Author Topic: TrackIR - Random Axis lost  (Read 708 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
TrackIR - Random Axis lost
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
Been running TrackIR for a few months now... absolutely no issues until tonight.  4 separate times I lose 1 random axis.  First three it was the side to side axis.  Absolutely no movement in game, but TrackIR software still recognizes it.  Last time it was up/down.  Again, TrackIR software sees it but AH doesn't.   :headscratch:

First two times I restarted the game and it fixed it for a bit.  Third time I rebooted computer... that seemed to fix it.  Last time I had to restart AH again and it worked upon reentry.  Anyone else had this issue?
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: TrackIR - Random Axis lost
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
Have you checked your background lighting?  The only time I have ever had issues with IR Tracker is when a light source interferes.  I keep the room dim and only use lighting sources that are behind the IR Track head/camera/receiver.  Hope this helps.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
I'll echo what Traveler stated about the background light. Also check to make sure that the camera is not losing one of the targets. It needs to see all three all the time through your full range of head movement.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
I agree with the others. I have 5 windows behind me. I have "room darkening" blinds on them and it works pretty well. On bright days, or days I fly earlier I also have a set of pull down shades not only over the windows, but another set that over lap to cover any "bleed through" between the window and frame.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
The lighting hasn't changed, so I'm not optimistic that's the issue.  I don't think the camera is losing sight of the headset clip since the green light on the camera stays lit and every other axis works fine.  Plus, like I mentioned, when this first started I immediately alt tab to the TiR software and from there at least, everything is working fine.  

Tis a puzzlement.  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
alt tabing out mat be just enough time for the headset to be reacquired the camera. All it takes is a bit of sun reflecting off something , a bit of dirt that is messing with the connection between the headset and camera. It doesn't take much. I would believe a problem with the TrackIR before I'd believe a game issue.

Remember if the TrackIR looses the connection, even if it reacquires it in seconds to the game it acts like you are starting the TrackIR AFTER the game instead of before.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
How far is the camera from your head? If you are to close or to far away it may cause your issue. Mine is about three feet away, and iirc four feet is about max distance.
If the camera is losing one of the targets the green light will stay lit. It only has to lose the target briefly. The best way to check if your losing one or more targets is with the TIR software running look side to side, up, down, and corner to corner on your monitor if at any point the camera loses one of the targets, or the targets merge that could be where your problem is. If it's neither the lighting or a camera issue then it really is a head scratcher.
Fugi's post made me think of another thing to try. Clean the camera lens, and the reflectors if that's what your target is. The leds seem to be less susceptible to dust than the reflectors but it doesn't hurt to clean them off if that's what your using.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:27:52 AM by SIK1 »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
An occasional software "glitch" can make TIR act odd.  The full computer reboot has always done the trick for me.  If it doesn't, consider uninstalling and reinstalling the TIR software.  IIRC it'll offer to store your profiles but you might want to do that manually just to make sure.  If that doesn't work then I recommend creating a new profile all together using the settings from your original profile.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
Played for a few hours last night...  Everything  seemed ok.

:headscratch:
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
Ok... I might have it figured out.

Fired up computer to play just now, fired up USB hub and connected it to computer.  Internet takes a dump so I says, "Self, reboot cause you need to anyway, reset the router, go clean your dirty arse up, and come back and play."  Self does this but leaves USB hub fired up and plugged into computer.  Come back to play and cannot move my head side to side in the game, but TrackIR software shows all is well.  I think a similar set of circumstances preceded the last hiccup with TrackIR, soooo...

Don't leave your TrackIR hooked up for a reboot.  Maybe...  
      -AoM-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
Mines always hooked up. Maybe you have an issue with your USB hub on boot up?

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
Mines always hooked up. Maybe you have an issue with your USB hub on boot up?

Could be.  Leaving the hub plugged in isn't my SOP.

Computers are stoopid.   :old:
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
Update:

It appears this issue may have been because of analog views still mapped to a second joystick I  use for extra buttons.   Unmapped the analog views and it hasn't happened since.
      -AoM-

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:21 AM »
Update:

It appears this issue may have been because of analog views still mapped to a second joystick I  use for extra buttons.   Unmapped the analog views and it hasn't happened since.

Triton, find a friend to share a two pack of the Cougar MDF by thrustmaster.  Between that, and  the T16000, I have a ton of buttons.  I have buttons set to change to modes 3 and 4 so that is quite an expansion there.  I use mode 3 for the P38 and other limited ammo canon planes so I can switch trigger setting from shooting all guns fire to separate primary and secondary.  Mode  4 is bombers.