Author Topic: Need a good keyboard.  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Need a good keyboard.
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:16:25 PM »
Ive had it with Logic Tech and need to find a good keyboard. I ordered one from New Egg, a Das Keyboard, and when it came i saw the GD thing didnt even have key numerals and numbers on it. So I had to send it back, got screwed with a restocking fee and shipping, an am still without a decent keyboard. I do need pass thru USB ports and dont want wire less. Recomendations appreciated.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need a good keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Thanks I'll look into it. Ive had a pretty miserable time with keyboards so I want my next one to be my last for awhiles.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »
what have you been buying? anything under $30 is pure crap...

take a look at the razer black widow keyboard if you have the cash...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »
 Rich,

check out Zboard!  If you play FPS games you can likely find an overlay for your favorite game.   

They come with 2 overlays,1 is a standard keyboard layout and the other has a handpad with the basic ASDW setup for easy access.  They are completely programmable and have 2 usb ports built in.

:salute

PS: I have 1 that's almost 10years old and still works like a champ.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »
Thanks I'll look into it. Ive had a pretty miserable time with keyboards so I want my next one to be my last for awhiles.

Look at the Logitech keyboards.  If you can find an old Logitech G11, it's a good solid keyboard with a couple of passover USB ports but its been out of production for a couple of years and may be tough to track down an unused one.  I would also recommend looking at the G19, the successor to the G11 and features comes with a couple of powered USB 2.0 ports instead of passive ones like the G11 and most other keyboards with a USB port.  The G19 is pricey but it is a very good keyboard and lasts a very long time, like the G11 which I'm still using after 9 years of heavy gaming use.  The G510 is also good but I don't think it comes with a USB port and instead with intergrated USB audio for headsets.

Logitech G19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126324

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Look at the Logitech keyboards.  If you can find an old Logitech G11, it's a good solid keyboard with a couple of passover USB ports but its been out of production for a couple of years and may be tough to track down an unused one.  I would also recommend looking at the G19, the successor to the G11 and features comes with a couple of powered USB 2.0 ports instead of passive ones like the G11 and most other keyboards with a USB port.  The G19 is pricey but it is a very good keyboard and lasts a very long time, like the G11 which I'm still using after 9 years of heavy gaming use.  The G510 is also good but I don't think it comes with a USB port and instead with intergrated USB audio for headsets.

Logitech G19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126324

ack-ack

I noticed you didn't mention the G15. Is there any reason why?
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:50:56 PM »
The G15 is a good one too, forgot about that one.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
I bought a Razer Anansi after using cheap keyboards for years. Its a colossal difference for relatively little outlay :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 04:38:21 AM »
If you want a proper keyboard that lasts you have to go mechanical.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 05:47:44 AM »
I had a Logitech G510 and got tired of the 11 processes that went with it.   I now have a Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 and enjoy it.   It uses the Synapse 2.0 software, as does the Nostramo keypad and Razer Mamba mouse. 

The Black Widow is backlit and mechanical.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:49 AM »
I had a Logitech G510 and got tired of the 11 processes that went with it.   I now have a Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 and enjoy it.   It uses the Synapse 2.0 software, as does the Nostramo keypad and Razer Mamba mouse. 

The Black Widow is backlit and mechanical.   

I'm assuming you mean the Logitech Gaming Software Processes in which case that can easily be trimmed down to 1 (Logitech Gaming Framework), a far cry from 11. The reason so many are there by default is the LCD items which can be turned off by deselecting them and restarting the software. If I turn everything on for my G19 then it can easily be ~10 running for that alone, but honestly there are a lot of useless apps for the LCDs; personally I run 3 items, Profile Selector, Youtube, and AIDA64.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36:43 AM »
You and I got two very different Das keyboards.  The second best keyboard I have ever had.  The first was the original IBM AT keyboard.

The Keytronix Lifestyle keyboards (if they still make them) are pretty good and durable as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »
I'm assuming you mean the Logitech Gaming Software Processes in which case that can easily be trimmed down to 1 (Logitech Gaming Framework), a far cry from 11. The reason so many are there by default is the LCD items which can be turned off by deselecting them and restarting the software. If I turn everything on for my G19 then it can easily be ~10 running for that alone, but honestly there are a lot of useless apps for the LCDs; personally I run 3 items, Profile Selector, Youtube, and AIDA64.

They would return.   Also, the quality of Razer is untouchable.   There were 11 processes eliminated by switching keyboards.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
I ordered a Razor Black Widow.

Heres my drama with keyboards. First i had a , actually have, a Logic Tech G15. One of the little plastic feet broke off and I asked them for a new foot. Instead they send me a brand new keyboard, one without USB pass thru, that I didnt even want and couldnt use cause for some odd reason my rudders only work on keyboard pass thru. So this new one sat on my shelf, 'their reason is they said they didnt make the G15 anymore", until a day came when I actually got my rudders to work on a Hub. At that time I took the new keyboard they sent me and started using it.

And guess what? A little plastic foot broke off. I went to and for with them about it and they said they couldnt replace it even tho they still made the keyboard. So they lost a long time customer, "I bet i spent 2 G on them over the years", over a 2 cent plastic foot. Whomever is running Logic Tech they must have a mental problem.

So then I order a Das Keyboard from New Egg. I open the GD thing and it doesnt even have numerals or number on its keys. They are all blank! I call this GD NEW Egg and they tell me they have to charge me a 15% stocking fee to return it. Even tho neither the board or box has a crease in it. They would have sold the thing again at full price once they had it back so I tore the box out of spite. So Im out 15% of $130 plus $15 to ship it back to them.  :furious

I just ordered a Razor from B&H video the place Ive bought all my video gear from. There would be no 15% fee from them. They are a very good company to do business with. Anyway I bought it and will now spend the rest of my life trashing both New Egg and Logic Tech. I just bought an expensive racing setup from LT and this plastic foot thing really pissed me off.

Thanks for the recommendations.