Author Topic: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 04:49:41 AM »
Curvy that's insane, I'm squeaking about $30 each a day for day care for the three little ones. Lucky they only go once or twice a week.

It's that or public school...and I wouldn't send my dog to public school here. 
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:18 AM »

live like you do when you made 10k per year.

YW

Nat

:salute

:rofl

Its really good advice +1

They wont listen though :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 07:15:36 AM »
www.myscholly.com- Scholarship finder tool. Even if you've Graduated, you can still use it.
www.coursera.org- FREE College Courses. Included are many well known and respected schools.

Nurse Practitioners make a killing in the States. :aok
Sort of taking the place of P.A.'s

:cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »
Aren't many graduates simply ignoring the loans?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
Your reply is sarcasm?

Tell me your reply is not serious :old:

You know that "AMERICAN" investment companies invest in China and India, please tell me your winding me up :cry
It's not sarcasm. He's foretelling the future of this country if we don't stop "dummying down" to the lowest common denominator.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »

live like you do when you made 10k per year.

YW

Nat

:salute

I have never made 10k a year, so perhaps enlighten me.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
It's not sarcasm. He's foretelling the future of this country if we don't stop "dummying down" to the lowest common denominator.

your 20 years to late :old:

The fact that you cant see its already happened is frightening :old:

AMERICAN INVESTMENT COMPANIES INVESTED IN CHINA AND INDIA BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER :old:

THERE IS NO NEED FOR ENGINEERS IN THE US :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »
you do know that as your career progresses, you will be making more money that may allow you to pay things off differently?  College just gives you a start. Now its up to you. You loan will be getting smaller but your salary should be going up.  

Mine more than tripled after 6 years out of school.

Not bad for a Jr. High Education.   :neener:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
7 years to become a nurse? Would've thought 7 years was high even for a doctor?

She has been a nurse already for a few years,and while doing that she was atteneding classes to become a nurse practitioner, she plans on running or owning her own practice down the road. Not to mention she also took several months off due to pregenancy complications.
VDub

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
Make sure you combine all the loans in to ONE, that will reduce the % you pay.  Also, get the payments on a automatic withdrawal every month, that too will lower your % point.

I think I put my $20,000 out for 30 years.  Ditto for my wife's.

Also, not be be morbid but do NOT combine those loans and do NOT pay them off early.  First, the % you pay is as low as it gets. Any money you'd apply towards paying off student loans early should go towards a house, car, etc, payment.  Secondly, if you die before the loan is paid off the debt is forgiven.  No need to combine with your spouse and force her to carry it on (and vise-versa) due to an early death. 

I was on the 7 year plane for the 4 year degree.  I spent extra time in college writing papers on WWII, seriously.  I enjoyed the 400+ level courses when there were only 3-4 of us in class.   :D 

Than k you for the advice smokin.
VDub

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
I finished college while back with $42,900 debt, I bought a house and car within my budget and my small business seems to be doing alright. However my wife's cancer took a shot in my arm, $76,000 medical bills and that's just the hospital stay bill. I think its additional $13,000 for medication, without even going into the cancer stuff yet.
I imagine I'm sitting around $495,000 debt in which I am paying each bill $20-50 at a time (which is literally at my budgets limit right now).
I gave my truck back to the dealership, they were kind enough to let me give back the truck without any hassle.
Funny how the Debt collectors don't call, but all the ones wanting to help me do (and flood me no less). The hospital has been nice however and let me pay whatever I can without even saying a word, they did pick up a $92,000 cancer bill (charity I guess) - and found a quark in my finances that allow my wife to have medical insurance.
Half a million isn't to bad, I figure when my wife can work again she can probably devote most of her pay to it, and we can still live comfortable, however I still haven't gotten all the bills yet, I suspect another $125,000 in bills.
I used to cry and moan at paying $200 a month on my college loan, my house payment wasn't bad its only $1200 a month, taxes are $2600 a year.

I can't really sink or swim at this point only pay what I can and pray to god my health doesn't slip because life will really suck at that point.
JG 52

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
I finished college while back with $42,900 debt, I bought a house and car within my budget and my small business seems to be doing alright. However my wife's cancer took a shot in my arm, $76,000 medical bills and that's just the hospital stay bill. I think its additional $13,000 for medication, without even going into the cancer stuff yet.
I imagine I'm sitting around $495,000 debt in which I am paying each bill $20-50 at a time (which is literally at my budgets limit right now).
I gave my truck back to the dealership, they were kind enough to let me give back the truck without any hassle.
Funny how the Debt collectors don't call, but all the ones wanting to help me do (and flood me no less). The hospital has been nice however and let me pay whatever I can without even saying a word, they did pick up a $92,000 cancer bill (charity I guess) - and found a quark in my finances that allow my wife to have medical insurance.
Half a million isn't to bad, I figure when my wife can work again she can probably devote most of her pay to it, and we can still live comfortable, however I still haven't gotten all the bills yet, I suspect another $125,000 in bills.
I used to cry and moan at paying $200 a month on my college loan, my house payment wasn't bad its only $1200 a month, taxes are $2600 a year.

I can't really sink or swim at this point only pay what I can and pray to god my health doesn't slip because life will really suck at that point.
I hope all goes well with your wife,.
VDub

Offline John Galt

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
 I am fortunate enough that my dads wife is a good accountant, and has been acting as our money manager for the last few years, which has allowed me to buy a house,with a generous loan from my aunt to put down a sizable down payment, in the end I am saving several hundreds a month over renting, a comparable size house with the added bonus that it is my.
 Another thing that has been helping with bills and allowing us to have money to live a little, is we have picked up shifts tending bar at her dads bar and grill. The income from there is mainly what are loan payments come from, plus we pay her insurance and car payment form it. Plus, I buy my weekly powerball from my tips on the way home, after I win the 345million next week I won't have to worry about payments.
VDub

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »
your 20 years to late :old:

So right! And now let's keep doing what we've been doing that put us in this position.

The fact that you cant see its already happened is frightening :old:

AMERICAN INVESTMENT COMPANIES INVESTED IN CHINA AND INDIA BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER :old:

THERE IS NO NEED FOR ENGINEERS IN THE US :old:

Really? No need for R&D engineers? Keep up with the times. That's not true in Silicon Valley, or Boston, or Austin to name a few. R&D is the final area where we produce world beating engineers, but within ten years, we'll loose out to sheer numbers turned out in the rest of the world.  :bhead

We're allowing foreign engineers to come into this country on B1 visas because we supposedly haven't trained our own engineers. If we'd trained our people, these visas would rarely be issued. The effect is to reduce the salaries for the remaining engineers across the country and make those loan repayment plans more difficult for the graduates. I'm for bringing in foreign engineers for their different perspectives, but the current situation should be an embarrassment to any citizen in this country.

Right now, engineers in India are producing marvelous designs for some mundane new products that cost a tenth of what our export versions run. As India progresses and China reverse engineers our technology, the situation will continue to decline in America while we continue to waste our greatest resource, OUR PEOPLE.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:21:17 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Not bad for a Jr. High Education.   :neener:

yes  :old:  it is up to $7.25 per hour now but I hear it is going to double again!  Sweeeeeet!
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.