligent person Ripley, but it's your own ego that you might want to question.  I'm sure it's great fun to sit in an 88 and shoot at aircraft with no risk to yourself, but it's still lame.

Excuse me but the 88s can be killed just as anything else player controlled in the game. The fact that AH doesn't collect k/d stats from field guns is not my problem. For you it seems to be. Do you play AH to have fun or to boost your ego through stats?  :t

In the early years of 2000 I still cared about stats. I grew over that phase.

What are you going to complain about next? Players not getting recorded deaths while a CV in their command gets sunk? :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:14:08 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »