Author Topic: GV's overload  (Read 6824 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: GV's overload
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
I would support the motion of having a GV counter.   If more than 5 gvs spawn into my territory it should put a ^ in the corner of the grid.  If 10 come in double ^^.    If its joker style or bish in general triple ^^^  for 15 gvs inbound.   That way me and a teammate can up an A20 in time and get 16 kills and prevent the lame horde approach from winning. 

I have always wondered why GVs have enjoyed such luxuries such as short icon and no version of DAR for them.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »
I have always wondered why GVs have enjoyed such luxuries such as short icon and no version of DAR for them.

I supported a small base capture the other day and made 8 e i g h t kills in a wirb, without even trying.   Needless to say we took the base.  I almost felt bad for them but then they were Bish so Karma.    :t
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
I would support the motion of having a GV counter.   If more than 5 gvs spawn into my territory it should put a ^ in the corner of the grid.  If 10 come in double ^^.    If its joker style or bish in general triple ^^^  for 15 gvs inbound.   That way me and a teammate can up an A20 in time and get 16 kills and prevent the lame horde approach from winning. 

So, if there's 1-5 GV's in the sector, it's like it is now, just the town/base flash, then above that it works as you describe?

Sounds reasonable to me.  I'd support it.  I'd personally add the ^'s to the field, not the grid if that's what you've got in mind.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »

I have a film somewhere of a P-47 diving from 8k because he spotted my Icon and blew up my Panther, yeah.. Limited Icons are needed for GV's otherwise whats the point of having them when you can spot them so easily?

/Lucky for me I was on a hill and fired my gun straight up, killing the 47, but after he picked his ords at 5-6k up?
JG 52

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
So, if there's 1-5 GV's in the sector, it's like it is now, just the town/base flash, then above that it works as you describe?

Sounds reasonable to me.  I'd support it.  I'd personally add the ^'s to the field, not the grid if that's what you've got in mind.

Wiley.

yup < 5  no change,  it will help defenders decide which tank to take also.    ;)  field / town on top of their spawn whatever!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
Recent posts to this thread have a strong element of the ridiculous to them.  I'm not the best virtual pilot, but I can tell you guys that anyone who thinks they need more help to counter GVs attacking bases needs to improve their skill set.  

Using existing game mechanisms I (see above disclaimer) can consistently find GVs attacking a base (assuming I see it flashing).  If there is no dar bar, then there are GVs.  You listen for them.  You up a Storch.  Then you either go out to kill them in another GV (more sporting), or if you like killing baby seals, in a ground attack aircraft.  I've also noticed that many players can find and kill GVs using ground attack aircraft alone, even if hidden in trees (happens to me all the time).  
MH
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:37:34 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
I think it takes an $800 computer setup, a $35 joystick, and $15 headphones -- not that much -- and you can have a very good time.
you forgot the $35 to $45 per month for internet hook up. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »

It's 2013, if you haven't been paying for Internet in the first place...where on earth are you living?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
It's 2013, if you haven't been paying for Internet in the first place...where on earth are you living?

Titanic3, I don't understand what you are trying to say?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »

I was just replying to what hardware costs are to play the game well.

The implication in the post I was replying to was that it was about what the extra cost of AH is compared to being a player only of simpler games (i.e., for simpler gaming, don't need joystick or headphones or as capable a computer).  I do assume that Internet connectivity is already possessed by the simpler gamer, but you are right that $15/month for AH is an AH-specific expense.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:27 PM »
Titanic3, I don't understand what you are trying to say?

I think he's trying to say that since it's 2013, everyone already has a fast Internet connection.  More to the point, everyone who is a potential AH subscriber does.  Personally, I lack the data to confirm or deny his assertion. 

MH

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
Using existing game mechanisms I (see above disclaimer) can consistently find GVs attacking a base (assuming I see it flashing).  If there is no dar bar, then there are GVs.  You listen for them.  You up a Storch.  Then you either go out to kill them in another GV (more sporting), or if you like killing baby seals, in a ground attack aircraft.  I've also noticed that many players can find and kill GVs using ground attack aircraft alone, even if hidden in trees (happens to me all the time).  
MH
And what if there is a plane in the area? How do you know that there are vehicles around?

Also, I want a rough estimate of numbers. If it is just one GV then good luck to him, I will not even bother, just as I do not bother to scramble against a single plane.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:25 AM »

There is a version of the DAR, the town flashes when a nme GV gets near it.  You can tell if a GV has spawned when you see only the town flashing.  I do agree that the short icon has been problematic and perhaps is just a little too stealthy.  Many times, on many maps the icon for a gv only becomes visible at very short range.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »
And what if there is a plane in the area? How do you know that there are vehicles around?

Also, I want a rough estimate of numbers. If it is just one GV then good luck to him, I will not even bother, just as I do not bother to scramble against a single plane.

The situation for planes is analogous, as the plane could be NOE or outside the radar ring.  I doubt you want 100% information in a game like this.

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
<snip> Many times, on many maps the icon for a gv only becomes visible at very short range.

That's for survivability (and it's not enough).  If you try GVing, you will see that in AH with experienced players attack aircraft, left alone, kill the GV every time.  Kind of like if you (an adult) picked a fight with a 6-year-old.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but this *is* the rule.   

MH