Author Topic: How would you design a...  (Read 6249 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: How would you design a...
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
Thanks for your input Mr Witless.  :rolleyes:

You are so very welcome.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »

Nice pic though, where is that? We don't have that kind of open space wheeling here, just tivht pinstripe trails. Natural bugout features though. For those that get into that thought process. I just like getting out where others can't\don't.

The Rubicon.... This is Eddie Oh's crew running out of S. California. I've been to Moab, but not to the Rubicon. I don't expect to get there anytime soon either. At least in Moab, if you fly in, you can rent a rig (typically a lifted JK running 35" rubber). It isn't inexpensive, but it beat driving across the country in the rig you're going to go playing in.

Most of the 4 door JKs seen are running 37" tires, needed to have the same break-over as a 2 door running 35s. Likewise, 35s to equal the 2 door on 33s. That's one of several penalties of the long wheel base. The advantages include the obvious increase in storage and better stability on steep climbs and descents.

My JK, running 33s (which is what I run 95% of the time), with a leveling kit gets up to 24 mpg on open roads, and about 16 around town. If I bolt on the 35s, mileage goes to hell. For two reasons, the biggest being that factory gears are not tall enough for the tires and you have to keep you boot in it a lot. I've found that the small advantage of 35" tires in terms of diff clearance aren't enough to offset the loss of relative power and poor fuel mileage. Besides, my 33" Coopers had no trouble with nearly 3 feet of snow last February. Plows were stuck, by the JK just chugged right on by. If I encounter an obstacle that requires more ground clearance, I find a way around it. I'm not into beating up my equipment just to climb over something ridiculous. 30 years ago with my much modded CJ5 or 20 years ago with my crazy YJ, maybe. Not anymore. Those Jeeps were hobby Jeeps, the JK is also my daily driver.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
Richard Hammond tested this Marauder on Top Gear. It should fit the bill nicely including the IED protection. Search for the episode on youtube.

(Image removed from quote.)

Great episode. I particularly like when he was illegally parked and they tried to tow him LMAO
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
I don't mean to party poop this vehicle fantasy thread, but I can't imagine a disaster where you wouldn't be better off hidden in a shelter / bunker and riding it out. If plop meets fan how can you expect the next or next after that tank full of gas. Anyone know how to pump it out of a petrol station with no power and also secure yourselves while doing it (obvious location for an ambush)?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
Maybe you could just sing your way outta trouble there, Rich :D
                                                                                                                                             :cheers: Oz

LOL, nice one, Oz. Music calms the savage beast, eh? :rock Seriously, I didn't think this would get this much attention, but I should have known better with this crew.  The idea behind this was a bug-out vehicle that could get a family out of an urban environment and sustain it for some period of time.  The preferable situation would be to have an isolated bug-out location to go to.  Some interesting ideas and thoughts here, to be sure.  One possibility no one mentioned regarding the fuel issue is the use of a wood-gas generator, mounted on the vehicle.  You'd only need wood or similarly combustible fuel to feed it with.  I've even seed a rig that you tow behind the vehicle you're powering with it, such that it would be your back-up fuel source in a flex-fuel vehicle. :salute
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
I don't mean to party poop this vehicle fantasy thread, but I can't imagine a disaster where you wouldn't be better off hidden in a shelter / bunker and riding it out. If plop meets fan how can you expect the next or next after that tank full of gas. Anyone know how to pump it out of a petrol station with no power and also secure yourselves while doing it (obvious location for an ambush)?
You build a trap door in the bottom of the 4x4 bugout bus and drive over the tank. Then drop down, break the lock, insert hose and pump it out with onboard power. The bus is your cover. You also can carry a 1000's of gallons with a bus vs smaller vehicles, so fewer times you need to refuel. There's not much you can do about an ambush except avoid them as much as possible.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:25 AM »
You can buy something that would from here, they even have tanks
http://www.armyjeeps.net/index.htm
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2013, 01:57:02 AM »
Like this I suppose.

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:55 AM »
If you have to go big...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2%C2%BD-ton_cargo_truck

Great off-road capability and a multifuel engine.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 02:52:20 AM »
A mid-sized 4x4 diesel bus or truck is the best solution. You can always tow smaller support jeeps, ect. You're going to want high endurance with cargo capability and living space. You have to be self-sustaining just like a ship at sea until you reach the next port.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »
Anyone here spent any time driving a Ford Mutt?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
The 5 tons are nicer. You can change tire pressure in cab and power steering, brakes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-REBUILD-M923-MILITARY-5-TON-6X6-MILITARY-TRUCK-2229-miles-m923a1-m35a2m925/190893723563?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D979841855254357810%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D281155677512%26
I have seen these at govt. auctions cheaper.

As long as you can put a multifuel engine in it that would be perfect. It can probably carry 10 tons without problems as these trucks are pretty over-engineered (the duce and a half is rated for 4.5 tons on-road). A ton or two of armor and guns, 3-4 tons of fuel, 5 tons of supplies and equipment.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »

A buddies RV I work on. Nice to bug out in style and capability.  :aok

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
a friend of mine likes to stock pile ammo as he believes the apocalypse is near.  he always boasts that he will make a lot of money selling ammo.  I just casually mention to him that I would shoot him in the head then take his ammo for free,  based on his expression, he hadnt thought of that.

semp
LOL
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com