Author Topic: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.  (Read 4063 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: 7 years of school on to 20 years of debt.
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
Double post
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »

"I agree if we could get more people to think like me every fighter hanger in the game would be destroyed."

Wow, wouldn't the game be fun then.  We could all fly buffs I guess or drive CV's around.  Again, it seems the "thinking" part eludes you sir.

Easy now, I dont want you to over think this.

:rofl

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2013, 02:14:44 AM »
I think that a lot of what people learn in colleges/universities is nearly completely useless.  I say this as a person who has spent a large portion of his life obtaining university degrees, who subsequently worked in a lot of fields and different types and sizes of businesses, and who has hired people into his departments in a lot of different fields, including people from Caltech, MIT, Stanford, Harvard, and various highly rated public schools (University of Michigan, etc.).

A college degree does provide something akin to "Oh, you got into X, which is a good place, and you did well there.  So, I suspect that you are fairly smart."  It doesn't mean that the person has learned much that is practical for a job, and it doesn't fully correlate with how productive a person will be. 

Majoring in history, music, art, philosophy, theater, languages, sociology, anthropology, gender studies, etc., in my opinion, is flushing money down the toilet.  Those are hobbies -- people should study them in their spare time (unless they are 1 in 100,000 who can make a decent profession out of it).

I think that it is also a waste of money to go to expensive private schools unless they have significantly more usable cache than a good public university.  For example, getting an MBA from Harvard can be worth the money.  Getting a degree from some expensive liberal arts college instead of a good public university is a waste of money, in my opinion.

If a person is going into a technical field at a technician level, a technical school can sometimes be a better choice -- faster, more to the point, cheaper, quicker into the job market, and less useless crap than a university.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:27 AM »
So, given my feelings above, I think that it is not a good use of a country's money to make college free for everyone.  Neither our government nor our universities are very good at "bang for the buck" -- in fact, they are extremely bad at it.

In fact, I think that the government providing tuition to everyone would result in even worse education than we have now.   Any time you divorce the buyer from the seller, you start getting crappier product.

If you want the US to be more competitive, and you can adjust knobs for amount of free education and for other things (such as amount of regulation; tax structure; patent reforms; cultural feelings toward work, achievement, learning, etc.), my feeling is that many other knobs would produce much greater benefit to the nation than creating more free college education.

It's much better to have a thriving economy where there are lots of job opportunities -- and more free college education is not the most-important factor in that dynamic, in my opinion.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2013, 03:00:32 AM »
As for China and India, I've read a source that says once you correct for equivalency of degrees, the US produces a lot more BSE's per capita than China or India.

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2005-12-26/engineering-is-the-u-dot-s-dot-really-falling