Author Topic: Driven to Drink?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: Driven to Drink?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 01:22:05 PM »
I have a friend flew 52's  during the cold war...he was stationed on some Japanese island.....I forget. On his pto said he would just grab a A26 and buz into tokyo and get blasted..

(Image removed from quote.)
 :cheers:
:airplane: At the end of the 25 and 26's careers, there were many stationed at various bases around the world, which administrative officers used to get their 4 hour per month flight time, in order to get their flight pay. Most were qualified to fly those two birds, but a lot were not and there is where aviation nuts like me came in. I got a lot of B-25 time, giving dual instruction and instrument refresher courses though out my reserve time. Then, because of costs, most were retired and replaced by C-45's and C-47's, even 2 C-119's that used to be at Dobbins AFB in Atlanta, but I was never qualified on the flying "Boxcar", but did get a couple of flights as a observer.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
But I wanna hear aviation stories too!  Please post transcript of upcoming said meeting with respect to aviation stories.  There are lots of wannabe pilots here that wanna hear the real deal. :aok

I admit to being a wannabe pilot. :old:

:pray
:airplane: Well, here is one for you. When I first left active duty, I was looking around for jobs and a contract job, flying a DC-3 out of New Oleans to Nassau in the Bahama's, hauling sheet metal for roofing material. I had to land at Fort Lauderdale to clear customs, off into the night sky again to finish the trip. I took off on 09, with the intent of climbing to 7,000 feet and cruising  on in and unload my freight. With thunderstorms around, and a copilot who had about 20 hours in the 3, we did have a AVQ-47 weather radar on board and so I was pretty busy. The first thing that happens when you leave the coast line at night, all references to the ground or water are gone, so you have to fly instruments, like it or not. On this night, there was a lot of "St. Elmo's" fire running all over the instrument panel, on your arms and control yoke and my copilot was about to have a coronary on the spot! I knew that sooner or later, we were going to have a "static discharge", some call a lighting strike, "bang" went the discharge, which blew the tail cone right off the old 3 and some of the discharge wicks had to be replaced later, but the causality was poor old Eugene, he lost it on the spot, puked, turned white, leaned back and passed out. A few more bumps and near strikes, finally got thru the weather, landed, poor Eugene got off the aircraft, said I'll see you later and that was the last time I ever saw him. Guess he caught a Chalk airlines flight back to Miamai. With no passengers or freight, I flew the thing solo back to New Oleans for the next load.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
:airplane:  Man, send me a PM as to when and where, I'll be there for sure.

PM sent
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
Coffee coffee cofffeeeee!  :x  It's what keeps me up until 4 AM in the morning playing Aces High!  Don't tell the Mrs., she will cut me off... :uhoh

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
:airplane: Well, here is one for you. When I first left active duty, I was looking around for jobs and a contract job, flying a DC-3 out of New Oleans to Nassau in the Bahama's, hauling sheet metal for roofing material. I had to land at Fort Lauderdale to clear customs, off into the night sky again to finish the trip. I took off on 09, with the intent of climbing to 7,000 feet and cruising  on in and unload my freight. With thunderstorms around, and a copilot who had about 20 hours in the 3, we did have a AVQ-47 weather radar on board and so I was pretty busy. The first thing that happens when you leave the coast line at night, all references to the ground or water are gone, so you have to fly instruments, like it or not. On this night, there was a lot of "St. Elmo's" fire running all over the instrument panel, on your arms and control yoke and my copilot was about to have a coronary on the spot! I knew that sooner or later, we were going to have a "static discharge", some call a lighting strike, "bang" went the discharge, which blew the tail cone right off the old 3 and some of the discharge wicks had to be replaced later, but the causality was poor old Eugene, he lost it on the spot, puked, turned white, leaned back and passed out. A few more bumps and near strikes, finally got thru the weather, landed, poor Eugene got off the aircraft, said I'll see you later and that was the last time I ever saw him. Guess he caught a Chalk airlines flight back to Miamai. With no passengers or freight, I flew the thing solo back to New Oleans for the next load.

:rofl  That's an awesome story.  Thank you! :rock

I love all these stories like this.  If you have others, please post.  They are very cool and interesting.  I can see Eugene now...  probably decided to fly Aces High instead.   :)

Wonder what happened to him?

You realize, that had you not posted this story, I and others would never have enjoyed reading it and almost being there with you... instead that event would have just disappeared from history... now it's here and maybe Eugene by some freak accident or anyone else might see it one day. :aok

Thanks again... and post more, please! :pray

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
Coffee coffee cofffeeeee!  :x  It's what keeps me up until 4 AM in the morning playing Aces High!  Don't tell the Mrs., she will cut me off... :uhoh

From coffee?  :D

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »
You may need FA, Forums Anonymous

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »
Alcohol is not good for you. :old:

shouldn't start now.

although I understand why the BBS is driving you to drink. :rofl

German proverb:

To live long, eat like a cat, drink like a dog   

:P
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

Are you this bad, yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »

German proverb:

To live long, eat like a cat, drink like a dog   

:P

:rofl

I have that disease "instant sweethunk just add alcohol" so do many others...you just get funny as hell :aok

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
:airplane: At the end of the 25 and 26's careers, there were many stationed at various bases around the world, officers used to get their 4 hour per month flight time, in order to get their flight pay. Most were qualified to fly those two birds, but a lot were not and there is where aviation nuts like me came in. I got a lot of B-25 time, giving dual instruction and instrument refresher courses though out my reserve time. Then, because of costs, most were retired and replaced by C-45's and C-47's, even 2 C-119's that used to be at Dobbins AFB in Atlanta, but I was never qualified on the flying "Boxcar", but did get a couple of flights as a observer.
He also flew in Nam .... I think he was going to relax after sam's and other things that were coming his way....
The last story I heard was nearing the end of his career in the USAF ....Linebacker II? and flying out of UTapao in the 11 day fight.

Could you please share some of these harrowing stories with us?

:cheers:

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »
... and replaced by C-45's and C-47's, even 2 C-119's ...

My dear ol' dad (R.I.P.) jumped out of "Flying Boxcars" in Korea. Made two combat jumps in 'em. He didn't like 'em much.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »
:rofl  That's an awesome story.  Thank you! :rock

I love all these stories like this.  If you have others, please post.  They are very cool and interesting.  I can see Eugene now...  probably decided to fly Aces High instead.   :)

Wonder what happened to him?

You realize, that had you not posted this story, I and others would never have enjoyed reading it and almost being there with you... instead that event would have just disappeared from history... now it's here and maybe Eugene by some freak accident or anyone else might see it one day. :aok

Thanks again... and post more, please! :pray

Eugene caught a ride on a shrimp boat to S. Florida after contracting syphilis in the Bahamas.   

He flew in AH for a while under the name ManOwar....   :)
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...