Author Topic: Driven to Drink?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
Re: Driven to Drink?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
What's the problem with doctors in pilot seats?

Asking as a doctor doing ppl.  :)

They crash a lot.  Although each one only crashes once.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:38:59 PM by ntrudr »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
What's the problem with doctors in pilot seats?

Asking as a doctor doing ppl.  :)

Speaking as a flight instructor, the problem with doctors and lawyers  in the pilot seats is:  They believe they are smarter then everyone and know more about everything and refuse to listen and learn.  They have far to much money, which allows them to purchase advanced aircraft that are far beyond their ability to fly.  Just look back over the FAA aviation accident reports, See how many low time pilots flying advanced, high powered aircraft and have dented the earth have an MD or Esq after their name.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
:airplane: :banana: :salute What a cool bunch of replies! Everything was looking really good until late yesterday afternoon. I have a neighbor who is about 35 or so, named Betty, prettiest woman you would ever want to be caught with in a closet! I had been having trouble with my bowels moving, so went to drugstore, bought me a "Fleet" enima, sounded like a Navy thing, so couldn't be bad. Went home, read directions and it set bend over and you know the rest of the instructions. I thought, man, if I don't get to the bathroom quick enough, I think I better do this out in the back yard! Me and ole "schooter" stepped out in the back yard, me clad only in a "T" shirt, bent over, ole schooter had cocked head and perked up ears and while I was prepareing to sink this thing in my "6", all bent over and I heard: Mr. T.(what Betty calls me), what in the world are you doing? I replied______________________ ____________________, and I will let you guys decide what I replied! LOL

:rofl  :old: :rofl

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
Speaking as a flight instructor, the problem with doctors and lawyers  in the pilot seats is:  They believe they are smarter then everyone and know more about everything and refuse to listen and learn.  They have far to much money, which allows them to purchase advanced aircraft that are far beyond their ability to fly.  Just look back over the FAA aviation accident reports, See how many low time pilots flying advanced, high powered aircraft and have dented the earth have an MD or Esq after their name.

And add in that with those professions they many times have little free time and have difficulty remaining current and proficient which coupled with higher performance aircraft and egos equals bad things happening.

In fairness, not just doctors and lawyers. Anyone with an ego that extends beyond the limits of their capabilities is looking for trouble.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
An airplane will humble you. Not too terribly long ago I made a big mistake of trusting the (reported) weather. Clouds reported bottoms at 8800 and tops at 9500. I was in Bozeman and needed 11k to get over the hills IFR. Temp was a few above freezing at 10 so I figured I should be ok. Hit 9500 and wasn't out of the clouds (I filed 13) kept climbing and didn't think about the temperature dropping as I was still in the clouds. I hit 13 and was still in the clouds - Skywest not 10 miles said tops were 14, so I asked for 15. It was right around freezing now but I still wasn't picking up ice. All the sudden it started raining (freezing rain) and the airplane literally stopped climbing. I was right at 14 and it would not go any higher. (I was in a T182) I had radar, it didn't show anything and it caught me totally by suprise. I told ATC I needed to go down NOW - I was out of the mountains (ish) and landed at Billings to collect myself. It was 55ish on the ground and I still had ice on the plane.

After that I told my boss if it was within 10 degrees of freezing and flying in IMC neccesitated the flight, I wouldn't do it. I told him if he didn't like it he could get me a more capable airplane - we haven't had to cancel any trips yet but that was last spring. He's not gonna be happy with Winter around the corner when I stop flying.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
That's also what happens when a Texas boy who only knows what he read about ice in the books flies in Montana for work.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
 :lol ferkin Hilarius  MrT..

did you ask the nice lass to give you a hand?

certainly driven to drink now,

:salute

CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 10:53:25 PM »

* looks at shiny spinner *

* swims away *

- oldman

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
An airplane will humble you. Not too terribly long ago I made a big mistake of trusting the (reported) weather. Clouds reported bottoms at 8800 and tops at 9500. I was in Bozeman and needed 11k to get over the hills IFR. Temp was a few above freezing at 10 so I figured I should be ok. Hit 9500 and wasn't out of the clouds (I filed 13) kept climbing and didn't think about the temperature dropping as I was still in the clouds. I hit 13 and was still in the clouds - Skywest not 10 miles said tops were 14, so I asked for 15. It was right around freezing now but I still wasn't picking up ice. All the sudden it started raining (freezing rain) and the airplane literally stopped climbing. I was right at 14 and it would not go any higher. (I was in a T182) I had radar, it didn't show anything and it caught me totally by suprise. I told ATC I needed to go down NOW - I was out of the mountains (ish) and landed at Billings to collect myself. It was 55ish on the ground and I still had ice on the plane.

After that I told my boss if it was within 10 degrees of freezing and flying in IMC neccesitated the flight, I wouldn't do it. I told him if he didn't like it he could get me a more capable airplane - we haven't had to cancel any trips yet but that was last spring. He's not gonna be happy with Winter around the corner when I stop flying.
:airplane: Just remember when IFR, if you start picking up freezing rain, if you can at all, CLIMB, because the air above you is warmer or it wouldn't be raining, that will get rid of the ice. Sounds like you made the correct decision considering the bird had quite climbing.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »

Some would say that in this case a pilots license should be mandatory with every lawyers degree.  :devil
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bobcat81

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:05 AM »
:airplane: :banana: :salute What a cool bunch of replies! Everything was looking really good until late yesterday afternoon. I have a neighbor who is about 35 or so, named Betty, prettiest woman you would ever want to be caught with in a closet! I had been having trouble with my bowels moving, so went to drugstore, bought me a "Fleet" enima, sounded like a Navy thing, so couldn't be bad. Went home, read directions and it set bend over and you know the rest of the instructions. I thought, man, if I don't get to the bathroom quick enough, I think I better do this out in the back yard! Me and ole "schooter" stepped out in the back yard, me clad only in a "T" shirt, bent over, ole schooter had cocked head and perked up ears and while I was prepareing to sink this thing in my "6", all bent over and I heard: Mr. T.(what Betty calls me), what in the world are you doing? I replied______________________ ____________________, and I will let you guys decide what I replied! LOL

:uhoh
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
-VIKING9- anti-horde
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - My Hero
Complacency is death.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 05:54:38 AM »
Some would say that in this case a pilots license should be mandatory with every lawyers degree.  :devil
:rofl :aok
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
Alcohol is not good for you. :old:

shouldn't start now.

although I understand why the BBS is driving you to drink. :rofl

^ what ink said.

I loves me my beer, but it was never any good for me, gets worse for me as time goes by.

(Potentially less expensive than gorgeous 35-year-old neighbours though.)
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »

bwwahahaha
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »

* looks at shiny spinner *

* swims away *

- oldman

You are a better man than I.

:devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.